1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

building 54 f100

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
several weeks ago I started on the interior then got busy at work. so not to much has happened, except today, I pulled the motor and tranny out so I can get the tacked up mounts and cross members welded. wanted to do it earlier but did not get around to it.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:34 AM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
About a month ago I started installing the replacement wire harness ( hay wire 21 circuit ) it is roughed in. Will need to fix and install the flip front then install the grill and headlights etc.

Two weeks ago I read about the quality and failure rate of the cheaper ( made in china) steering columns. So I have replaced my column with a tilt ididit column.
Today I installed a lokar floor shifter with a 24" shifter. The lokar quality is pretty good. It is mounted on top of the C6 transmission that is very close to the underside of the transmission cover. So now I have to refab the transmission cover to fit the shifter. The second issue is that it rides a bit to far back on the transmission so when it is in low gear the shifter is up against the seat. So I will have to deal with that. I'm thinking to put a 5 degree back bend just above the first and only bend, that should put it about 6 inchs from the dash when it is in park. I looked at what they offer for different length and bends. I just need to figure out if it can be done.
I have a 5 ton press to bend pipe so I have the means to do it. Just wondering if the shifter handle with the inside cable will survive. several steps forward and a couple backward.

Last week I bent the header pipes for the duel exhaust, one flattened out in the bender, the bender does not have rollers. This morning I took them to an exhaust place and they replicated the bends. so they are going in place when I get the mufflers. I ordered Bassani pro xs, they will be here in about a month.

I have decided to go with a vintage air universal heater, as a result, I will be filling in the extra firewall holes. Prepped them ready to weld, this afternoon and will weld them up tomorrow afternoon.

That's the progress update.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 AM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
I have a new 12 volt light switch for the 56, I was thinking of using it in the 54 but the wire terminals are different than the 54.

I was wondering has anyone used the 53-55 six volt headlight switch when converting to 12 volt?

If I go with the 56 light switch in the 54 does anyone have a wiring diagram or a list of where the wires go as the terminals are lettered for identification.

Thanks for all answers and help.

One last question, I have not yet fabricated the top shock mounts for the rear axle. What is a good shock size? I'm using the stock shock mounts from the dana 60. The bracket is a welded to the axle tube and the bolt holes are near the bottom of the bracket. Should I just have the weight of the truck on the leaf springs and install the top mount to the unloaded length of the shock, or do I split the difference of the shock travel?

Thanks

Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
been a long time getting to this point. Had the front windshield and back window installed today.

The rear window gasket did not go in well. All four corners are like this. It is a used aftermarket window.
I'm wondering if the glass is not the correct at the corner cut. It seems that if i push the gasket out it looks like it might seal the gap.
The gasket is tight to the cab flange.
We tried two different rear glass's and two different gaskets. The gaskets are the correct part numbers.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What brand of gasket did you use? They are not all equal.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
The first one i think was from lmc. via a local vender. I do not have the package anymore. The second one is precision replacement parts corp.

Both gaskets looked the same.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 PM
Jules The Great
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the precision one is in a green ish bag they are often very good. What brand is the glass?

Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Last weekend I insured the truck and took it for a short boot around the block..well several. with out the front and rear windshields it was like driving an atv. 390 runs strong.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:48 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Jules The Great
If the precision one is in a green ish bag they are often very good. What brand is the glass?

Yes it is in the green bag. Both rear windows are after market. One window (used ) was included with the 56 when i bought it. The other glass I bought used. Both several years ago.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:53 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
I'm thinking the glass is the problem. It seems to me if the glass was out a bit further at the 4 corners it would move the gasket out further where it would perhaps seal better. Both windows are very close in length but the installed one is a tiny bit shorter on the radius than the first one that was installed. That one was broken in the removal of the window to try the second gasket.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Figured out the rear window glass problem. The glass guy installed it from the inside not the outside. Had no idea.

Took the truck out for a longer drive today, still needs adjustment in timing. Wipers need a park adjustment. Proportioning valve needs a bit of adjustment. Can't lock up the brakes. It is an under the cab power brake set up, with a small vacuum boost.
small stuff. Front bumper head light rings and finish the interior still need attention.

I have installed an unrestored box on it while i'm getting ready to restore a better condition one. Once installed final paint, next spring.

But its now an insured driver. Feels good after almost 6 years.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by rannaska
Figured out the rear window glass problem. The glass guy installed it from the inside not the outside. Had no idea.
The glass installer is correct. The rear window does install from the inside.

congrats on getting it on the road. That is a massive milestone!

Old 01-04-2021, 07:36 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass

Painted cab several months ago, then started on box. will repaint cowel with box paint.

keep finding imperfections on base coat and fixing before clear coay on box.

painted new fenders base and clear mat, then fumbled fender scratching it so back to repairing a finish paint.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:43 PM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Been busy then forgot pass word changed email etc, life gets in the way. Now In the last 3 months, IO have time to get back to the truck. Drove it last year when it was pale yellow and spray can paint. Now it is a proper base with a clear mat finish.

This was my first real paint job other then rattle cans. I have painted some areas over three times trying to get a good paint finish, It has been an interesting learn as you go. Still learning but, painted my tow truck between goes at the 54.

Once that 54 complete I will start my 56 f100 that has been sitting about 4 years.

Quick Reply: building 54 f100