Sponsored by: Moser

Ford Sync wont update

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM
1stFordTruck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Sync wont update

My 2013 FX4 with 4.2" Sync with MyFord showed I had a Sync update available on my Ford Owners site. I downloaded the update and have tried to follow directions but it keeps saying the files are not found.

I have 3 USB drives that are empty and have been formatted to FAT32. I extracted the files and placed them on the usb drive. I have confirmed each one that they are there. I have re-downloaded the file 3 times and extracted them and went thru the whole process several times.

When I have the truck running and radio on, usbb inserted and go thru the menu to the 'Install Application?' it says Files not found.

I have spent about and hour messing with this. Do I need to go to the dealer? Anyone else have these issues?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you are not putting the file in a folder, otherwise it will not read it. Usually the thumb drives that are the simplest are better. I have the cruisers that have a lot of added folders to them and they usually never work well with this type of thing.

Here are the steps for the non MYFORDTOUCH...

Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.

Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between ten and thirty five minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.
Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.
Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.

Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.
Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.
SYNC USB displays. Press OK.

USB Selected displays. Press OK.
Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.
SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.

SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.

In another approximately 10 minutes (timing may vary per update), SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.
SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.
Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 1stFordTruck
My 2013 FX4 with 4.2" Sync with MyFord showed I had a Sync update available on my Ford Owners site. I downloaded the update and have tried to follow directions but it keeps saying the files are not found.

I have 3 USB drives that are empty and have been formatted to FAT32. I extracted the files and placed them on the usb drive. I have confirmed each one that they are there. I have re-downloaded the file 3 times and extracted them and went thru the whole process several times.

When I have the truck running and radio on, usbb inserted and go thru the menu to the 'Install Application?' it says Files not found.

I have spent about and hour messing with this. Do I need to go to the dealer? Anyone else have these issues?

Thanks.
Hi 1stFordTruck,

Can you provide the names of all files and folders on the root directory of the USB drive?

Shaay

Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 PM
1stFordTruck
Junior User
Here is what is on a blank thumb drive

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Thanks, 1stFordTruck. What is the size of your USB?

Shaay

Old 03-29-2016, 01:20 PM
1stFordTruck
Junior User
8GB Cruzer

Old 03-29-2016, 03:23 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I think Cruzer have some hidden files in that try to auto boot and will NOT go away with a format. You might do a quick search to the exact name of your flash drive. The MFG might have a removal tool too.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:27 PM
1stFordTruck
Junior User
For some reason all of my thumb drives are SanDisk Cruzer in many flavors/sizes. I chatted with them online and they said as long as you do a full format (not a Quick Format) then all files are erased. I came home and formatted 2 different drives and copied the extracted files to the thumb drive. Went out to the truck and still saying Files Not Found.

I then took a 3rd drive and went into computer management and deleted the volume, and then re-created the volume and formatted it. I moved the files over and getting same results 'Files Not Found'

Is their a particular brand that works best? If so I will get one tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

I'll get this escalated to my support team, 1stFordTruck. You've tried a lot with no success. Please send your full name, VIN, & best contact number in a private message.

Shaay

Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM
1stFordTruck
Junior User
Thanks. PM sent

Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Thank you, 1stFordTruck!

Shaay

Old 04-01-2016, 04:09 PM
cdmm151
Senior User
I just did the latest up date and it screw my sync up. The hang-up button now redials the last person when I am ending a call. So I have to wait for the caller to hang up or push the end button on the touch screen. If the caller is on a land line It won't hang up at all unless I push the on on screen end button. Any Ideas as to fixing the buttons to work asthey are supposed to?

Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 PM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying this, too, on my 2012 Lariat ........ for the first time.

My 'screen flow' seems to go a little differently than documented, but I eventually get to 'USB selected' ........... but after that, I get "No Media Files".

I've tried a couple times.

The USB drive is FAT32.

Its 3.75 GB.

At the 'root level' I have

install.lst
and
SyncMyRide folder, which contains 8 files: 7 are .cab and 1 is .sec

I cant "see" any other files. I dont know if this is a 'CRUZR' drive - how can I tell ? I dont see anything like 'CRUZR' under properties.

Please advise. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:56 PM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I'm trying this, too, on my 2012 Lariat ........ for the first time.

My 'screen flow' seems to go a little differently than documented, but I eventually get to 'USB selected' ........... but after that, I get "No Media Files".

I've tried a couple times.

The USB drive is FAT32.

Its 3.75 GB.

At the 'root level' I have

install.lst
and
SyncMyRide folder, which contains 8 files: 7 are .cab and 1 is .sec

I cant "see" any other files. I dont know if this is a 'CRUZR' drive - how can I tell ? I dont see anything like 'CRUZR' under properties.

Please advise. Thanks.

Well the first download was BEFORE running a Vehicle Health Report .... I did not think that was needed .......... but after running the report, I downloaded again, and this time I also received an

autoinstall.lst at the root level (report related ? user error ? not sure)

Guess I will try it again.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 PM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Well the first download was BEFORE running a Vehicle Health Report .... I did not think that was needed .......... but after running the report, I downloaded again, and this time I also received an

autoinstall.lst at the root level (report related ? user error ? not sure)

Guess I will try it again.

I also noted that the file dates changed from 3/22 on the 1st download to 3/29 on the second. Wonder why ?

Quick Reply: Ford Sync wont update