1998 F150 XLT 6.5' Flareside Custom anchor point/tie downs dilemma - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

1998 F150 XLT 6.5' Flareside Custom anchor point/tie downs dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Junior User

BRONC-OH is starting off with a positive reputation.
1998 F150 XLT 6.5' Flareside Custom anchor point/tie downs dilemma

Well, I got a good deal on a 1998 F150 XLT extended cab, 6.5' flareside (stepside) bed pickup. I bought the truck to use as a truck meaning I need to haul stuff in it.
I had not had a stepside since the 70's and was very disappointed when I finally got to looking at my new/old truck in more detail. Fiberglass fenders over a metal box. No stake pockets, long plastic rail caps that snap into the fiberglass.

The 4 low mounted anchor points inside the bed are OK but are somewhat limiting, especially if you are hauling tall items. I need some rail-top or just inside the top of the rail anchor point options.

I have been searching all over the web for a perfect solution. Maybe I just haven't been searching long enough. I just can't believe that nobody offers a good aftermarket solution made specifically for this truck. There had to been more than just a few made and you would think one or two of them were actually used for hauling a variety of items.

Before I start cutting plastic and drilling holes all over the place, I would appreciate all suggestions on high mount anchor point tie-downs. How did you solve this problem? Pictures would be great too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
I took two of a 3/8 inch stainless eye bolt and drilled a hole down from the top, thru the plastic top rail, thru the steel rail and put a big washer and nut under the rail. They are mounted about 12 inches from the cab wall........... this will allow me to have high up tie points when hauling a stove, refrig, etc.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Postmaster

first today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant future
Tractor supply sells a tie down track that mounts under the rails on the side walls. The tie down points are adjustable in the track.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Junior User

Been all through the Tractor Supply web site, can't find it. Do you have a link or specific item?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Postmaster

first today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant futurefirst today has a brilliant future
You are right. I looked and did not see them. I did a search and found them online. Here is a link. http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrB8...yYY_X9rEKIJhs-

This looks better than what I saw at tractor supply.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM
New User

dsgreene71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
E Track might work for bed box?

I have had good experiences using the "E-Track" type components. I like the availability, (Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc...), and there are a lot of choices for the tracking, (horizontal, vertical, single slot, multi-slot by length...) and anchor types, (rings, ratchet strap, hooks, etc...).
I have found that most E-Track stuff is reasonably priced, highly versatile, and up to heavy-duty loads.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch...not my intention, I just thought it might be a good solution to consider.
For reference, here are some links to product pictures and explanations...

Accesories Trailers | E Track | Straps | Van Trailer

https://www.google.com/search?q=e+tr...bih=1004&dpr=2

Hope you find what you need,

Cheers
Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Junior User

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I just installed 4 of the 5" Core Trax tie downs.

I cut out spaces for them on the inside edge of the plastic rail caps with an oscillating tool. Cut a piece of 1 x 1/8" aluminum for backing behind the bed steel instead of the supplied round washers. I figured that would provide better support. Installed with supplied 1/4" screws and locking nuts.

Decided to leave the center indentions empty for now, but I do have the 5" Core Trax to put there if I want to later.

Looks pretty nice and unobtrusive. Satisfied so far.
Attached Images