1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

"Check Suspension" light

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:58 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4T
HGTSNSUPV= height sensor voltage
I think I found it: HGTSNSUPV is the Height Sensor Supply Voltage. Typically 5.0 Volts supplied by the PCM and referred to as VREF Vehicle Reference).
ASDISSW no its on but I'm not sure why it's saying that the only other status is enable which I guess means you have the switch off?
The ASDISSW PID actually stands for Air Suspension Inhibit Switch, so if its status is Disabled, it really means the Inhibit is disabled, so the Air Suspension is enabled. Sheeesh!
But anyway while driving today I notice the system is trying to vent the front driver side airbag but it didn't come down and got the check suspension light.So the vdm module is telling the system to vent.So is there a blockage in the system that's not allowing it to release air? Selonoid blocked? Could it be the dryer?
Good thought. May want to disconnect the LF height sensor and manually move it through its full range while monitoring its PID to be sure its signal actually changes between ~0.5V to ~4.5V and doesn't "freeze" while the suspension moves.

Will FORscan let you "command" the front end to lower?

You can disconnect the air line from the LF solenoid and from the drier and see if a vacuum pump draws a vacuum (indicating the line is plugged).

Old 03-24-2016, 05:56 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdqford

May want to disconnect the LF height sensor and manually move it through its full range while monitoring its PID to be sure its signal actually changes between ~0.5V to ~4.5V and doesn't "freeze" while the suspension moves.

Will FORscan let you "command" the front end to lower?
I did and the voltage moves on both sensor so I know it's not the height sensors. And no FORscan will not let you lower the front only status sadly
Originally Posted by pdqford

You can disconnect the air line from the LF solenoid and from the drier and see if a vacuum pump draws a vacuum (indicating the line is plugged).
Stick a vacuum onto the line ?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Stick a vacuum onto the line ?
Just use one of those hand held vacuum pumps.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:02 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Aftermarket on the right original on the left

*UPDATE*
So I change the two front aftermarket selonoids with the original Ford ones and now kneels ! So I drove it for 45min and no "check suspension" light! before it only took 5 to 8 min to turn on. If it did come on it will be for the rear selonoids. I'll switch them out tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:25 PM
5.4T
Elder User
I'm at a lost truck is leaning towards the drivers side now! Don't know what to replace now. Is there a reset button or something? Driving me crazy since I can't get an alignment.i need guidance

Looks like a 4x4 on the passenger side and 2x4 on the drivers side!

I would not be having this problem if it had a height sensor on the rear driver side ! Or at least in the middle!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM
alloro
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,425 Posts
I'm at a lost truck is leaning towards the drivers side now! Don't know what to replace now.
That is usually caused by a slow leak. Have you tried the soapy solution in a spray bottle thing yet to look for one?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:11 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by alloro
That is usually caused by a slow leak. Have you tried the soapy solution in a spray bottle thing yet to look for one?
No but That's what it does after start up.if I leave the running boards open or turn of the suspension switch it will stay the same height overnight I'm positive it's not a leak....I going to replace the tee union on the passenger side rear and see if that does anything, Even tho I replace 1 o-ring on the union.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:56 PM
5.4T
Elder User
So a little update: replaced the tee union,nothing happened!
Switched the airbags over, nothing happened!
Bought height sensors and replaced them, NOTHING HAPPEND!
I still have a lean! I guess the only thing I haven't replaced is the airlines. Anyone know where to buy it from?hoping that will fix it!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 PM
2001NaviA4WD
New User
I had the same problem

I had the same problem on my 01 Navi as described above. I replaced the air shocks on all 4 corners and the compressor w/dryer to start, and then had my air suspension light come on shortly after. I ended up replacing all air lines, connectors, and solenoids, and the problem has gone away. I've had my replaced air ride system in my 01 Navi for almost 2 years now without a problem. If you are going to keep the air system, save yourself the time and hassle and replace it all together. Both jobs I did in 1 day in my driveway with a jack and jacksatnds. Saved myself a lot of money.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2001NaviA4WD
I had the same problem on my 01 Navi as described above. I replaced the air shocks on all 4 corners and the compressor w/dryer to start, and then had my air suspension light come on shortly after. I ended up replacing all air lines, connectors, and solenoids, and the problem has gone away. I've had my replaced air ride system in my 01 Navi for almost 2 years now without a problem. If you are going to keep the air system, save yourself the time and hassle and replace it all together. Both jobs I did in 1 day in my driveway with a jack and jacksatnds. Saved myself a lot of money.
Yes I did all the work myself, I do plan on keeping it since everything is new exept the airlines which I don't know where to buy from?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 PM
2001NaviA4WD
New User
Happy Shopping

Yes I did all the work myself, I do plan on keeping it since everything is new exept the airlines which I don't know where to buy from?
Here are the links to the online locations that I have purchased all of my products from.

-Arnott compressor, rear bags, front shocks
-Rockauto all solenoids
-suncore air lines, splitters, and connectors

I did not even mess with the hieght sensors, because they seemed to be functioning correctly at that time, and still do to this day.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...odel=8&year=18

2001 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 Suspension Parts | RockAuto

Navigator 1998-2002 Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 AM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2001NaviA4WD
Here are the links to the online locations that I have purchased all of my products from.

-Arnott compressor, rear bags, front shocks
-Rockauto all solenoids
-suncore air lines, splitters, and connectors

I did not even mess with the hieght sensors, because they seemed to be functioning correctly at that time, and still do to this day.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...odel=8&year=18

2001 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 Suspension Parts | RockAuto

Navigator 1998-2002 Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

Good luck!
Thanks but I have 1 question about the air line.does it have the plastic inside of the airlines?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:29 PM
2001NaviA4WD
New User
Thanks but I have 1 question about the air line.does it have the plastic inside of the airlines?
That airline at the link I sent to you is not a shielded line like the stock lines are. It is only plastic airline hose. I used zipties and ran the new line right alongside the original lines, and I left the original line attached so that if I do ever tear a line on a trip, I can plug the old line in for a way to get home. I have had the new line in place and being used for 2 years now, and haven't had any problems with it though.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Well replace the airlines and the t-unions and STILL HAVE A LEAN!
It seem like the system tells the vehicle to turn on the rear passenger side selonoid then the drivers side! You think it could be the module??? Now I see why people convert to coil springs, but I'm 1,000$ in so I can't really turn back

Old 12-16-2016, 09:56 AM
welbo97
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm buying air suspension parts

I need at least 1 rear air spring (bag) for my 05 Exp. lots of warnings that it's better to convert than try to repair. In an attempt to start cheap and see what happens before investing a lot more money in the air ride system, I'd buy air suspension parts from someone who has done the conversion or tried a repair then did the conversion later. PM if you have something you'd like to sell.

Quick Reply: "Check Suspension" light