Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Custom Tunes v Minotaur

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Custom Tunes v Minotaur

I see why Minotaur software is an option. I have 3 custom tunes for the 175/80's and they all drive well, but there are differences in them and I'd like to re arrange, change, or remove these characteristics but they're finer details.

One tune idles louder than the other. Switch between the two and one sounds more like the injectors gnashing their teeth and the other is quieter yet they both idle well. One is a economy/tow tune yet is more aggressive part throttle than the hotter street tune. This tune also has an odd idle up feature that with the truck in park, it will idle up to 900 after a few seconds hot or cold. Cold start shows differences between them as well. While they all start well, one is more smokey than the other. Lastly, the naming convention of the tunes leads me to believe they're just pulled from another customer(s) and re-purposed as we probably share the same hardware. The prospect of going back and forth on these points is well, blah...

Having had fully programmable DFI and SCT Pro-Racer in the past for hotrods, I'm more aware of the flexibility in designing tunes and issues than the average Joe I suppose so I may have some OCD on the matter.

Anyone here have or use Minotaur and can provide some insight to the software?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
I see why Minotaur software is an option. I have 3 custom tunes for the 175/80's and they all drive well, but there are differences in them and I'd like to re arrange, change, or remove these characteristics but they're finer details.

One tune idles louder than the other. Switch between the two and one sounds more like the injectors gnashing their teeth and the other is quieter yet they both idle well. One is a economy/tow tune yet is more aggressive part throttle than the hotter street tune. This tune also has an odd idle up feature that with the truck in park, it will idle up to 900 after a few seconds hot or cold. Cold start shows differences between them as well. While they all start well, one is more smokey than the other. Lastly, the naming convention of the tunes leads me to believe they're just pulled from another customer(s) and re-purposed as we probably share the same hardware. The prospect of going back and forth on these points is well, blah...

Having had fully programmable DFI and SCT Pro-Racer in the past for hotrods, I'm more aware of the flexibility in designing tunes and issues than the average Joe I suppose so I may have some OCD on the matter.

Anyone here have or use Minotaur and can provide some insight to the software?

Cleatus12r uses it.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Subscribed!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Here's the first datalog with the 175/80's. This is the DD/moderate tow tune. Note the spike, I had to get out of the throttle as the tires had broken loose and the truck was just about out of sorts. ICP looks good, no stinky spike, interesting the TPS shows less than WOT, I don't recall letting off the throttle like that but I must have been thinking about the recent traction loss and recovery. FIPW is X10 to raise up in the chart.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
You're getting pretty good with that graphing software

I notice the slight defuel before the last shift.

I wonder why your EBP is bouncy? When mine did that, I had a clamp loose between the collector and the turbo.

Interesting to see the low FIPWs with the bigger sticks. I have the stock split-shot and my times are much higher. It seems like a pretty big performance difference. I think my ICP is dying due to the long times.

You have a boost fooler, or limiter?

Does it feel almost like it is trying to flood when you first stomp on it? Seeing the FIPW, ICP and IPF dip as you stomp the pedal, before the turbo gets spooled up (In the second takeoff)

Looking at your first stomp and the rapid MPH gain, I'm jealous! Unless you were spinning tires, which seems likely

Old 03-20-2016, 03:33 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
The graphing is pretty straightforward with the software

The slight defuel may be attributed to the declining TPS, future logging will tell.

The ebp generally follows the curves and shift points but I agree it is bouncy. I've noted that in previous datalogging, it's stable when not WOT and gets bouncy at WOT. I have a new EBP sensor and tube and all the clamps etc are new and should be good but worth another inspection since it's all been disrupted with the work.

The FIPW is much lower than with the stock split shots. This tune is the DD and tow up to 10K lbs tune so it should be mild comparable to the hotter street tune. It's a massive performance increase as well as improved running.

No boost fooler so I am surprised to see the ceiling as though there is a boost fooler. Perhaps the tune is doing that? I wasn't looking at the gauges so I don't know boost, EGT, or Fuel pressure

The first go was with tires spinning 1st 2nd so, when it did get control it was in 3rd thus what you see takes more time and visible is the shift into 4th.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Minotaur is great if you want full control of your tuning.

That said, there is a lot to learn. Even if you've done hotrod/gas tuning in the past, diesel tuning is a completely different animal altogether. Couple that with performance injectors and HPOP, and things get really tricky.

The nice thing about Minotaur is that you can order the software, as well as order some tunes for that injector setup and HPOP. Run those tunes on your truck, and then tweak them as you go along. You can also do a side-by-side comparison with stock calibrations to see what changes have been made to create tunes that work with single shot injectors. You can also see changes in timing, injection pressure, pulse width, etc.

Start small, make very minor changes, and log the results. Ask questions when you're stumped and trying to figure things out. That's how I learned. There really are some great guys out there who enjoy messing with the tuning stuff.

The current generation of Minotaur splits up the calibration into different sections, so you can see which maps and parameters you are tweaking and what they will affect. This simplifies the overall approach and keeps things neatly organized.

