Sponsored by: Moser

Can you bleed brakes on a slope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:54 PM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions as always

I've gone ahead and ordered a new brake booster.

Still need to deal with the lines. Can I just put new fittings on the existing lines? The first one broke right at the fitting and I cut the 2nd one off right at the fitting. Seems like there is plenty of play/extra tube to reach the ports on the master cylinder.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You can do anything you want, but weigh for yourself the likelihood of having to go back through it again. And again. I don't mind maintenance and repair but once is plenty at least when it comes to brakes.

Good brake work cannot be done half assed or piece meal and you want to keep the peace at home. Marathon brake bleeding sessions are not good. Not telling you to remove the radiator cap and drive a new truck under it, but think how pissed off you'll be if the hard lines start blowing or start shedding 40 years worth of old rust and sediment into your nice new wheel cylinders. Once you start looking at all new wheel cylinders, drums, master cylinder, hoses, (Nod your head "Yes") another $50 on top of that and bending up some hard line is an easy decision. Good brakes are worth the extra effort.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:03 AM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
Wow, has it really been 3 months since I decided to tackle the brakes! Guess those "slow" build threads have nothing on me.

After some time tracking down various fasteners and pins and wavy washers, I cleaned up and painted the booster bracket and got the new booster in and brake pedal reattached.

I got some new brake fittings and some line from the local parts store and the basic tools to bend and flare the lines. I made a semi satisfactory double flare on my first try, but decided to try again. Each time got a little worse... until the POS flaring die broke on the 4th attempt.

I then ordered the fancy Eastwood flaring tool... I told myself if it just needed to work once to pay for itself. Let me tell you, it lives up to its reputation. What an awesome tool. Perfect flares.

I think the hardest part may have been getting the new fittings threaded into the proportioning valve. What a pain!

I got everything bolted back up and things were looking up. Time to try and bleed the brakes. I removed the rear passenger wheel and hooked up the little vacuum gadget per the instructions and got a whole lot of nothing. Remember, the truck is on a hill with the rear higher than the front. The brake system has been open to the world for many days. Having never done this before I wasn't sure if I was just doing it wrong or if there's so much air in the lines it will just take a while... The vacuum holds and I pumped it up to 25 mm/hg but still no sign of fluid. I even tried pulling the bleeder rod out of the proportioning valve, but it didn't make a difference.

So, I thought before I gave up and come posting for help, I'd just see if I could get fluid to bleed out of the front to make sure I was using the vacuum thing correctly. I removed the passenger side front wheel and carefully applied even, strong pressure on the bleeder screw and was feeling pretty good when it started to slowly move... until the top sheered off.

I think Steven@nd and Tedster9 are right... once you start on old brakes you just keep going.

Any advice on replacing the calipers? I'm assuming trying to get the remnants of the bleeder screw out is not worth the effort. Any reasonable upgrades to do at this point or just go with remanufactured versions of what's there?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:45 AM
Ozzie H.
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the bleeder screw. That's a bit of a disappointment. Your last paragraph about sums up my experiences. Perhaps others may have additional suggestions, but I'd probably do what you said. I suppose that the remnants of the bleeder could be extracted by a knowledgeable person using all the facilities of a machine shop. Years ago they charged me $20-25 for a standard exhaust manifold bolt extraction from a head when I was able to find someone capable of doing it successfully without damaging the original threads. I would expect that working on a bleeder would be even more difficult. Whatever you go back with might benefit from having some anti-seize compound on the threads. If the manufacturers would do this for the exhaust manifold bolts, etc. a lot of grief could be avoided on disassembly.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 AM
belshe92
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inline tube makes a great brake line kit that's who I ordered from I'll have to dig up my receipt but I'm certain it was 200 or less for a full stainless brake line kit shipped to my door.
I have yet to install it but I did inspect the tubes and all the flares are perfect and the hardware looks to be of good quality.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Steven@nd
Elder User
New stock calipers are not expensive, maybe $30 each. Not worth the effort to extract a broken bleeder or rebuild in my opinion.

As to upgrades, as long as you are not auto crossing the stock brakes are more than adequate. Properly adjusted and in good condition, my 74 with no booster will stop on a dime.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For the front, Cardone reman calipers have worked well for me. For the hard lines, bend up and flare new when the old ones look bad or twist off has also worked well. If the flare joints do not leak under pressure, they are good.

For bleeding, the mityvac may help get it started, but a helper pumping the pedal with bleeder open always seems essential to me.

