Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet with mass backing....worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:02 PM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Carpet with mass backing....worth it?

Hi everyone.

I am restoring the interior of my 1994 F150. It used to belong to my stepfather and he was a smoker, so the carpet and seat are a disaster. I'm getting the seat repaired in a couple of weeks and would like to replace the carpet as well. I would like to know if anyone has ever ordered a replacement carpet with the mass backing option, and if they think it was worth it in the end. Costs about $50 more and is supposed to help lower noise and heat.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Hi everyone.

I am restoring the interior of my 1994 F150. It used to belong to my stepfather and he was a smoker, so the carpet and seat are a disaster. I'm getting the seat repaired in a couple of weeks and would like to replace the carpet as well. I would like to know if anyone has ever ordered a replacement carpet with the mass backing option, and if they think it was worth it in the end. Costs about $50 more and is supposed to help lower noise and heat.

Thanks in advance.
Plain carpet does NOT do much in thawed out sound dampening. The Jute mat drastically kills noise

Old 03-19-2016, 12:29 PM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Should have been more specific - if you order the regular carpet there is a jute pad heat bonded to the back. There is an additional mass-backing option that basically turns the underside of your carpet into a rubber mat as well. That is what I am asking about:

Mass Back Carpet - Massback auto carpet - OEM Auto Carpet

Old 03-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Unless you have a diesel or have bad hearing, I cannot see the need for the extra cost

Old 03-19-2016, 02:26 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on if you want it quieter or not. MLV is a pretty good step up in sound damping. It's very important for car audio guys. I think for $50 I'd go for it.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:27 PM
Cleanseeker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a carpet set with mass backing in one of my '67 Chrysler Newports.

I bought it through Stock Interiors, made by Auto Custom Carpet.

It makes the carpet significantly stiffer, reduced noise quite a bit, and helped with heat blocking.

I thought it was worth the extra money.

But this is in a 49 year old car, so your mileage may vary in your truck. Newer technology.

And if anyone is bored with trucks, here's a distraction:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Hope the input helps.

John

Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cleanseeker
It makes the carpet significantly stiffer, reduced noise quite a bit, and helped with heat blocking.

I thought it was worth the extra money.
Don't know if it makes much difference on noise, but the extra stiffness is worth it.

I replaced the carpet on two cars. Didn't think the extra backing made much difference on the first one, and went cheap on the second one. The carpet without the mass backing would always bunch and move around. The one with it stayed flat.

If you're keeping the vehicle, the extra investment is worth it.

If you want quiet, look into Dynamat. Of course, that will cost more than your carpet!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Thank you for the feedback.

I've decided I should probably at least attempt to clean it before I drop $150 on new carpet - there are no rips or tears and I have a pressure washer - I guess my only question is whether or not you should remove the jute pad from the back of the carpet before pressure washing it? Supposed to be a warm day here today so figured I would give it a shot.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Thank you for the feedback.

I've decided I should probably at least attempt to clean it before I drop $150 on new carpet - there are no rips or tears and I have a pressure washer - I guess my only question is whether or not you should remove the jute pad from the back of the carpet before pressure washing it? Supposed to be a warm day here today so figured I would give it a shot.
I Always leave the jute one. SOAK it with Purple power or similar degreaser and let it sit for about 15 min(in the shade)

Then power wash to rinse(dont get too close, the power washer WILL ruin the carpet if you get to close)

Then let sit for about 3 days in the sun to let dry(Hanging would be best, but I lay then on saw horses)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 AM
warren561
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleanseeker
And if anyone is bored with trucks, here's a distraction:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

Hope the input helps.

John
Not to go too OT, but ...

John - That is some amazing work on the Newport. Kudos for saving a 4 door. Usually you only see folks restoring 2 doors and making them into muscle car resto-mods.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 AM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I Always leave the jute one. SOAK it with Purple power or similar degreaser and let it sit for about 15 min(in the shade)

Then power wash to rinse(dont get too close, the power washer WILL ruin the carpet if you get to close)

Then let sit for about 3 days in the sun to let dry(Hanging would be best, but I lay then on saw horses)
Thanks Brad. I'll give it a shot.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Cleanseeker
Junior User
Originally Posted by warren561
Not to go too OT, but ...

John - That is some amazing work on the Newport. Kudos for saving a 4 door. Usually you only see folks restoring 2 doors and making them into muscle car resto-mods.
Thanks man. I'm an old school, leave it alone kind of guy.

Besides, anybody can make a resto-mod. A lot of original cars are lost now because of the TV shows.

Thanks again.

John

Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 PM
BLDTruth
Senior User
Well I was very skeptical the pressure washer would do the job. I think the half gallon of superclean I soaked it in might have had something to do with it, but it looks really good. Money saved.

Before

Still drying but wow what a difference.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Cleanseeker
Junior User
Wow, nice work.

Looks brand new again.

John

Old 04-07-2016, 04:40 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Well I was very skeptical the pressure washer would do the job. I think the half gallon of superclean I soaked it in might have had something to do with it, but it looks really good. Money saved.

Still drying but wow what a difference.
Glad you tried it. I do it with all my carpets

Quick Reply: Carpet with mass backing....worth it?