I no longer do it since I sold the old truck, but it was fun while it lasted.

Just a word of caution.... you will have full control of the calibration. Significant enough changes can, and will, destroy your motor in no time if you tweak something wrong. Go small and go slow until you learn.

Oh, and keep backups of your calibrations. And notes. Lots of notes.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
The slight defuel may be attributed to the declining TPS, future logging will tell.
IIRC, this is something Gearhead tunes to reduce slippage and wear on the tranny/torque converter when shifting. It may be a "smart thing to do" when tuning.

No boost fooler so I am surprised to see the ceiling as though there is a boost fooler. Perhaps the tune is doing that? I wasn't looking at the gauges so I don't know boost, EGT, or Fuel pressure
Yeah, REALLY stands out. I think GH "turns off" the defueling in certain tunes, doesn't recommend a fooler as the tunes work with the real values and then override the stock defueling.

Depending on your tunes/tuner, might be worth a call. My GH tunes have the defuel as stock on some, turned off on more aggressive.

If you are going to mess with Minotaur, you and I need to share a few beers, even if it is via speakerphone, LOL.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pocket
Just saying it's pretty awesome when you guys dig into the bowels of these monsters and support each other

It's cool to peek behind the curtain once in a while

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Pocket

That said, there is a lot to learn. Even if you've done hotrod/gas tuning in the past, diesel tuning is a completely different animal altogether. Couple that with performance injectors and HPOP, and things get really tricky.
Yeah.

This right there confirms I don't care to get into it. I've been there with DFI and Pro Racer and you're absolutely correct, it takes MORE than a significant effort and expense to get things right. With the gas engines, I used a standalone wide band datalogger in conjunction with software logging, dyno's, hours of reading, hours of hands on, track times, etc.. The driving encompassed drag racing with DFI and open track course racing to daily driving with Pro Racer. I don't have the desire to do all that for the tow pig and w/o a wide band to direct me, it's a different animal for sure. I'll just work with the tuner to address my little concerns if at all or try another custom tuner or two and see what's best. Each will have little things I may not like but I'll be fine absorbing that for the time and expense savings. The truck runs well overall, just a few things that I don't care for. These should be easy enough to work out as long as they don't alter the things I do like.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2016, 07:59 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
IIRC, this is something Gearhead tunes to reduce slippage and wear on the tranny/torque converter when shifting. It may be a "smart thing to do" when tuning.

Yeah, REALLY stands out. I think GH "turns off" the defueling in certain tunes, doesn't recommend a fooler as the tunes work with the real values and then override the stock defueling.

Depending on your tunes/tuner, might be worth a call. My GH tunes have the defuel as stock on some, turned off on more aggressive.

If you are going to mess with Minotaur, you and I need to share a few beers, even if it is via speakerphone, LOL.
GH is the tuner I am using currently so you may very well be correct. Ditto for the flat lining boost. I know for certain it's at minimum 30psi on the Isspro gauge as I've seen that prior.

I think I'll pass on Minotaur, just more than I care to get into. That said, I"m always open to sharing a beer and conversation! Name the day and time

Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
For reference, here's a datalog with the stock sticks. I'll be curious to try logging 1st through 4th gear as in this log although I'm not sure these injectors will allow for that with as much power as they add. Note the much higher FIPW and the bouncy EBP.

ExPACamper, if you have a log with your EBP, I'd be curious to see that. I will investigate further.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I think I'll pass on Minotaur, just more than I care to get into. That said, I"m always open to sharing a beer and conversation! Name the day and time
For sure, brother!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Here's my latest graphs...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16131632

I believe I have some oil leak up top, too. I didn't clean the valley after getting oil all over it when I did the uppipes. If you followed that thread, I was just happy to have survived that situation- threatening to WELD the hood shut. Haha!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I don't see that as a very bouncy EBP - the time between high and low is not that short, the bounces are about 5 PSI, and it follows the RPMs nicely. It could be better, but I've seen far worse.

Any time you see a high flat line at the same value on any sensor, that is called "saturation" in the electronic signal world. What that means is even if the real pressure is higher, the sensor is maxed out or there is another limiting factor - like a boost fooler or a programmed limit on what is passed to the PCM.

I see your EBP saturate at 52-53 PSI, I know from experience this is sensor max. As for that 40 PSI MAP saturation (about 25 PSI boost), that would be in line with the program trying to avoid the 27 PSI SES light. My tuning doesn't allow the SES light to fire at 27 PSI by other means, but I still have a boost fooler because I exceeded the MAP limit too often (38R with 160/100s and air mods) and damaged the sensor. MAP sensor max is close to 48 PSI. I have also hooked up my red line to the wastegate to go easy on my old intake valve springs.

Tuning a diesel is complicated by other means - you no longer have the stoechiometric limits of a gasser, and one might feel like you've been unshackled. Not so much. With diesel, it just means they took the guardrails off that tight corner on the mountain highway - and you are free to fly.

Quick Reply: Custom Tunes v Minotaur