1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need Help!! Hypermax t4 S366 to s369

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:48 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Help!! Hypermax t4 S366 to s369

I’m back with another question. This one is a first for me. I have also posted this thread in the SD and OBS section to try to get as much thought as I can

I’ll keep this short. Friend bought an Excursion with a handful of issues. Needless to say the turbo went as well. It was advertised with an Irate t4 kit installed with a gen 1 366… or so we were told from the PO. Turns out it is a t4i kit from Hypermax. After researching the tag number the turbo is a hybrid 366 from swamps using a T4I housing in 1.15 trim to work with the Hypermax kit.

Not knowing any of this while we ordered a new SXE 369 from Barder turbo, we now have a fitment issue. Milling the flange to accept the t4i pattern on the 1.0 t4 housing would not be difficult, but does not help us out. As those who have been in this situation, it’s the fact that the t4 mts about 3” higher than at t4i kits from Hypermax. Therefore nothing will fit up with the turbo that deep in the valley. An adapter plate can be found, but is also not an option due to the vertical change needed and likely pushing the housing into the y pipe. He is not going to rip out the Hypermax setup and pay to build a t4 kit, as the Hypermax kit was a one off to accept the aeroforce sensors/pyro/etc. He would also like to retain the 369 rather than going to a holeset setup due to injector size and purpose behind the truck.

We ordered a 1.00 housing on the 369. Injectors are PIS 238/100S. The Excursion will be used as a DD and towing a 15k travel trailer quite frequently. Heat is his main concern towing over the CO passes. Truck will reside in a stock or mild 40-tow tune when pulling.

So after taking a closer look at the old 1.15 housing and trying to fit it up to the 366, it would be accepted by the new 369 center cartridge, as its near if not identical to the 366 from a visual. However the old 366 had a 74mm turbine vs. the 80 that’s on the new 369. So besides that issue it’s a direct fit.

Until I can find a vendor that has released a t4i housing that will accept the Hypermax setup. My question to you all is why can’t the interior of the exhaust housing be milled to accept the 80mm turbine? When comparing to the current t4 housing it looks like that is exactly what BW did to fit the bigger wheel in there on an unchanged t4 housing. I compared it to my 366 and the exhaust side is the same, but slightly milled.

My first option would be to hear or find a vendor who can supply the proper housing.

The second is to take the current 1.15 housing off the old unit and open the inner bore on the exhaust side all of 3mm to fit the 80mm turbine, as it appears this is exactly what BW did to their t4 housing.

If any of you have any data on why this would be a bad idea, please provide it. If anybody has a contact for the proper housing please PM me ASAP, we would like to run a 1.0….

In the end this brings me back to where did swamps get the 1.15 housing from to bolt up to the Hypermax setup. I will be calling them on Monday to hopefully find this out. Is this a standard H2E housing, can I just find one that accepts a 80mm turbine and utilizes the same CC mounting diameter at the 366/369.

Thanks! Few visuals to reference….

Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Wow um uh...that's amess. Wish I had any sugestions

Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The h2e will work with the hypermax kit

Old 03-12-2016, 09:35 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I'm not thinking this is a normal t4i mount . I thought the snout was longer but that's shorter than the standard. This really throws a wrench in this project.

A new mount would fix the issue but then ic pipes and dp wouldn't work. Maybe barder will have a "fix"

Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
The 366 has a normal t4i housing from what I can tell. The hypermax kit is not being removed.

What I'm getting at is I need a reason of why milling the old t4i 366 housing out another 3 mm on radius. Like I said looking at the new T4 exhaust housing compared to my 366 exhaust housing, everything is identical, besides a larger milled bore... So why not do exactly that on the old t4i exhaust housing? That's the plan on Monday if I can not get a definitive answer from anyone. I left two VM, an email, and called James a couple of additional times. No luck yet, but I'm sure he was busy.

In retrospect glen is running a 68 compressor wheel on his 366... It's just machine out to accept a bigger wheel... So why can't you do a minor change on the other side?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. When James Barder changed my turbo over to 1.0 turbine housing machined to fit a 80x73 turbine wheel I was running stage II's. Now with stage I's I'm thinking about switching back to the .91 housing to get my boost up at cruising speeds. He said it would run a little hotter at WOT with the .91 but I'm just not getting the boost to get things moving. We have been emailing back and forth and I just got one so you might try email. When he did the work on it and was going to mail it back to me I had him put my .91 housing in the box. Sorta glad I asked because I'm thinking of trying it again now that I have I's instead of II's.

Another thing I can't get my head around is why did the 1.0 housing have to be machined to fit the 80x73 turbine wheel and in a email he said I could put the .91 back on without changing anything else? What size turbine wheel comes with a stock s366? Sorry if this is derailing your thread Nick!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:15 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. When James Barder changed my turbo over to 1.0 turbine housing machined to fit a 80x73 turbine wheel I was running stage II's. Now with stage I's I'm thinking about switching back to the .91 housing to get my boost up at cruising speeds. He said it would run a little hotter at WOT with the .91 but I'm just not getting the boost to get things moving. We have been emailing back and forth and I just got one so you might try email. When he did the work on it and was going to mail it back to me I had him put my .91 housing in the box. Sorta glad I asked because I'm thinking of trying it again now that I have I's instead of II's.

