Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Fatherly Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 02:35 PM
APurpleFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Some Fatherly Advice Please

Hi, I recently inherited this beautiful purple Ford truck.

However, with our family of six, it’s not practical to keep, so I need to sell it.

I am a woman who knows very little about vehicles in general and have no idea what it’s worth or who to trust to tell me what it is worth. So, I’m turning to you guys, the experts, in my opinion, to help me determine what to price it for. I’m not saying women don’t know trucks, I’m just saying this one doesn’t.

Also, just for the record, I am not trying to sell this vehicle through this site. I understand that is not what this site is for. I am sincerely just looking for advice

Here is what I know about this truck:

It’s a 1995 extended cab, Side-Flare, Mark III, dual gas tanks, 82,350 miles.

Here is damage I know about, all shown in the pictures: The hood was not latched once and flew back and hit the cab, resulting in damage to the hood and top of the cab. The driver’s side window looks fine, but does not work (we were told this would cost $100 to fix). The driver’s side seat has some damage to the leather upholstery & foam underneath. The small, corner window on the passenger’s side appears to need work. There are a few dents on top of the cab.

The state’s vehicle inspector said it needs about $200 worth of work for it to pass inspection: new wipers, serpentine belt, brake fluid and exhaust from muffler back. He said it looks great underneath.

We were told that this is a special package edition and there aren’t many out there like it, but I haven’t been able to verify that.

What is a reasonable price to ask, considering all the above, and the least we should take for this truck? We live in the Eastern US in the Carolinas.

82,350 miles

Tank one of two

Take two of two

Mark III package

Hood damage from where hood was not latched properly and flew up and hit the cab

Hood damage from where hood was not latched properly and flew up and hit the cab

Cab damage from where hood was not latched properly and flew up and hit the cab

Small dings to top of cab

inside door jamb

damaged seat on driver’s side

This corner window needs some work.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
That was a very spendy truck in it's day. However, now it is >20 years old. It's still in pretty decent shape save for the driver's seat, and the miles are low. I am just not sure that there is much of a market for such a specialty item that is so old. Absent that, let's just look at what it is: a truck that runs and has low miles. I don't really care for these kinds of posts just because any truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay. You may find a buyer whose eyes pop out over this thing. OTOH, you may get a big collective yawn.

Unless you are in a big hurry, there's no reason you cannot price it high and take lower offers, but your price has to be not so high that you scare off potential bidders. If it was me, and this was my strategy, I would list it on eBay (so as to get more eyeballs on it) and start at $5000 but list it so you can accept offers. If you could just get the seat and window fixed you would do much better IMO. On the hood, is that as far as it will close?

Really, IMO, this truck is worth about $2500-3500 but I am an old fart and this kind of truck doesn't do much for me.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
APurpleFord
New User
Thank you for your honesty.

The guy who detailed it said to start at $5500 and settle for no less than $4800, but he likes it, so it does make a difference, and he just gave me that price off the top of his head.

And, yes, that is as far as the hood closes.

Maybe someone will reply that likes this type.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Doug351
Elder User
Originally Posted by jas88
That was a very spendy truck in it's day. However, now it is >20 years old. It's still in pretty decent shape save for the driver's seat, and the miles are low. I am just not sure that there is much of a market for such a specialty item that is so old. Absent that, let's just look at what it is: a truck that runs and has low miles. I don't really care for these kinds of posts just because any truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay. You may find a buyer whose eyes pop out over this thing. OTOH, you may get a big collective yawn.

Unless you are in a big hurry, there's no reason you cannot price it high and take lower offers, but your price has to be not so high that you scare off potential bidders. If it was me, and this was my strategy, I would list it on eBay (so as to get more eyeballs on it) and start at $5000 but list it so you can accept offers. If you could just get the seat and window fixed you would do much better IMO. On the hood, is that as far as it will close?

Really, IMO, this truck is worth about $2500-3500 but I am an old fart and this kind of truck doesn't do much for me.

We're not far off buddy, I was thinking $4,000...., but hey....you can always go down....UP... not so much....

I asked her for a location because if it was a northern truck, I wouldn't give half that....

All the little piddly stuff....has been quoted at full price...it could be fixed for next to nothing by someone who can do the work themselves...(actually...the market for these kind of trucks)...
Also....I couldn't agree more...every thing in this world is worth exactly what you can get for it...but everyone would like to get an estimated worth...

Old 03-17-2016, 04:23 PM
CTC01
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, First off I am a rusty ol work truck kinda guy so I will let some one more qualified try to give you a value.

You have a VERY CLEAN low mile truck with a nearly flawless body that needs only some minor work. I would look on Auto Trader or E-Bay motors to try to get an idea of what trucks similar to yours are selling for, adjusting for condition.

Don't let anybody try to steal it.

Todd

Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
APurpleFord
New User
Thanks Doug351and CTC01!

I will check out Auto Trader and E-bay and see what I can find.

Y’all are right- I don’t want someone to steal it from me and I also don’t want to price it so high no one will look at it.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
whomrig
Elder User
Originally Posted by APurpleFord
Thank you for your honesty.

