1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ongoing clutch/trans problem. Now trans stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ongoing clutch/trans problem. Now trans stuck in gear

Hello. This weekend I had to replace the clutch on my 85' f350 with a 7.5l, 4spd. Today as I was putting everything back together, the last step was for me to insert the shift lever into the top of the transmission. Here's my problem. My transmission is stuck in gear. It feels like the lever is in the right place, but I'm not 100% sure (I am 90% sure). I've been out there all day trying to put it in. I give up

The clutch that I put in is working good. I started the truck with the clutch pedal pressed, and the truck was in neutral. When I release the pedal, it moves fine. I just can't get it out of gear. Even if the truck is off, it is stuck in gear. It feels like 2 or 4th gear

I didn't drop the transmission hard, and anything unusual during the clutch swap

Old 03-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,354 Posts
Pull the lever back off the tranny and take a flashlight and a screwdriver and see if the mechanism underneath the shifter is truly in neutral.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Pull the lever back off the tranny and take a flashlight and a screwdriver and see if the mechanism underneath the shifter is truly in neutral.

I tried to take a light and look, but had no idea what it should look like. I couldn't find a diagram or picture anywhere online.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Eddillard79
Senior User
I also cant find the pin that secures the shift lever. Is it possible that it fell in the tranny and is jamming something? I'm probably being paranoid, and it's on the ground somewhere.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:50 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 688 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddillard79
I tried to take a light and look, but had no idea what it should look like. I couldn't find a diagram or picture anywhere online.
I couldn't find a picture, either. You'll just have to settle for my verbose description.

Three shift rails are installed side by side, directly under the socket where the ball of the shift lever sits. Each rail has a slider about the same width as the bottom tip of the shift lever. Each slider has a square notch in the top.

When in neutral, all three notches are lined up side by side. The slider for reverse has a little spring-loaded blocker in that notch. That's the spring you feel when you shift sideways into reverse.

Peek down through the socket and if in neutral, you should see the three notches (including the reverse slider with blocker) lined up side by side. However, I bet you will see one slider not lined up with the other two. Use a big screwdriver (or even the shifter) to line up that rail's notch with the other two. Then you should be all set.

As far as that missing pin, don't run the engine again until you find it. If it's fallen inside, it could do a lot of damage if caught between the gears. Don't despair, though, as it should be fairly easy to fish out. The entire top cover can be removed for access. But first, if you're sure it's nowhere else, drain the transmission. If lucky, the pin might get flushed out with the oil.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Originally Posted by kr98664
I couldn't find a picture, either. You'll just have to settle for my verbose description.

Three shift rails are installed side by side, directly under the socket where the ball of the shift lever sits. Each rail has a slider about the same width as the bottom tip of the shift lever. Each slider has a square notch in the top.

When in neutral, all three notches are lined up side by side. The slider for reverse has a little spring-loaded blocker in that notch. That's the spring you feel when you shift sideways into reverse.

Peek down through the socket and if in neutral, you should see the three notches (including the reverse slider with blocker) lined up side by side. However, I bet you will see one slider not lined up with the other two. Use a big screwdriver (or even the shifter) to line up that rail's notch with the other two. Then you should be all set.

As far as that missing pin, don't run the engine again until you find it. If it's fallen inside, it could do a lot of damage if caught between the gears. Don't despair, though, as it should be fairly easy to fish out. The entire top cover can be removed for access. But first, if you're sure it's nowhere else, drain the transmission. If lucky, the pin might get flushed out with the oil.

I really appreciate your help. I'll take a look at in first thing in the morning. My question to you is, why would it be locking up? How come I can't stick my shifter in the tranny now and release it out of its gear normally

Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
I really appreciate your help. I'll take a look at in first thing in the morning. My question to you is, why would it be locking up? How come I can't stick my shifter in the tranny now and release it out of its gear normally
The shift cover assembly has interlock shuttle pins between the three slider/rails. This arrangement only allows one of the three to be out of neutral at a time. If one is already out of neutral, as I suspect, the other two are locked from moving.

When you peek inside, look for the one not aligned with the other two. You'll have to slide that one fore or aft to match the others already in neutral.

If you've already tried monkeying around with the shift lever but nothing would budge, I can practically guarantee you got the tip of the shift lever in the notch of one of the locked sliders. Once you figure out which slider is not aligned with the other two, that's the notch you have to engage with the tip of the shift lever. That slider is not locked and will pop right back into neutral as long as you catch it with the shift lever. A big, stout screwdriver would work, too.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Ok, I just want to confirm before I start "pushing & poking" things inside my tranny. I posted 2 pics. If I read your instructions right, the shift rail on the right (top in the pic), is uneven and need to be aligned with the other 2. Am I correct?

If I am right, I need to pull it down (or to the right in the pic), correct?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You could get it out of gear, if you were able to stab the shifter lever into the correct spot and engage the slider that is not lined up.
However, inserting it into any other position will not allow it to engage the mis-aligned slider, therefore, you cannot use it disengage the gear. In fact, if you *could* get it to engage the slider that is "in gear", this would not be good. It would also mean the shifter could be moved out of the slider while in gear, or as I like to say, worn out.......

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the upper most rail is out of alignment.
Ok, I just want to confirm before I start "pushing & poking" things inside my tranny. I posted 2 pics. If I read your instructions right, the shift rail on the right (top in the pic), is uneven and need to be aligned with the other 2. Am I correct?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Yes, the upper most rail is out of alignment.

Thanks. I'll try it later today and will update everybody

Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
That's a bingo! You got it.

Per the picture, the transmission is currently in second gear. When you first insert the shift lever, position it to match being in second.

Then simply shift from second to neutral. Hold down the clutch pedal, too, in case there is any load on the gears.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
It worked, and now my transmission is working. If I could buy you guys a beer, I would. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Eddillard79
Senior User
Last question. I need to put tranny fluid in. Can I pour it in this hole up top, or does it have to be poured in from the lug nut on side?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
It worked, and now my transmission is working. If I could buy you guys a beer, I would. I really appreciate it.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I feel like an air traffic controller who has just talked down a crippled airliner, although I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue...

Any luck finding that index pin? I always wished it had been designed with a mushroom head so it couldn't fall it.

For filling the oil, yes, it can be done from the top. It's much easier than adding oil through the fill port on the side. The only downside is you can't see the fill port to know when the oil level is correct. Two ways around that: If the transmission has already been drained, reinstall the drain plug and just add the specified amount from above. If only topping off, remove the fill plug and put a drain pan underneath. Add oil from above, and when oil starts to dribble from the fill port, you know the level is correct.

Quick Reply: Ongoing clutch/trans problem. Now trans stuck in gear