Another thing I can't get my head around is why did the 1.0 housing have to be machined to fit the 80x73 turbine wheel and in a email he said I could put the .91 back on without changing anything else? What size turbine wheel comes with a stock s366? Sorry if this is derailing your thread Nick!
Glen do you have a build sheet from him? I thought you had a 74mm turbine, and a 68 mm oversized compressor wheel, which would make sense of why you could slap the stock .91 housing back on the exhaust side as all 366s use a 74...

The 69 uses an 80 turbine and 69 compressor side, I'm sure I could take this 80mm housing off the new 369 and bolt it right up to the 366 and run an 80 mm turbine on the exhaust side if I wanted

All in all, all turbo builders mill housings on a daily basis, heck I'm sure I could walk into a rice rocket shop and they would laugh and then explain how simple this is...;-)

Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:40 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Glenn I misspoke..

Turbines on the current 366 are 80mm x 74mm the compressors are 91x66mm... The hybrid I have has the 91x66 but some melted weird 74x xxmm...

Anyways sorry for the confusion, head is swimming a bit picking this all up...

Old 03-13-2016, 03:45 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man Nik, this is quite the conundrum. I'm not sure why milling the 1.15 wouldn't work. I am wondering how laggy it will be with that housing, but it sure sounds like options are limited. Unfortunately the other thing that comes to mind is if those injectors really are 238/100's. Either the PO was clueless or a salesmen. Either option isn't appealing. Bums me out you're having to deal with this as I was excited to hear how the setup worked. Maybe swamps can answer how they made it work tomorrow?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:04 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tshrager
Man Nik, this is quite the conundrum. I'm not sure why milling the 1.15 wouldn't work. I am wondering how laggy it will be with that housing, but it sure sounds like options are limited. Unfortunately the other thing that comes to mind is if those injectors really are 238/100's. Either the PO was clueless or a salesmen. Either option isn't appealing. Bums me out you're having to deal with this as I was excited to hear how the setup worked. Maybe swamps can answer how they made it work tomorrow?
Well I can confirm the injectors are 238/100s, as I had to replace all the orings, they are etched with the size and date on the body... I also have the receipt when they were purchased new.

So that I can confirm ;-)

Regarding lag, truck spooled pretty darn well with the old setup, semi blown turbo, blown injector orings, weak pump and laundry list of issues. Running a bigger wheel should not affect us all too much, a tad yes. I still think it will run like a bat outta hell when we get it resolved. The fuel/turbo combo is pretty close. I run a .91 on my little tird stage 1s, the old worn out setup spools as soon or a tad bit sooner than mine. We will see...

Like I said if I can not get a reason of why not we are machining it out Monday.....

Just for grins... Flushed the fuel system out, first 9 oz of fluid was water out of the sep, the diesel was the consistency of pure motor oil... Pic for visual ;-(

Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I'm no help, but I couldn't help but notice how little help the SD side is being to you. I'll just leave it there.

Hope you get it figured out Nick!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:10 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by madMatador78
I'm no help, but I couldn't help but notice how little help the SD side is being to you. I'll just leave it there.

Hope you get it figured out Nick!

;-) i posted it here for that reason!

We'll get it!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Why not send the new turbo back and run a h2e ?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Glen do you have a build sheet from him? I thought you had a 74mm turbine, and a 68 mm oversized compressor wheel, which would make sense of why you could slap the stock .91 housing back on the exhaust side as all 366s use a 74...

The 69 uses an 80 turbine and 69 compressor side, I'm sure I could take this 80mm housing off the new 369 and bolt it right up to the 366 and run an 80 mm turbine on the exhaust side if I wanted

All in all, all turbo builders mill housings on a daily basis, heck I'm sure I could walk into a rice rocket shop and they would laugh and then explain how simple this is...;-)

Thanks again for your help.

This is as close to a build sheet as I have.

I'm just wondering how my .91 housing can go back on if the 1.0 housing had to be machined to fit a 80x73? You say a 80x74 is stock for a s366 so I'm lost!

Edit: again I'm sorry for screwing up your thread. Carry on! LOL

Old 03-14-2016, 10:24 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordpride
Why not send the new turbo back and run a h2e ?
Barder had me contact River City Turbo, I hope they can help out with a 1.0 or .91 housing. Swamps did not think the 1.15 would be all too laggy with the fuel being ran and the primary use for the truck.

If it comes to it I will send the 369 back and get an H2E. I have installed afew of them, but never have sized or truly specd out what would work properly...

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
This is as close to a build sheet as I have.

I'm just wondering how my .91 housing can go back on if the 1.0 housing had to be machined to fit a 80x73? You say a 80x74 is stock for a s366 so I'm lost!

Edit: again I'm sorry for screwing up your thread. Carry on! LOL
Yeah the 80x74 turbine is stock. its what is in mine and what is also on this 369. Not sure why either or would need to be machined to fit unless they are simply stating the factory machines the inner bore, as that is correct but has to be done on all of them.

the exhaust housing should bolt right up! I thought he threw a 91x68mm compressor in yours vs the 91x66 that was stock. Then the compressor housing would need to be machined.... the aluminum side

Quick Reply: Need Help!! Hypermax t4 S366 to s369