Did your new booster include a new or reman MC? The new/reman MC will need "bench bled" before bleeding the brakes which can be done on the bench or in the truck. Also bench bleed may be required if your older master ran dry.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:40 PM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
Yep - a new master cylinder is what started all of this I did a bench bleed on that and it all seemed good and bubble free when I mounted it on the booster.

I will get a helper for the next round of bleeding.

I'm going to order new calipers/brackets/pads and flex lines for the front. I'm good with running my own hard lines now that I have that Eastwood flaring tool!

I should probably order new master cylinders for the rear drums while I'm at it just to make an offering to the brake gods...

The brakes did seem to work fine when I first got the truck and the upgrades to the F-350 double booster and rear cylinders and Thunderbird calipers up front seems more popular on the F-100s and F-150s. I think I'll just focus on getting it working again for now.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep posting progress as I make any... maybe this will be of help to some future newbie?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Steven@nd
Elder User
Definitely go with new wheel cylinders in the rear, they are about the cheapest parts of the system!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bleeder rod on the proportioning valve is for bleeding the front calipers. Should be pulled out when doing the fronts. I use a pair of needle nose vice grips to hold it out when doing mine although Ford has a dedicated tool - a "spring clip" for it. Haven't been able to find a dealer that has it.

Have you blown out the lines? Sometimes a goober or two will block the lines.

Gravity is your friend here...Since she's on a hill you can use it to your advantage - attach a clear hose to the nipple, emptying into a Mason jar or a clear beer bottle. Open the M/C cover and watch the flow...careful not to let the M/C empty completely. When you have a good flow (no air bubbles) bleed as normal.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:40 PM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
Ok - installed the new calipers and pads on the front last night. Everything went as advertised except the bolt that goes into the bottom of the bracket to hold the spring loaded locking key in place was significantly shorter on the passenger side than the driver's side. The driver's side bolt looked exactly like the replacement. I just reused the existing bolt from the passenger side. I don't know why it was so different.

Then we went to bleed the system. I had a helper this time so we started with the brake pedal version and the rear passenger side. Nothing. We tried the vacuum pump. Nothing. We tried swearing at it. Didn't help.

We moved to the front passenger side and again couldn't get anything with the pedal. We could kind of get a little with the vacuum pump but not really what you'd expect. Then I crawled under and messed with the proportioning valve rod and we started getting fluid with the vacuum. Still nothing with the pedal. We went through a bottle of fluid and still couldn't get bubble free... We tried the diver's side front caliper with the same results. Bubbly fluid and lots of it. It was getting dark so we packed it in for the night.

I decided to try just gravity bleeding the front this morning. I got good streams of fluid out of both calipers in front and took out an inch or so of fluid into the bottom of a gatorade bottle and tightened down the bleeders. I want try the same with the back, but the truck is on a slope, so I'm going to have to spin it around.

With the engine off I have a nice firm brake pedal. With the engine running, I have no pedal. Zero resistance - straight to the floor

The brake warning light is on. I see no leaks anywhere.

I was thinking I should have front brakes at this point - certainly enough to spin the truck around in the driveway so I can gravity bleed the rear?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:09 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The H beam hold down bolt - Ahhh, the PO strikes again! They should be the same but as long as it's working, swing with it.

Yes, you can use gravity to your advantage on bleeding anything - fronts, rears, a sliced finger, mowing the grass on a hill, pinchin' a loaf, etc....

Be sure to bleed those brakes normally after the gravitational pull of the Earth has done it's thing.

Engine running, no pedal: How's the vacuum line to the booster and the swivel joint connection? The pedal to M/C rod is the right length?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 PM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
All the new parts I've purchased have been exact replacements for what was there. So I'm pretty sure the booster and the M/C connections to the brake pedal arm and the length of all those parts is correct.

I pulled the vacuum tube off the booster and it hangs onto my palm about as hard as a shopvac... (and the engine barely idles with that tube not sucked onto something).

Old 07-24-2016, 11:38 AM
mmoe
Junior User
Originally Posted by mbeards
All the new parts I've purchased have been exact replacements for what was there. So I'm pretty sure the booster and the M/C connections to the brake pedal arm and the length of all those parts is correct.

I pulled the vacuum tube off the booster and it hangs onto my palm about as hard as a shopvac... (and the engine barely idles with that tube not sucked onto something).
Let me know if you want some fresh eyes on it. You can reach me at our Seattle area code, 6192889. If you're a reasonable drive away, I'd be happy to help.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM
mbeards
Mountain Pass
Wow mmoe, what a generous offer! I am down by Seward Park south of I-90.

Quick Reply: Can you bleed brakes on a slope?