Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for brakes again.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:12 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Time for brakes again.

I am replacing brakes all the way around. Fronts first, then the rears after I get some more cash. I tow 5-10k about 30% of the time.

I want to use EBC Greenstuff Pads and Power Stop rotors. Any feedback on this combo?

Amazon.com: Power Stop (AR8580XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop (AR8580XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor: Automotive

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP71308 7000 Series Greenstuff SUV Supreme Compound Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP71308 7000 Series Greenstuff SUV Supreme Compound Brake Pad: Automotive

Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by crazytwo
I am replacing brakes all the way around. Fronts first, then the rears after I get some more cash. I tow 5-10k about 30% of the time.

I want to use EBC Greenstuff Pads and Power Stop rotors. Any feedback on this combo?

Amazon.com: Power Stop (AR8580XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor: Automotive

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP71308 7000 Series Greenstuff SUV Supreme Compound Brake Pad: Automotive
Since you tow a fair amount it would be wise to consider the braking setup on your trailer as part of the "combo" No setup on the Ex alone is going to be adequate to control an additional 10,000 lbs

Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the EBC greenstuff pads and HATED them! Brake dust was HORRIBLE, which I could live with if the stopping power was upgraded. I didn't notice any difference from any other pads I have used before or since. If you like cleaning brake dust off your wheels, go for it! Just my experience, good luck!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazytwo

Amazon.com: Power Stop (AR8580XPR) Drilled and Slotted Rotor: Automotive

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes DP71308 7000 Series Greenstuff SUV Supreme Compound Brake Pad: Automotive
I had some greenstuff brakes on my last change. Unfortunately my rotors warped so I just went with the powerstop kit rotors and pads. I think the greenstuff brake better but only having them for a couple of months you can take that with a grain of salt. I have no issues with either setup.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:47 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy67
I tried the EBC greenstuff pads and HATED them! Brake dust was HORRIBLE, which I could live with if the stopping power was upgraded. I didn't notice any difference from any other pads I have used before or since. If you like cleaning brake dust off your wheels, go for it! Just my experience, good luck!
We are the minority here Chuck, but I'm with you...

Old 02-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
We are the minority here Chuck, but I'm with you...
I'll jump in with y'all. While I don't have them on the Excursion, I've used them on a few previous vehicles and the brake dust was ridiculous. The Jeep I didn't really care because, well... Jeep. But the Chevelle, STi and G35? I was cleaning those wheels so much it wasn't even funny. I ditched the Greenstuff and went to ceramic's instead, brake dust diminished significantly as did stopping distance. Granted the first stop was always longer until the pads got some heat in them, but after that they stopped hard and fast.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:04 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will throw a vote for Powerstops kit pads. They are working fine for me on all four corners using their drilled and slotted pads. A year later and the zinc coating still has the rotors looking new and no warpage. No brake dust to speak of and predictable stopping even when towing heavy. They last a good while in all of my other applications also.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Thanks for the input. I am not as concerned about brake dust. I want stopping power and rotor longevity. I don't like warped rotors.

If not Greenstuff pads, what else?

Old 02-28-2016, 06:38 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Since you tow a fair amount it would be wise to consider the braking setup on your trailer as part of the "combo" No setup on the Ex alone is going to be adequate to control an additional 10,000 lbs
Yes. All my trailers have brakes on all axles. I just don't want rotors that are made from crappy Chinese castings. I thought the Greenstuff pads would be the ticket but I guess not.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:48 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
So a few of you don't like the Greenstuff pads. Help a brotha out and cough up the goods. What do you feel are better pads that won't break the bank.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:55 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I use Hawk Performance HB302Y.700 LTS Brake Padand cryo rotors and tow 7-10k regularly. Fabulous set up. Zero issues.

Prior to that motor craft rotors and HD pads... took them off after 5K 'cause rotors warped and stopping effort was much higher. I would also recommend SS brake lines.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:07 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered the Hawk pad with the P compound. I am hoping for the best.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordboy67
I have the EBC Yellows, and they are pretty dusty too. Breaking was improved for me by a lot. However, I did have a stuck slide pin before my new brakes and rotors...

Old 03-18-2016, 12:08 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
New brakes have been installed. They are better than the Raybestos that were on there. I cleaned up the slide pins with a scotch-bright pad and brake cleaner. Looking back at it, I should have sanded the pads down for smoother movement. Maybe if I eat my Wheaties.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 PM
59CRL
Senior User
Sounds good on the better performance brakes. I had my back ones done last week.
I went with oem rotors and pads. I only drive 10 miles to work then 10 miles back every day. I do tow a few times a year but always remember to brake early. Havent warped a rotor on my SUV ever.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for brakes again.