1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tie Rod Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 PM
northernroots
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie Rod Question

Have a question, my 96 F250 has been making a funky almost clicking noise suddenly from the steering column. At the same time, the power steering seems to be going, has enough fluid, and sometimes fine sometimes no power steering. The steering has been somewhat loose for a while ut I was pulling around on the tie rods to see if they were loose and seem to be okay, only thing it does is when you turn the wheel, where the two rods connect right below the power steering the joint goes up and down, but no side to side play. I was not sure if that was a normal thing.

Ironically my 95 grand cherokee has a similar issue with the rod on the driver side you can twist some front and back. It has been making a loud metal thunking noise when you go over a bump, accelerate or hit the brakes, not all the time but a good 40-50% of the time. Loud enough at first I thought a shock broke or a spring on the suspension, but everything else I can see looks fine.

I suppose if anyone has thoughts on either of those. I will post a pick of the F250. the first pic with the light on the joint is the joint that goes up and down, or the two separate a little and then come back together, but again no side to side play. (looks like it posted them upside down so it is the joint on the right.

Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2016, 10:44 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
If the joint can be moved by hand then it probably needs to be replaced. How much is it moving? an 1/16" of an inch or a lot more?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Note: Mine looks different. I have 97 4x4. Mine did that! It was horrible. i ordered a complete new set up. I found one part in the set up I did not have that stops the rotating. on the passenger side of the tie rod there should be a rubber pad bushing between the ball joint of the drag link and the tie rod hole. get the rubber pad, pull the drag link off the tie rod put the pad on the joint and put the joint back on. the pad keeps the drag link parallel and from moving so much.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ It would look the same if the truck were on its roof. OP's photos are upside down. But +1 on the complete setup replacement; if one joint is bad, and they are all of aprx. the same vintage, it's best to replace it all wheel-to-wheel. And if you can appreciate play in a joint just by hand, it's beyond shot.

The better way to look for looseness / play is "dynamically". Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you watch underneath. Look for movement/play between the tie rods and knuckles, between the pitman arm and the ball joint that goes into it, etc. You might see movement that you can't create just trying to move it by hand. If you do, it's a sign to replace.

My favorite approach is to buy all four components AND new sleeves, and build the whole thing on the floor first. Take measurements of the existing setup on the truck before removing anything, and match those on the new setup. Then drop the whole existing assembly at once, and replace. Don't separate any of the components. This way, if something goes wrong, you can re-hang the whole old assembly and still drive the truck.

As for those "pads", that's an aftermarket trick to reduce/minimize tie rod roll. Shouldn't really be needed with new good quality components, but might help if steering is still loose after replacement. Usually they're installed where the tie rods meet the knuckles.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by northernroots
It has been making a loud metal thunking noise when you go over a bump, accelerate or hit the brakes, not all the time but a good 40-50% of the time. Loud enough at first I thought a shock broke or a spring on the suspension, but everything else I can see looks fine.
For the clunking try tightening up the fender bolts ...

Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
northernroots
New User
Thanks

Thanks for the responses, will take a look at those things. seems on on the truck the power steering feels like going out, but then making a clicking noise when turn in the steering column and the play in that one joint, i would say it moves up and down a good 1/8-1/4". Didnt seem like any others were moving at all when turning the wheels.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Time for a new one

Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
BBuford1962
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hussler
For the clunking try tightening up the fender bolts ...

Man I chased a clunk noise for a month before finding the passenger side fender bolts were loose. Once I tightened them up, no more clunk!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BBuford1962
Man I chased a clunk noise for a month before finding the passenger side fender bolts were loose. Once I tightened them up, no more clunk!
Is there a special material used to shim fenders?