The guy who detailed it said to start at $5500 and settle for no less than $4800, but he likes it, so it does make a difference, and he just gave me that price off the top of his head.

And, yes, that is as far as the hood closes.

Maybe someone will reply that likes this type.
would the detail guy buy it? I am sure you could ask the 5500 and go from there. I rather like it myself. as mentioned, look on autotrader.com maybe list it there with a pic or two, see what happens. also as mentioned, don't give it away, it is a truck.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Doug351
Elder User
I don't know anything about this paticular "edition" ....but if I were considering the truck...here would be my concerns....(considering it mattered to me....which it probably wouldn't) ...but...I don't believe it would have come with the roof visor....although fairly well done....the interior wood...doesn't look factory or that appealing to me....the painted side bars is another silly factory option....(why not chrome) ? Finally....how'd that Cobra badge get on there?????

Yeah....probably very rare....but not necessarily more valuable because of it .....as Manuel only made one....JMHO....

Oh yeah....that overhead weird thing????

Old 03-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Go on kelly blue book and NADA to get a price. The conversion pkg does NOTHING to the value of the truck

I would say it is a 3500 truck around here

Old 03-17-2016, 04:46 PM
APurpleFord
New User
Thanks Womrig. It won’t hurt to list it for $5500 and see what happens. The problem with the detail guy is he knows what we were thinking about asking before we asked his opinion, so he told me to get back with him if I haven’t sold it after awhile. We were originally hoping to get $2900- so his thoughts made me take the pricing a little more seriously and not sell it short.

Doug351- someone told me this was some kind of special package by, maybe Mark III and apparently the Cobra has something to do with that. I don’t know what all this supposed package included. Chrome would look better than hot pink!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:48 PM
whomrig
Elder User
Here is the build sheet for this:
1FTEX15N6SKA66913
C346 APA MCA China, 5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP), Bright Sapphire

VIN Number: 1FTEX15N6SKA66913
Registration information for your currently selected Vehicle:

First Registration Date:
Registration Number: Registration Date: Registration Country: Modified Date:

Historic Registration Dates:
Registration Number: Registration Date: Registration Country: Modified Date:

Primary Features
Build Date: 17.11.1994
Vehicle Line: C346 APA MCA China
Body Style: Super Single Cab
Version: 150
Engine: 5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP)
Transmission: 4R70W (AODE) 4-Speed Auto Trans
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.31
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: Bright Sapphire

Minor Features
• Medium Opal Grey
• With Flareside Box - Steel
• 139"/3531MM Wheelbase
• XLT
• Kansas City Plant Build
• With Convenience Group
• With Power Equipment Group
• With RV Conversion Upgrade A
• With Carpet Floor Covering
• With Noise Insulation Pack
• Chrome-Plated
• With Drivers Power Mirror
• With Passenger Power Convex Mirror
• With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
• With Heavy Duty Trailer Towing
• Super/Super Single/Super Cab 4 Door
• Rear Bumper - Steel Step - Black
• Rear Bumper - Steel Step - Chromed
• With Front Licence Plate Bracket
• With Steel Spare Wheel
• 7.5J X 15" Style Steel Chrome Wheel
• With Conventional Spare Tyre
• With Standard Suspension
• With Handling Package
• Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
• 5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP)
• With Auxiliary Fuel Tank
• With Tilt Steering Wheel
• With Speed Control
• With Tachometer
• Heavy Duty Battery
• Elect Prem AM/FM Stro/Disc/Clock
• With NAAO Radio Frequency
• With Light Group
• Bright Sapphire
• 150 Series
• 4R70W (AODE) 4-Speed Auto Trans
• C346 APA MCA China

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Them's a HARD 82K miles...

Is this a coastal truck?

5500 would be a good days work with all the "dollar you to death" mundane repairs undone. Should turn it quick for 4500-4000. But then again someone who just had to have that particular style might pay more & travel to get it.

Put it on Cars.com & see.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Doug351
Elder User
As far as I know....the ONLY vehicle Ford EVER badged a Cobra was a Mustang.....

Old 03-17-2016, 04:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
list it for 5500 and don't take a penny less than 5k.she'll sell.
if you could have the seat repaired,replace the hood and have the sunvisor repainted you could ask more,but probably only at the expense it would cost you to repair them,so id just sell as is.the buyer will repair the truck because of its rarity and very good overall condition.

Doug,this truck didn't roll off the assembly line like this.it was done by a conversion company after it was built (at the cost of around what she'll be selling the whole truck for today.)

Brad,it would only bring 3500 in PA because it would be half rotted out.

purple,i think you should snap a pic of the underbody.i don't think some people realize how clean she truly is.

to those who don't "get it" when looking at this truck.there's a high chance your not generation x.either too early or too late.
someone around 40-55 will be the buyer.nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:18 PM
CTC01
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"As far as I know....the ONLY vehicle Ford EVER badged a Cobra was a Mustang....."

Torino Cobra

Just FYI

Todd

Quick Reply: Need Some Fatherly Advice Please