Sponsored by: Moser

2012 f150 ecoboost help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:08 PM
mpbrix92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 f150 ecoboost help

Good evening this is my first thread, I am about to make the biggest purchase of my life looking at a 2012 f150 ecoboost. It's the xtr package, it has 35000 miles on it. Please I'm looking for opinions or reviews about reliability before I sign the deal, also is it worth spending an extra $2000 on a extended warranty? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just so you know the XTR package is Canadian so this truck is a Canadian vehicle that has been converted and sold at auction. I would go over it with a fine tooth comb as far as overall condition, underneath the vehicle, etc. If it is white and from Alberta I would suggest you pass on it.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 PM
mpbrix92
New User
I don't know what you mean if its white, the truck is red in color, I noticed on a few parts of the truck underneath some rust but it seemed like it was just on the surface, I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles but I loved my 03 f150 expect the motor was gutless. What things should I look for when you say look at it with a fine tooth comb I appreciate your reply, do I need to be worried buying a Canadian truck

Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a Canadian truck. Look at its history though, the one I looked at a few months ago had very little on the CARFAX report. I ended up passing on it because it had 2,400 idle hours, which made that 48,000 miles MUCH more severe than others that hadn't idled.

Check the engine hours, they can be accessed through the "System Check" option in the message center. I'd be wary of trucks with high hours. Divide total miles by engine hours and you'll have an average speed. Low hours and higher average speed is better.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The warranty is negotiable, address the deal from that angle if you like the truck.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mpbrix92
I don't know what you mean if its white, the truck is red in color, I noticed on a few parts of the truck underneath some rust but it seemed like it was just on the surface, I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles but I loved my 03 f150 expect the motor was gutless. What things should I look for when you say look at it with a fine tooth comb I appreciate your reply, do I need to be worried buying a Canadian truck
I think what he means is that white is a common color for a work truck that might've been beat on or abused. It's a craps shoot buying an ex-work truck, because a business might take very, very good care of their vehicles, or just abuse them for two years and maybe change the oil a time or two.

EDIT: And the Ecoboost is anything but gutless. It will pin you to the back of your seat with its wide torque curve.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:30 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I'd check the engine hours like others have said just to rule out it having a ton of idle hours. As far as the Eco Boost engine, it is a great engine. They have had some issues but not really any more than any of the others. The two that really stands out is the misfire issue that can happen in wet weather during long periods of low boost operation(like driving on cruise on flat ground)that allows moisture to build up in the intercooler and when you finally get on the throttle the water gets sucked into the engine and causes a misfire. There is also the timing chain rattle that has been popping up on some engines. To check for this let the truck sit overnight and start it, if the engine makes a knocking or clanking sound at startup that comes from the front of the engine either walk away or make the dealer fix the timing chain before you commit to the purchase.

We have 49,000 trouble free miles on our 2012 and even with these potential issues I would not be hesitant to buy another Eco Boost engine.

The warranty thing is up to you, find out what it has left for the power train warranty since it might be different since the truck was sold in Canada originally. If there isn't much left and it will give you piece of mind purchase and extended warranty that cover the major power train components.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
I wouldn't worry about a Canadian truck.
For the most part yes, but if you are interested in a truck from Canada, The underside will be coated(U.S. requirement) which could cover up rust that would be untreated. Also, depending on the area, more or less salt on the roads could cause more rust. Also, Canadian trucks are worth less than their U.S. comparables so don't pay U.S. prices. There is room to negotiate.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:28 PM
TheNewman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Olytlr
For the most part yes, but if you are interested in a truck from Canada, The underside will be coated(U.S. requirement) which could cover up rust that would be untreated. Also, depending on the area, more or less salt on the roads could cause more rust. Also, Canadian trucks are worth less than their U.S. comparables so don't pay U.S. prices. There is room to negotiate.
i'm really glad I read this. I looked at and passed on a Canadian truck due to potential corrosion. It was under coated and looked REALLY good except one spot that was downright NASTY and under the hood was horrible. After talking it over with my Dad I decided to pass on it because I couldn't tell if the truck had been undercoated prior to be exposed or when it was in a dealers hands as a way to cover up the issue. So, from your post, all Canadian trucks are undercoated once they are imported into the US? If that's the case I walked away from a mess.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:21 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
The exchange rate is kind of favorable right now for US money to go to Canada. I would expect quite a few trucks to be purchased in Canada & shipped here just due to the favorable rate. The XTR is a nice looking truck and 35000 miles is nothing for the EB. Looking at the Car Fax and a proper inspection is a good idea no matter where the vehicle came from.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheNewman
i'm really glad I read this. I looked at and passed on a Canadian truck due to potential corrosion. It was under coated and looked REALLY good except one spot that was downright NASTY and under the hood was horrible. After talking it over with my Dad I decided to pass on it because I couldn't tell if the truck had been undercoated prior to be exposed or when it was in a dealers hands as a way to cover up the issue. So, from your post, all Canadian trucks are undercoated once they are imported into the US? If that's the case I walked away from a mess.
Yes on the undercoating. Now, not all Canadian imports are bad. You can get a really nice truck for a decent price. Just understand Sync does not have all the options the U. S. trucks do and parts by VIN can be a little frustrating.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Interesting...what's different about the Canadian Sync?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 PM
mpbrix92
New User
Old 03-29-2016, 10:10 PM
mpbrix92
New User
Well I pulled the trigger let's hope this truck does me week l well

Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator