Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is My Transmission Toast???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is My Transmission Toast???

2002 F250 4x4 7.3 have had some problems in the past with transmission slipping, or at least thats what I think it was. Sometimes when the truck was cold it did not want to go. If you let it warm up for a few minutes it would drive like normal. It has done that periodicly for the last couple of years. This is not an everyday driver I use it to haul off trash and haul mulch or just drive on weekends because I love this truck. The other day my wife called me and said the truck did not want to go, and she was scared to pull out in traffic. I went to get her and the truck. I was hoping it just needed some trans fluid but I checked it and it was good it was still red and did not smell burnt. So I limped it home and it kept slipping but once up to speed it seemed ok until you put it under any kind of load. So I checked the codes and got a PO733 and a PO732 which I looked up and they both say Transmission concern. Other than the slipping there is nothing else. No noises or leaks or burnt clutch smell. Is there anything I should look at before throwing in the towell and spending 3k on a rebuild? Thanks for any responses.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
How many miles on the trans? Sounds like it needs to come out for a good look at the least.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
I am not sure how many miles are on the trans or engine. I bought the truck in 2009 and the odometer did not work. I put a used cluster in it after I bought it just to keep up with the miles I put on it and so I could keep up with oil changes and stuff. Like I said it is not an everyday driver so I have only put about 50K on it since 2009. I was just wondering if there may be other causes for this problem.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sounds like it has to come a part. I'd bit the bullet and rebuild or buy a used one at the salvage yard.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
A common cause for your concern is a loose Forward Clutch Feed Bolt above the Valve Bodies. Warming up the fluid causes some expansion of the case and aids to seal the feed bolt. It might be worth a shot to drop the Valve bodies and take a look. The usual cause of looseness is due to movement of a worn Center support housing, to which this bolt attaches. It is not a permanent type fix, as it does not address the root problem further inside. But, it can buy you some more time on the transmission's life.
Here is a pic of a loose Feed Bolt. It has been backed out further by hand, but you get the jest of it.
Name:  Loose Feed Bolt.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  139.7 KB

Old 03-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Rose88racing
Senior User
Originally Posted by mueckster
A common cause for your concern is a loose Forward Clutch Feed Bolt above the Valve Bodies. Warming up the fluid causes some expansion of the case and aids to seal the feed bolt. It might be worth a shot to drop the Valve bodies and take a look. The usual cause of looseness is due to movement of a worn Center support housing, to which this bolt attaches. It is not a permanent type fix, as it does not address the root problem further inside. But, it can buy you some more time on the transmission's life.
Here is a pic of a loose Feed Bolt. It has been backed out further by hand, but you get the jest of it.
Attachment 141774
My bolt (front) closest to the bellhousing in my 4R100 was loose when I took it apart. I know it was not up to torque specs

Old 03-25-2016, 06:16 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rose88racing
My bolt (front) closest to the bellhousing in my 4R100 was loose when I took it apart. I know it was not up to torque specs
Yes. Yours was the Overdrive apply feed bolt. It can loosen up also. All feed bolts should be checked and retorqued. When mine loosened up, it was the Forward apply feed bolt, as shown. Reverse worked great. Shifted fine. It gave up the ghost while hooked to my utility trailer. Slipped going forward, but backed up "like nobody's business'. I chose to go through the entire transmission and make necessary upgrades. I have personally been inside of a few of these transmissions and have helped several with their rebuilds by via forum posts, PM's, and phone calls.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Thanks for the advice mueckster . I think I will try to see if the clutch feed bolts may be loose. I have never taken the valve body off. How difficult is it and is there a step by step guide to checking the clutch feed bolts? Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I will post one up for you later tonight.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Thanks!!!

Thats awesome man I appreciate the heck out of it.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Here ya go! The procedure is taken from my Ford manual on dvd.
I recommend, if you are reusing the bolts, that you clean them and the threads in the case. Make sure they are dry and apply small amount of blue Loctite to the first couple of threads. Leave any of the dry type sealant that is on the bolt threads. The manual doesn't include the feed bolt torque in the procedure, so I added the additional picture.

Valve Bodies R&R.docx

Name:  Feed Bolt Torque.gif
Views: 681
Size:  21.3 KB

Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Thanks again I will give it a try!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Finally Powerstrokin
Junior User
Ok guys its official..... My Transmission is Toast!!! I have priced a rebuilt trans. with billet torque converter. I received an estimate of $2000 thats with them towing it in and changing it out. comes with a 1 year warranty. what do you guys think? if anyone knows of a good transmission shop in the NC triad area let me know. The place I am refering to is in Salisbury NC. I have not talked to anyone that has had work done there. I would feel better if I had heard some testimony. Please feel free to offer any advice.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) in Lead Hill, AR is where I would go if I lived in the southeast. Do it once, do it right.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 PM
bigreentruck
Tuned
Is is possible to just pull a side panel or something to access these bolts, or does the tranny have to be pulled to accomplish this?
For our edification, Sir.
Thanks boatloads again.
You guys STILL rock for knowledge & helpfulness.

Quick Reply: Is My Transmission Toast???