1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap or build?! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 AM
00leveledlariat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap or build?! Need help!

Hey guys got a 2000 super duty with a 5.4 triton and 4r100 trans. Had. Leaky head gasket so i went ahead and pulled the motor to just do both main seals both gaskets and just inspect everything else. Now, i'm looking into power adders. I regularly tow roughly 17,000 pounds and the old triton just doesnt quite do it. So, v10 swap? Build the 5.4? I have plenty of time as i have a different daily driver right now. Just need input and help. Thanks guys

Old 03-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
If you regularly tow #17k, you need a diesel. The 5.4 will just not cut it no matter what you do. Even a V10 would have a rough time with that weight on a regular basis. Both can do it, but it will work the dickens out of them.

FYI, I just drove a 2012 RV that vehicle dry weight was 12,500 lbs and had the 2V V10, 4.30 gear and only 16,000 miles on it. What a pig! The whole family was disappointed in the power. Just to get any substantial power out of it was in the 3500+ rpm range. Needless to say, we did not make the purchase.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:18 AM
00leveledlariat
New User
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
If you regularly tow #17k, you need a diesel. The 5.4 will just not cut it no matter what you do. Even a V10 would have a rough time with that weight on a regular basis. Both can do it, but it will work the dickens out of them.

FYI, I just drove a 2012 RV that vehicle dry weight was 12,500 lbs and had the 2V V10, 4.30 gear and only 16,000 miles on it. What a pig! The whole family was disappointed in the power. Just to get any substantial power out of it was in the 3500+ rpm range. Needless to say, we did not make the purchase.
Okay but i mean when i pull that much weight, its not for a prolonged distance. I just want to make the most reliable and preferably naturally aspirated power that i can. I haul anything from other trucks, to roundbales, to skidsteers, to smaller trackhoes, cattle, its always something. I'm looking at doin anything from boring it, heads, rods, pistons, headers, cams, tune, and all that good stuff. I'm also regearing it. Just need some input on my best options other than a new truck. Motor swap is definetly an option.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 AM
tsw902
Senior User
Build the 5.4l imo

Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
You should research how you plan to build the 5.4. How much $$ are you going to be in just the engine when it is complete. You could have enough money in just the engine alone, when you could have purchased another truck with better powerplant. By the time you are done, how much coin are you going to have in this truck? What shape is the remainder of the truck in?
You may be better suited to buy a reman. that will have a warranty and be good to go. As you stated you are going to swap gears, so that's another expense.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yah I wouldn't dump a bunch of money into it. I have a 03 5.4 that I've owned for nine years. Great truck. But I think your money would be better off upgrading to a more powerful base engine if you're looking to get real power.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM
00leveledlariat
New User
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
You should research how you plan to build the 5.4. How much $$ are you going to be in just the engine when it is complete. You could have enough money in just the engine alone, when you could have purchased another truck with better powerplant. By the time you are done, how much coin are you going to have in this truck? What shape is the remainder of the truck in?
You may be better suited to buy a reman. that will have a warranty and be good to go. As you stated you are going to swap gears, so that's another expense.
A reman motor direct swap is about 2,500. The body and frame and everything else on the truck is in great condition. I just want to do something kind of unique. Definetly dont want a fast unreliable truck. But i want a little more torque and pulling power

Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 AM
tsw902
Senior User
If you do go about rebuilding the 5.4, I'd strongly recommend rebuilding your transmission while your at it. I'd personally use a HD rebuild kit. Something im getting close to having to do, unfortunately.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Lightning 5.4 swap.....

Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 PM
00leveledlariat
New User
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Lightning 5.4 swap.....
All the lightning motors i have found are not for a super duty though. At least they say they aren't. Would it bolt up to my 4r100? Would i still have the 5.4 reliablity with a supercharger? This is something thats definetly crossed my mind. More than anything i really just want to do a v10 swap. But i got plenty of time and i'm open to each and every suggestion.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to find a diesel you can throw all the money you have at the 5.4 and it will still not have the torque you need. and the more power you build it to have you have to think about how long will it last its one thing to build a strong gas engine and another to build a strong gas burner that you will run everyday and have to use the power everyday. its harder on a gas burner than a diesel you can build a stronger diesel and it will still be more reliable than a built gas burner. it would be one thing to drop a 460 big block in than to build your 5.4 to have more power. there is a reason why vehicle companies you just drop in big block gas burners over trying to beef up a smaller gas burner. the big blocks like the 460 and chevy big blocks did good in those trucks are because one they were designed for heavy use and the other was the fact that they had bigger cc ratings in the heads and cylinders to make more power. while diesels have a higher compression ratio and are more suitable for medium truck platforms that haul heavy loads.
your truck would be unique with a 5.4 lighting engine but you would still have the same issues that you have now with towing you would still run into that barrier and on top of that the lighting engines were not designed for heavy towing you could have premature failure or parts starting to wear out faster for example the supercharger and other parts associated with it like cooling that you would be putting to their limit when you towed up to 17,000lbs you would have to focus on other things like the cooling system, oiling system and things like that to make sure you wouldn't be sitting on the side of the road while trying to tow. when you start to add power adders you up your chance for future problems and more work for yourself. diesels yes they have a turbo but they are designed for the work aspect of towing and being used for heavy loads and stress. unlike a gas burner that can only tolerate half of what the diesel can.
I am not trying to steer you in any direction just food for thought if you were to build your 5.4 I would suggest only doing things like boring it out forged pistions and connectiong rods and a solid crank and beefer cams and stronger timing chains and guides and things of that nature so that you give yourself more CCs in the heads and cylinders so that you will not stress the engine anymore than you have to like with a supercharger or a turbo those are things for a gas burner that add stress to things like head gaskets and sparkplugs and injectors that can only handle so much stress for so long till you start having problems. if you were to build a 5.4 and race it on the weekends but drive it daily you would have no problems but to tow everyday or several times a week will be a huge stress on the 5.4

Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightning engine uses the same 5.4 block as the platform. I have owned a regular 5.4 and a modified lightning before.

If your doing any power adder on that 5.4 make sure you get better rods. They are the first things to go on those engines when you add power. If it was me I would put in better rods, pistons and keep the stock crank to save costs. My lightning internals were bone stock and I put down over 400tq to the wheels and drove thst thing like i stole it and never had an issue.

If you do cam, you need 2. Gets spendy.... I would look for a magnum powers blower or the like, kennel Belle etc and bolt it on. Get a tune from one of the lightning tuners (dante) and have fun! You may need different injectors and 255lph fuel pump as an upgrade as well.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:39 PM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
The problem I see here with adding superchargers and turbos to the 5.4 while towing how much of the time will you be into the boost. The more you are into the boost because of how much throttle you are using. The more boost you are into while towing produces more heat. besides the added compression in the cylinders means more stress on internals. If I was you i would just fix the head gasket and leave the truck alone. You will also have to rebuild the transmission. I found out the hard way. I rebuilt a motor in my wife's 68 Mustang and put it all together only to pull the transmission back out and get it rebuilt. So if you do anything think about how much this is going to cost and go look at a newer truck.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bone
The problem I see here with adding superchargers and turbos to the 5.4 while towing how much of the time will you be into the boost. The more you are into the boost because of how much throttle you are using. The more boost you are into while towing produces more heat. besides the added compression in the cylinders means more stress on internals. If I was you i would just fix the head gasket and leave the truck alone. You will also have to rebuild the transmission. I found out the hard way. I rebuilt a motor in my wife's 68 Mustang and put it all together only to pull the transmission back out and get it rebuilt. So if you do anything think about how much this is going to cost and go look at a newer truck.
I would agree with the cost aspect, this will not be cheap. Expect 5-6k to rebuild the engine with the blower etc. Add another 3k or more depending on the trans... You could easily buy another truck.

I towed heavy with my lightning every once in a while and it never had an issue pulling it. Braking and getting bucked around was always fun.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
I do a lot of local farm hauling (hay, cattle, skid steer, farm equip) with gcvw ranging from 21-32,000lbs
I swapped in a 12 valve mechanical Cummins two years ago and couldn't be happier, engine is mildly tuned to around 350hp making lots of load pulling torque while getting better mpg than the 6.0 that blew up at 95k miles.
Just burned thru a tank of fuel where my tandem dually trailer was never unhooked hauling round bales (3 loads of 11 2000lb rolls and 4 loads of 18 1000lb rolls) a 10000lb skid steer and an old Ford tractor and side mount corn picker I found setting in a barn, all local Ky hills and hollers driving averaging 12 mpg.

Quick Reply: Swap or build?! Need help!