Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

E40d no forward or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E40d no forward or reverse

Hello I am new to forum and my brain is puzzled I need your help so I have a 92 f250 idi non turbo with e40d transmission I was Cruz in along and all of a sudden my truck acts like it's in neutral I coast to a stop and no gears not even reverse I had no problems with truck prior to this I checked fluid bright red not burnt i dropped trans pan no metal minimal dust on magnet no big clunk or bang or grinding I have no reverse or forwars gears very quiet whine resembles supercharger whine only able to hear it when revved over 1k rpm any help greatly appreciated

Old 03-14-2016, 05:06 PM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had trouble with e40ds shifting erratic going into neutral and costing like yours but after pulling off the road they would always go back in gear and I never lost reverse. It sounds like the trans pump mite have gone south. If no one else has a better I would put the pan back on refill with oil, then remove one of the cooler lines from the radiator and start it there should be a steady stream of oil flowing out. Aside from that I dont have a clue

Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did youbcheck the fluid level with it in park and running?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
I checked fluid in park with engine warm idiling on side of road and fluid level was about a half quart over full I also already pulled trans cooler line and it was pouring out I started truck by probably five secs of running I ran to look it had pumped out about a quart and a half?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
I also already replaced pan with new filter and gasket and 10 qts of fluid

Old 03-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
So yeah now I'm stumped help me plz lol

Old 03-14-2016, 07:28 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Someone will be along with an answer soon. We have a few trans experts around..... Mark!!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bashby
Someone will be along with an answer soon. We have a few trans experts around..... Mark!!!!
Thank you!!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds bad, check fuses as the trans is shifted electrically, power train computer may have went TU. MARK!!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
I have checked all fuses with test light probing each side of fuse I don't know how to check relays tho?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 PM
Dam pile
Freshman User
So I double checked fuses all good something I noticed is I took off driveline behind carier bearing started truck in neutral when placed in drive no movement reverse same however when I put in drive by hand it free spins one way hard to turn other when in reverse hard to turn both ways the driveline that is with truck running just an observation figure it may help to know idk

Old 03-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bashby
Here I come to save the day!

Originally Posted by speedwrench72
sounds bad, check fuses as the trans is shifted electrically, power train computer may have went TU. MARK!!!!
Nope, not possible. Even with the computer removed from the truck it will go forward and reverse, it just won't shift.

Originally Posted by Dam pile
I have checked all fuses with test light probing each side of fuse I don't know how to check relays tho?
That was a waste of time. It can't be a fuse. It can't be a relay.

Originally Posted by Dam pile
So I double checked fuses all good something I noticed is I took off driveline behind carier bearing started truck in neutral when placed in drive no movement reverse same however when I put in drive by hand it free spins one way hard to turn other when in reverse hard to turn both ways the driveline that is with truck running just an observation figure it may help to know idk
No, that doesn't tell much.

Is it a 4x4? If so, it could be the transfer case. If it is a 4x4 will it roll in park, or does it hold in park?

If it is a 4x2, or a 4x4 that holds in park, take the trans out and rebuild or replace it. It's had a mechanical failure inside the trans. Hard parts have broken and nothing short of replacing them will make this truck move again.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
boggerted
Posting Guru
Id pull pan and make sure the filter didnt fall down. If the pump is not picking up fluid while running it will most likely show overfull on stick which you said was the case. If the filter was not swapped out to the revised design with the deeper pickup and filter can fall out of the pump and no fluid=no go

Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Dam pile
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Here I come to save the day!

Nope, not possible. Even with the computer removed from the truck it will go forward and reverse, it just won't shift.

That was a waste of time. It can't be a fuse. It can't be a relay.

No, that doesn't tell much.

Is it a 4x4? If so, it could be the transfer case. If it is a 4x4 will it roll in park, or does it hold in park?

If it is a 4x2, or a 4x4 that holds in park, take the trans out and rebuild or replace it. It's had a mechanical failure inside the trans. Hard parts have broken and nothing short of replacing them will make this truck move again.
Ok yeah I tried 4x4 still no movement all linkages are hooked up so as for the internals do you think it could be inputs haft or planetary gear?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Dam pile
Freshman User
Oh and yes it holds in park

Quick Reply: E40d no forward or reverse