Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Undefined issue with an explorer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Undefined issue with an explorer

Hi,

Last weekend the 2 wheel studs sheared off on the right rear of the vehicle while on the highway going to our next destination. Since the destination was a visit to my parents, dad said pull it into the garage and see what you can do. Since it was a couple of sheared wheel studs, I headed to the local auto parts store for 2 wheel studs and 3 lug nuts.

I replaced them and drove the car down the street. There was a braking or rubbing issue. I looked at it further and spring by the adjuster snapped and the parking shoes looked like they needed replacement. So I ordered the parts but I didn't get them in until today. Well once I got everything set right, the issue with the parking brake cleared up. However, I am experience an ABS like symptoms. The catch there are no lights or indicators coming on except for a brief advancetac light. However the truck will not go faster than 20 mph or even a few hundred feet. I have to coax it to make it back to the garage. The engine feels like the power is being cut off at certain points in getting the vehicle back into the garage.

Since I have limited time during the week, I have not been able to really look into. Luckily, we have a loaner vehicle (Yes the 2008 Focus has returned) Before I take it to the local mechanic, is there any thing I should look at or know of?

Once again no steady lights. The vehicle got to my parents fine with no issues. I know I didn't mess with any electrical components in performing the stud replacement.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:17 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I think the brakes are dragging... no ABS light, but truck wont move forward, drags in revers... check your brake assembly -- emergency brake cable setup at the wheels.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

I thought that too. However, you can hear the ABS kicking in and out. A malfunctioning caliper could give the ABS system like issue I would think. My code reader will go to work to check for any ABS based codes if there are any present. It would suck to have the car towed to a mechanic to find out it is something simple and quick to fix.

On the other hand, the Exp is 11 years old, has 151,000 miles, and paid off. However, it is now getting to the nickel and dime stage of life. It feels like I am spending some coin on repairs every few weeks for something stupid here and there. Anyway, I will figure this out. See what happens...

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Quick update...

I stopped at my parents this morning to read the computers. A code came up in the ABS module and reported a C1963. C1963 is a stability warning message. Now this could mean I have several locations too look for this issue. The sensor, the tone ring, the wiring and the ABS module itself. However, the sensor or the tone ring look to be the most common. The sensor was replaced a while ago. My focus will be looking at the tone ring instead since it could have been damaged in the stud failure replacement. Upon further research, a tone ring looks like it could be a challenge to do in the garage. I am going to look into more before I commit to something that may be above my head even with videos and/ or the lack of proper tooling. At least I found out I could disable the ABS to get the vehicle moving to a repair location if that is my choosing.

This would accurately represent what I have been experiencing. The computer of the vehicle reporting an unstable road condition. The RSC programming is kicking in. ABS is going into overdrive and locking up the brakes preventing further travel. I should know what I will be doing in the next few days as time allows.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:49 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Update....

Turns out the axle was shot. I found out how to disable the ABS and get it to a mechanic. Since the shop has been used by the family before, I trusted what I was going to be told. The mechanic put the Ex on the lift, showed my dad what was going on. Besides the tone ring which had failed, the axle CV joint failed as well. The mechanic suspected it had been failing for some time now. He estimated 2 days and 400 bucks plus tax. $430 OTD and 2 days.

Other note, my wife said the vehicle feels better and there was no weird clunk or noise when she would accelerate from 40-55. She said that was starting to happen the few months once in awhile but had noticed a bit more in the last couple of weeks.