Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

SPRING/SUMMER CHAT 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
And happy father's day to all those pappas out there!

Also, who has horses here? I take car of my neighbors horses a lot, and it seems like certain times of year, the hay I feed them really gets to me (allergies), but other times of year, it doesn't bother me one bit!

Do they use a different blend hay for winter and summer? Or do I have intermittent allergies?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:15 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Good morning everyone ☺
Happy Fathers day, all you Dads.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have horses but not anymore they cost to much and I don't have the time to ride them.

There is different types of hay that is more popular in different seasons depending on the area. I personally never had any allergic reactions but my bosses girlfriend does sometimes.

By the way happy fathers day Y'all.
Trav

Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Hay prices have gone crazy here.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I always wondered what the hay costs. My neighbors stockpile a whole bunch at one time so I would think it costs a bit up front.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here hay is $22 a bale when I had horses I had a guy who would sell it to me $14 a bale.
Trav

Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
I'll stick to boats! They aren't cheap, but at least I don't have to feed it year round

Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by UP_There
I'll stick to boats! They aren't cheap, but at least I don't have to feed it year round
No but you sure have to feed them everytime you take them out! I don't know if it's just the boats we've had in the past, but they all get pretty terrible gas mileage. On top of that, marina gas prices are always like 2 to 3 times more expensive....

When I get my own place and a boat (after my service is done and I move back here), I think I'm going to buy some nice air tight storage containers so I can bring my own gas up and not have to worry about paying special marina prices! Maybe I'll do a powerstroke swap in a boat! Now wouldn't that be cool! A low revving diesel might not be a good candidate for a boat though..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
No but you sure have to feed them everytime you take them out! I don't know if it's just the boats we've had in the past, but they all get pretty terrible gas mileage. On top of that, marina gas prices are always like 2 to 3 times more expensive....

When I get my own place and a boat (after my service is done and I move back here), I think I'm going to buy some nice air tight storage containers so I can bring my own gas up and not have to worry about paying special marina prices! Maybe I'll do a powerstroke swap in a boat! Now wouldn't that be cool! A low revving diesel might not be a good candidate for a boat though..
Yes, I just spent 5 days at Lake Powell, I arrive with a full tank, and a couple of cans full, but there's no avoiding the Marina eventually. It was $4.50 a gallon at Dangling Rope marina, and worth every penny

Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't been to Lake Powell in probably 15 years. That place is incredible though. I really need to go back, but it will take some saving up to do what we used to. Renting the houseboats there is probably the best vacations I've ever had.

Once I get settled in my own place and save up some money, I'll try and take my parents back out there!

I think the gas prices at Lake Mead are a little worse than Powell, but they aren't far off. We went there last summer because my girlfriend had a huge discount with the company she was working with at the time to rent a houseboat at Lake Mead. We also rented one of their smaller boats so we didn't have to haul our boat up there. That small boat we rented got about 1 to .5 MPG and had a top speed of about 10 mpg. It was terrible! We should have brought our boat up instead. The houseboat and everything else was great though! Lake Mead had nothing on Lake Powell though.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Lake Mead is nice, but there isn't a lake ANYWHERE that compares to Lake Powell. It's definitely my favorite place to be. Here's a couple campsites that I had on my trip....

Name:  Rock%20Creek.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  Gunsite.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  63.7 KB

Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
That looks so incredible! I agree completely. No other lake compares to Lake Powell. We used to be able to go almost every year when I was a kid, but that stopped when I was about 13.

I really can't wait to go back! I take it you didn't rent a houseboat, you just camped on the shore? That would make it WAY cheaper, but I would think you couldn't stay quite as long. I would love to do that as well, but the houseboat thing is super nice as well.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:21 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
That looks so incredible! I agree completely. No other lake compares to Lake Powell. We used to be able to go almost every year when I was a kid, but that stopped when I was about 13.

I really can't wait to go back! I take it you didn't rent a houseboat, you just camped on the shore? That would make it WAY cheaper, but I would think you couldn't stay quite as long. I would love to do that as well, but the houseboat thing is super nice as well.

Nope.....my boat is the one on the right in the pic with both boats. I have a small cabin to sleep in. I haven't slept on the beach in a tent in years. Really the only cost is fuel, ice, and periodic maintenance. I don't count food, because you have to eat no matter where you are We make about 10 trips a year to Powell. I love it

Old 07-01-2016, 10:37 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning Arizona.
Happy long weekend guys ☺

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I love the monsoons! They are finally here. That storm two nights ago took out our power all day yesterday though.... It was still cloudy enough today that I could finish buffing out the driver side part of my hood on the Bronco however. I ended up running out of the correct buffing compound during wetsanding and my hood looked kinda dull. It was way too sunny and hot to finish that work until today!

Quick Reply: SPRING/SUMMER CHAT 2016