6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Does the 6.7's reliability really ruin the fun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:24 AM
jimmystoys
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a '05 6.0l of which I did a lot of parts replacing...regularly it seemed. Once things were replaced thou, it was a good truck. Now my 2012, although I had some deleting early on (don't know if that helped in my case) I didn't have the routine repairs...that I was used too! Had an invisible rad leak early on that I didn't notice but the dealer took upon themselves to replace. Now after just over 93,000mi my ABS pump went. It wasn't under warranty but almost felt happy to pay for it since that was the only thing that really failed for me. I am very pleased with the 6.7. It's a bang on design!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM
carlhwv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
I still have my 7.3 Excursion, sold my 2001 f250 last week. Only hope the 6.7 is a reliable as the old 7.3's. Between those over 500k of trouble free miles, save water pumps and alts haha.
Sold my 2002 7.3 SRW to a friend a few years back. Best vehicle/motor combo I ever had. Did regular maintenance...had a front wheel bearing go out and replaced one injector. We hulled hay on a goose neck. Never weighed it and tried to pretend round bails didn't really weight 1000lbs...... Still works hard pulling horses and hay in No Va and last time I talked to Joe, clock turned 270k.

Bought a EcoBoost in 2013. Been driving it for past three years. I was never out about a small engine that created more torque and hp than the 7.3. While I haven't worked her like the last one, i did do the research and see that a lot of people are doing far more than they could 10 years ago. I looked at it long and hard and only for the reason my wife ants a real big 5th wheel, we are selling e F150 and ordered a 6.7 F350.

I'm not an engineer but after seeing what Ford did with a 3.5L v6, I've got to believe they could do something pretty dramatic with a v8 gas if they wanted to. Personally I think they want the differentiation in the products and we will never see a gas engine that will perform like a diesel in the SD.

For me it was easy....if I didn't need ability to tow 15,000lbs coast to coast I would have kept the F150. With a tire and suspension upgrade I have no doubt it would be a great platform for whatever was thrown at with a ton in the bed or pulling 10,000lbs.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty common topic and discussion, I did the same thing back and fourth. I bought a '12 F-250 brand new with the 6.2....I wanted the 6.7 but just didnt have the money. I really liked the truck and it was my first Ford truck I ever bought. It worked great and pulled my trailer just fine (9,500 pounds) You do have to turn the revs up but it pulls it. I would avg about 8mpg pulling the trailer about 65mph. The truck was my daily commuter about 70-100 miles a day with some stop and go traffic.

I do like rpms and twisting engines but only in my race car....I was not a fan going down the north Georgia mountains in tow haul mode.....oh my god it stayed around 4,500-4,800 engine braking....it was screaming!

I traded it in November of '14 on a new '15 Platinum with a 6.7 and all I can say is WOW! The fun factor is definitely there whether you are empty or loaded. The power is just incredible with little throttle input. The towing experience is worth every penny I paid for this thing. I dont tow a bunch but when I do it makes it all worth it!

Prior to buying all I heard was " it cost too much to own a diesel" or " the maintenance on a diesel is just crazy" well I'm here to tell you thats just not the case. I do my own servicing and its no big deal I buy Rotella T6 synthetic and a motorcraft filter which runs about $75 I did take it to the dealer for the fuel filter change but for both filters it was only $115 not bad since its only every 22k miles. My local dealer also does oil changes for $99 but its not synthetic. The DEF is not a big deal as its relatively cheap and fill it every 5k miles. I do drain some fuel every 6 weeks or so and thats about 5 minutes under the truck. Toss in an air filter at oil change and thats it....pretty damn simple and not huge amounts over what a gasser costs.

For the weight you are gonna be pulling it would not be a hard decision, if you can afford the diesel then buy it! You will be happy the first time you tow as there will be no "white knuckle towing"!

