1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Super duty seats in OBS truck

Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super duty seats in OBS truck

Ok i have not see a thread that shows how people have done it. So I will try to do so. I did not get all the photos i wish i had but time is short and I am lucky to take any.

After pulling everything out make a center line in the front area of the truck.
I use blue tape and measured to find the center. I also put tape in the center of the front seat.

I adjusted the drivers and passengers seat to be in the center front and back on the mount. I sat on it until it felt about right. so i know where the seats will set.

Note the passenger front left mount and the center section front right mount need to be cut off. I cu the so the cut would be in line with the floor pan and about 1/4 inch above the floor pan. with both cut you can adjust everything to fit.

here is a pick of how I cut them. note the mounting tabs shown here have been cut more to this shape. just note the seat cuts here

This is the tab I welded for the center mount. It is far enough back to clear the tab that will go onto the seat.

Mark the rear hole too. There is metal channel under the floor here so you will not be able to just run a bolt through it. What i did was drill a hole for the bolt and weld a nut into the center of a heavy duty washer. I will show later.

also note the pan is angled so welding the bolt in set at the angle to best fit the seat.

I welded the washer down first then weld the nut in. Use the bolt to alight the nut.

Don't knock my welding skills. I have never had anything brake yet. I also own a grinder!

more to come.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:38 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Back to the passenger seat mount. here is where i welded that seat. the mount is under the seat and does not mess with the center mount. thay do overlap but the design of the tabs allow for it as one it higher than the other. you have to see it in person to know what I'm talking about.

Drill hole here. you will need the washer here too. there are only 3 areas where you need to do this. Due to the seat mount the nut will need to be inside the body so you need to pre weld the nut to the washer and drill a larger hole for the nut to fit into the hole. then weld washer to pan.

make the hole large enough to allow for fine adjusting to match the seat. Put the seat back on and put at least 2 bolt in on the back or side to hold seat in the correct location. use a marker to outline the washer in the correct location. remove seat and weld it in place. no photo of that right now. looks the same as the others.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:48 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Move on to the drivers side and drill holes for the front mounts. Note pre-check everything before you drill any holes side to side clearance with the sides of the truck and center on the steering wheel. When dong so i found more room on the drivers side than the other side. I don't know why but I went with it. you cant tell except if you look at the gaps on the side of the seat to the wall of the truck.

Drill holes and bolt up. no welding or cutting needed here.

the rear of the drivers side will need a cut in it. just leave enough metal on it and bend the tab to the new position. fill the gap and weld it up. (not done yet )

more to come. I will weld up the gap, paint and it will be ready to mount. I will show the right rear bolt hole next but need photos.
The rear seat is just drill and bolt down I believe but I have not done yet.
I will show more as I complete it.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,180 Likes on 811 Posts
Looking good, you plan pn putting some sound deadner on the floor? Do it since everything is out. Check ebay sometimes they got some good deals on sound deadner.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Looking good, you plan pn putting some sound deadner on the floor? Do it since everything is out. Check ebay sometimes they got some good deals on sound deadner.
You know it. I will be doing it all over. The carpet I got has a an extra rubber layer to help too.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
This is a cool write up. Looking good so far!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I did not forget this thread I just had to get more floor repairs done first.

I had to add one more washer and nut for the back right of the front seat. the center console rear hole did not need the washer as the bolt could go through the body and get a nut on the bottom side.

I marked the back seat holes but did not get a chance to drill them yet. tomorrow...

Well after i get the new headliner i will start adding the carpet.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:10 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I completely covered the body with the rubber sheeting. I placed the rear seat in and marked the holes then drilled them.
After that I pulled the seats and placed the carpet in and let is set for 24 hours so it could take shape. The next day I cut the carpet down so it would lay flatter but I did not cut enough off to complete the job.
I then started to locate the holes with a ice pick. Poked holes in the carpet to find the exact spot of the hole. I then cut the holes and slid a bolt into the hole while I did the rest of the cutting. I then brought in the rear seat again and placed the bolts in and bolted it down. very easy to do but keeping the carpet lined up with the holes while doing the rest can be A Pain in the rear. Bolt up the front seats and connect the wires if you have them. I will take more photos and get them posted. 2 things left to do is trim carpet again and mount the rear seatbelts for the bench. 2 sections do not mount up with the seat and require more holes drilled on top of the shelf (the high part on the back pan)

Old 05-23-2016, 12:52 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I did not bother taking photos of the rear seat as it will bolt in as is. Just drill new holes.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
This is a great thread. Looks really nice!!

Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I never did complete this thread and I will look for more photos or go take them.
here it is completed .

Old 01-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed some rear seats from a 2004 Harley Davidson crew cab as my front seats. They came mounted on a frame with a console. Just had to trim the console and drill 4 holes. Took me about 30 minutes to install

Old 01-22-2017, 08:55 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
That worked out easy.