Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ICP or IPR? HELP??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 AM
robkid
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ICP or IPR? HELP??

I believe I am having either a ICP or IPR troubles.

Symptoms:
1. Had a warm/hot start issue, drive for 20-45 min park shut down try to restart after 15-30 min. no fire. good crank just not getting fuel. checked fuel bowl, replaced camshaft sensor, nothing. after about 30-60 min. it fired and ran like there was no issue.

I researched that problem here and learned about the ICP and IPR.
I had just bought the truck, first powerstroke. I have not had that issue since. Only difference was I started commuting 160 miles per day and attributed the warm start issue to gunk on the IPR being burned off with longer hauls. Taught truck might have sat for a while, lock rot issue.

2. Couple of days ago shortly after starting truck on my way home it died and wouldnt restart. Replaced camshaft sensor,again, thought that I might have gotten a faulty one, unplugged the ICP cranked plugged it back in cranked nothing. After sitting for about a hour, trying to start every 10-15 min it finally restarted and has been back to champ mode.

With my limited research and mechanical experience this sounds like it has to be a fuel delivery issue and believe it to be one of these two sensors, if not both.

Sunny and 75 when truck cut off while driving, 02 350 w/ 220k miles.

Before I drop $400 on sensors any advice on how to narrow down the issue. I have no testing equipment or experience using readers/multimeters.

This is my only mechanical issue with the truck.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by robkid
I believe I am having either a ICP or IPR troubles.

Symptoms:
1. Had a warm/hot start issue, drive for 20-45 min park shut down try to restart after 15-30 min. no fire. good crank just not getting fuel. checked fuel bowl, replaced camshaft sensor, nothing. after about 30-60 min. it fired and ran like there was no issue.

I researched that problem here and learned about the ICP and IPR.
I had just bought the truck, first powerstroke. I have not had that issue since. Only difference was I started commuting 160 miles per day and attributed the warm start issue to gunk on the IPR being burned off with longer hauls. Taught truck might have sat for a while, lock rot issue.

2. Couple of days ago shortly after starting truck on my way home it died and wouldnt restart. Replaced camshaft sensor,again, thought that I might have gotten a faulty one, unplugged the ICP cranked plugged it back in cranked nothing. After sitting for about a hour, trying to start every 10-15 min it finally restarted and has been back to champ mode.

With my limited research and mechanical experience this sounds like it has to be a fuel delivery issue and believe it to be one of these two sensors, if not both.

Sunny and 75 when truck cut off while driving, 02 350 w/ 220k miles.

Before I drop $400 on sensors any advice on how to narrow down the issue. I have no testing equipment or experience using readers/multimeters.

This is my only mechanical issue with the truck.

Thanks.
One thing you can do is try and dump ice water or spray the IPR with an inverted can of keyboard air cleaner in an effort to cool it down. If the truck fires right up after you cool it, it could very well be time for a new IPR or maybe rebuilding the existing sensor.

Have you checked to see if the tinman nut is still attached to the rear of the IPR? These at time can work loose and / or fall off the sensor completely.

Do you have access to scan tool or other set up to read values in the truck when it starts misbehaving? If not, and you plan on keeping it a while, it will be a worthwhile investment.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
99% IPR.

You've already replaced the CPS twice. You've unplugged the ICP with no change. Hot running/hot start issues are commonly traced back to the IPR. The clue for me was that you drove it for a bit, it died, and an hour later it started again. I've had that happen on my old truck, and I've seen the exact same thing on many others. In every case it was an IPR.

If you have a code reader that is compatible with the PSD's, do a 20 second crank the next time it won't start. It will trigger a P1211 code, indicating an issue with injection pressure. That will tell you the IPR is stuck. If you have a diagnostic scanner, you can watch ICP as you crank. If pressure never gets to 400psi, the IPR is stuck.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM
robkid
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
IPR swapped. Time will tell now. Did the swap without removing any of the fuel bowl assembly. Doable but quite the pain in the ***.