And fun factor....well the truck is simply fun as hell to drive empty!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
I still have my 7.3 Excursion, sold my 2001 f250 last week. Only hope the 6.7 is a reliable as the old 7.3's. Between those over 500k of trouble free miles, save water pumps and alts haha.
I'm with you. I think the 7.3 will go down as pretty much bulletproof. I remember when I got my first one in '98...everyone was talking about it hoping it would hold up. Time is the only true test but from what I have research he'd and the reports so far is the 6.7 is on track.....it did take three revs to get it right after the 7.3. I held out and hope now I have jumped back in. Ran my '02 till '13 and it's still workimg for its new owner..be it mostly farm work...but not many rigs do what ours did with 270k on the clock...OK.. I'll quit...

Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I really appreciate all of the well articulated responses to my question. This thread settled it for me. I'm really looking forward to ordering a 2017 sometime this year.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by Amelio

Prior to buying all I heard was " it cost too much to own a diesel" or " the maintenance on a diesel is just crazy" well I'm here to tell you thats just not the case. I do my own servicing and its no big deal I buy Rotella T6 synthetic and a motorcraft filter which runs about $75 I did take it to the dealer for the fuel filter change but for both filters it was only $115 not bad since its only every 22k miles. My local dealer also does oil changes for $99 but its not synthetic. The DEF is not a big deal as its relatively cheap and fill it every 5k miles. I do drain some fuel every 6 weeks or so and thats about 5 minutes under the truck. Toss in an air filter at oil change and thats it....pretty damn simple and not huge amounts over what a gasser costs.

For the weight you are gonna be pulling it would not be a hard decision, if you can afford the diesel then buy it! You will be happy the first time you tow as there will be no "white knuckle towing"!

And fun factor....well the truck is simply fun as hell to drive empty!
Great conversation: I too am trying to make a decision on next truck.
F150 is OUT. made that decision

Now it is down to F250 6.2 Gas vs F250 6.7 PS.
I will be towing 8-10K. Purchase is for towing capability/comfort. Otherwise I would just keep my existing truck

I do my own maintenance (that is possible today)... I am new to diesel maintenance so I am in data collection mode.

What is this? To eliminate any water from tank, or something else?
I do drain some fuel every 6 weeks or so and that's about 5 minutes under the truck.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 PM
cappa
Senior User
What is this? To eliminate any water from tank, or something else?
I do drain some fuel every 6 weeks or so and that's about 5 minutes under the truck.[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about draining the water separator on the bottom of the frame mounted fuel filter. Drain it to try and prevent any water carryover if it builds up. Manual says to drain it once a month i think, only takes a couple minutes. It should trigger a water in fuel light if too much builds up. Althou some ppl, myself included, dont want that light to be stored in memory if i ever do have a hpfp problem.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
With diesels you will be learning a different language so to speak vs the gas and a lot different things that should be done to prevent problems.

8-10K towing you are at the decision point of gas vs diesel.
One question do you think you will be going thru the mountains towing? If you even think you might, get the diesel. You will fly past all others in the slow lane.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:16 PM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
With diesels you will be learning a different language so to speak vs the gas and a lot different things that should be done to prevent problems.

8-10K towing you are at the decision point of gas vs diesel.
One question do you think you will be going thru the mountains towing? If you even think you might, get the diesel. You will fly past all others in the slow lane.
I am trying to learn the language through research to make sure that I know what I might be signing myself up for. I am not afraid of regular backyard maintenance.

Answer: I live in the foothills in Northern Cal. There are hills to get anywhere away from my house unless you drive due west to the ocean. Then there is coming home. Yes, there will be mountain towing.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll vote for you to get the diesel.

As far as maintenance here are the differences between gas and diesel as I recall and for the Ford 6.7:

1. You have to change the fuel filters every 10k-15k miles. (or when the dash tells you to)

2. Already discussed draining the fuel bowl. I've never found water in it... But I do it every once in a while.

3. Coolant needs testing when the dash tells you to. There are two separate cooling systems too.

4. Oil changes are about the same, but there is MORE of it to change.

5. You'll need to put DEF or Diesel Exhaust Fluid in every 4k - 6k miles. You can get it at fuel stations (especially truck stop ones), Wal Mart, and most auto parts stores. If a truck stop has bulk DEF it's way cheaper at around $2.79 or so a gal. It was supposed to be geared towards a refill at every oil change, but it never works out that way for me.

6. You have an air filter minder (not sure if the 6.2 does, but most gas engine don't). It tells you the restriction of the air filter for the engine.

