Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Drill Bits

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Drill Bits

Done with 'drill bit kits' currently shopping for individual bits. I used them as projects come up, primarily for metal work, I learned to drill at slow speeds and use a lubricant. Yesterday stopped at a few local hardware and large home improvement outlets and found the choices is either store brand, or Dewalt, and not that impressed with Dewalt.

Decided to do my shopping online, been looking at Irwin, Bosch, and a brand aint never heard of Roku?, and thought I would check with member's more familiar with the various types of bits, quality of the various brands, and source; my understanding is I should be looking for a HS cobalt bit that has a Titanium coat? Suggestions appreciated!

Just for comparison in types, not necessarily for brand:

215801 | Drill Bit: 1/16 inch, jobber-length, HSS-Co5, 10/pk

228801 | Drill Bit: 1/16 inch, jobber-length, black & gold, 10/pk

Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Came across a video comparing Cobalt drill bits: Champion, Irwin, Milwaukee, and Dewalt and came to the conclusion if I purchase low grade drill bits then expect minimal life expectancy and low quality. Decided to give the 6pc Champion Platinum drill bits kit, and the Dewalt 'cobalt' drill kit a try?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What sizes do you use primarily?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Tend to go thru the smaller bits sooner; 1/8th" thru 1/32nd"; which I assume is to be expected, amount to around 6-8 individual bit? There are an abundance of the larger bits, unused, rolling around in my tool box. Put the bits mentioned in the shopping chart but have not pulled the purchase trigger yet, still debating whether to go with sets, or buy them individually??

Old 03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy the sizes I use a lot in large quantity when on sale. I use a Drill Doctor to sharpen my bigger sizes & spade bits. I drill lots of hardwoods & some metal. My metal drilling is usually 1/16 to 1/4. I use a slow speed on metal with oil. My wood bits are run slower the bigger they are. I use fosner bits for cabinet hinges & other holes with a smooth bottom. I have several sets of hole saw bits used mainly on wood & metal doors. All of them are bimetal sets. I build cabinets & furnature so I use lots of bits.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:08 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
well, I would just buy bulk, if your using small bits. In my old business, we drilled alot of metal using 1/8 or 3/16. We found a place to buy double sided bits in bulk for dirt cheap. If you get a bit hard enough to have longevity in drilling metal, then they become more brittle. This is ok with larger bits, but leads to alot of breaking with smaller bits. I would just buy them in bulk for as cheap as I can and throw them away. Last time I needed to fill drill indexes I bought a bulk assortment from Menards. They are decent and the price is right.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Not familiar with Fosner, during 'home remodel' Irwin was the only wood working bits locally available and seemed to hold up fairly well. Drill Doctor is another discussion, now that I have pretty much done with the major wood and metal projects not sure how much use the Drill Doctor would be of any use??

Old 03-11-2016, 05:36 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=4x4slik;16117933]well, I would just buy bulk, if your using small bits. In my old business, we drilled alot of metal using 1/8 or 3/16. We found a place to buy double sided bits in bulk for dirt cheap. If you get a bit hard enough to have longevity in drilling metal, then they become more brittle. This is ok with larger bits, but leads to alot of breaking with smaller bits. I would just buy them in bulk for as cheap as I can and throw them away. Last time I needed to fill drill indexes I bought a bulk assortment from Menards. They are decent and the price is right.

Bookmarked the site, quick peek and aware it's a simplification in comparing Cobalt to other HS drill bits but with regard to pricing, 50 cents per bit, as opposed to $11 per bit: having said that, I am also aware one can purchase low quality items; HF, as an example, where the life expectancy of a drill bit is about as long as it takes to cook a 3 min. egg, need to research further.

Appreciated U' all input, greatly appreciated!!.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
A fosner bit drills a hole with a flat bottom for some types of cabinet hardware like hidden hinges. It has a tiny point to center it or is run in a jig.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 PM
4x4slik
Elder User
awe, the problem is it is a forstner bit.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:21 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
If understand correctly, the Fosner bit is primarily used in wood working applications, more specifically, cabinetry type use. seem to recall we used a similar bottom type bit in installing the door hinges on the kitchen cabinets??

Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I grabbed a Champion cobalt bit on closeout and have been happy with it. I just wrapped up a project that involved a lot of holes drilled in flame cut steel, so HSS bits didn't last at all, pretty much every bit in my HF index is dull now. The Champion is still sharp after the last half dozen or so holes.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I grabbed a Champion cobalt bit on closeout and have been happy with it. I just wrapped up a project that involved a lot of holes drilled in flame cut steel, so HSS bits didn't last at all, pretty much every bit in my HF index is dull now. The Champion is still sharp after the last half dozen or so holes.
I've been using Champion bits pretty religiously for a few years now---will never use any other brand. I have a round screw-top index that runs up to 1/2", refill it as needed when one or more of the frequent use bits get dull.

They're fairly priced and work like crazy before they need to be discarded.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 PM
weeeves
Senior User
+1 on the Champion bits. Everyone has their go-to brand but if cost is a big factor, I would look into the Drill Hog bits. They are very high quality HSS bits made in the USA and are a fraction of the cost of the premium drill bits offered by Norseman, Champion, Cleveland, ect. They also have Cobalt bits.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:50 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Definitely go with a cobalt bit. The cobalt is added to the HSS at the mill and greatly improves the hot hardness of the bit. The crap "cobalt" bits sold by Harbor Freight and a number of other online retailers are just that - crap. You can't buy some 135 piece set of cobalt bits for $49.95 and actually expect them to be good for much except drilling wood. Maybe not even that! I buy only cobalt bits from McMaster-Carr and a couple of good quality 1/4" bits will cost as much as one of those Harbor Freight sets.
As far as the various coatings go, they do work well to extend drill life BUT only when using flood coolant. They are only a couple of tenths thick and once you wear through them or re-sharpen the bit they are gone. For home use they are a waste of money.
One other thing, learn to sharpen drill bits. Its not that hard. Some I sharpen by hand on a grinder and when I'm lazy I'll use my Drill Doctor. You can re-sharpen bits bigger than 1/8" a dozen times or more saving a bundle of $$$. Smaller than 1/8" - I usually toss them since I buy small bits in quantity.

Quick Reply: Drill Bits