7. Government recommends you plug in at +20F (block heater), but most people go by below 0F you plug in. As long as your fuel doesn't gel, the truck is supposed to start in even -40F temps. It's important to fill up regularly as the fuel companies switch from summer to winter fuel. This may not apply to you. It didn't to me when I lived in South Florida. We wouldn't get below freezing.

8. No spark plugs to worry about. (16 of them on a 6.2).

9. Potential Better resale down the road. At least a diesel holds it's value. The gas truck could, but I know 99% that the diesel will.

10. The smile on your face is bigger when you mash the go pedal - especially with a trailer behind you.

- Really it's reading the book. All of the above the average gal/guy can do in their driveway without any issues. Except in the winter in my case, because it doesn't fit in my heated garage and I am not changing the oil in -20F.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 PM
David_ski
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dakster
I'll vote for you to get the diesel.

10. The smile on your face is bigger when you mash the go pedal - especially with a trailer behind you.

- Really it's reading the book. All of the above the average gal/guy can do in their driveway without any issues. Except in the winter in my case, because it doesn't fit in my heated garage and I am not changing the oil in -20F.
thanks for the info.
Nothing so far is scaring me away from the diesel. I read and re-read maintenance manuals on anything new to me that is not disposable. Still trying to understand the "DPF Regen" process.

It never gets below 25F here so block heating is probably only a concern when travelling. it only gets close to those temps 1-5 days a year here.

A smile on my face is always good when towing.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 PM
apd966
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
6.7 ruined my fun

I have a 2012 f250 6.7, last month my truck gave me a engine light and a message ; reduced engine power. I had no clue what happened. From the ford dealership I got a call and they said they found water in my fuel, the cost to repair $9500.00, OUCH!!! Well how the hell did water get in. The gas station I regularly get my diesel said they found no water in the fuel. The next possible suspect was the Titan tank I had installed a month after I got the truck. After removing the tank it appears the water entered a poorly installed tank. My insurance company paid for the damage, thank god!!.
I took have had the radiator leak issue, some new flashing issues.
Im looking to go back to gas after the adjustor told me my truck was a "Princess Truck", and went on to explain that she is always adjusting Fords with the 6.7 in them. The 2017 6.2 will have 385 hp and 405 torq with a 35 gallon gas tank, gonna test drive once they come out.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry you are having issues, but a poorly installed aftermarket tank is hardly Ford's fault. The tiny tank in the SB is Ford's fault, which makes you want to add a Titan tank in the first place though.

The radiator is a known weakness. I don't think it is relegated just to diesel super duties. I bet there are failures in the gas ones too.

I'm looking for the numbers, but something tells me the diesel outsells the gas engines in super duties, IF so it would make sense that she would be adjusting more diesels than gas trucks.

However, I'm happy that Ford has a gas option and that you will be happy in a gas truck.

After owning a diesel truck, I can't go back to a gas truck. I have tried and shortly I end up back in a diesel. This is just my preference and personality though. Even my wife likes driving diesels, to the point she wants a diesel car/suv again. And thanks to VW that will be awhile now. Because they messed up other manufacturers from releasing diesel vehicles here.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by apd966
The 2017 6.2 will have 385 hp and 405 torq with a 35 gallon gas tank, gonna test drive once they come out.
That's what the gas Super Duty's currently have. The 2017 gas Super Duty will actually have more power and / or torque, and a little less weight. Not sure what the fuel tank size will be, but probably "large."

Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
The radiator is a known weakness. I don't think it is relegated just to diesel super duties. I bet there are failures in the gas ones too.

After owning a diesel truck, I can't go back to a gas truck. I have tried and shortly I end up back in a diesel. This is just my preference and personality though. Even my wife likes driving diesels, to the point she wants a diesel car/suv again. And thanks to VW that will be awhile now. Because they messed up other manufacturers from releasing diesel vehicles here.
Actually, I don't think the gas radiators are failing. I could be wrong, but it is a totally different radiator and there is only one radiator. I never had issues on either of my gas Super Duty radiators.

Quick Reply: Does the 6.7's reliability really ruin the fun?