2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code Reader-Which one is good

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:24 AM
srpservices
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Reader-Which one is good

just did an engine swap in an 05 f150 and its running real rough. got it to throw a code so now i wanted to buy a decent code reader/scanner to help trouble shoot. any one have some suggestions on a good one.
thanks
scott

Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I am in no way an expert on the subject, (and I'm not a salesperson for them) but if you use an Android phone or pad - the Torque Pro app ($4.95) with a BlueTooth OBD II dongle ($10 - $20 from Ebay or Amazon) sure does a good job. I opted for this setup a couple of years ago and still to this day find new things it is capable of doing that even the most expensive ones will not.

Some examples: It reads / clears codes (even grey or pending codes). It links (via internet) to a database that gives descriptions of codes displayed. It reads live data that you can display on gauges of your choice (like dials, graphs, bar graphs, digital) - It will display ANY sensor(s) on ANY type gauge. It even has a HUD (head Up display) setting that will reflect the gauges on the inside of your windshield!) You can set up custom 'dashboards' for multiple vehicles. - It will LOG one or many sensors simultaneously and send the log file to your computer for analysis, ie: in Excel. You can grab a screenshots of any screen and send them anywhere (social media or your computer) - will 'scan' the ECU for additional sensors that are not defined in the its standard tables - and you can ADD those new sensor identifications (including formulas) then create new gauges to represent their readings.

Most of us don't even know enough about OBD to tap into all it's capabilities - and all for under twenty five bucks. You don't have to be a computer whiz to use it in its standard setup 'with the Ford extended PIDs loaded'. But as you learn more - its flexibility to accommodate more is phenomenal for the price.

I wish we could get a thread going for Torque users to share ideas on.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
srpservices
Senior User
will this work on an I phone?
almost crazy to not have something like this

Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
No Iphone version of it.

I guess if I were in that position knowing what I know now, I would probably pick me up an 'el cheapo' Android pad with WIFI capability or something.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Dash command app for iPhone

Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 PM
firebirdparts
Mountain Pass
I keep hearing Torque pro is so awesome, but I have an iPhone too. The I-phone only has expensive (like $80) OBDII interface options, but of course it's still totally worth it.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I use the elm327 found on eBay. And the Dashcmd app on my iPad. Works well.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 PM
srpservices
Senior User
thanks for the replies. i will look into the Dashcmd.
i can get the torque pro on my sons phone if needed.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought a Scangauge II for my truck. Not only a code reader, but also monitors vital engine functions a lot more accurately than the dash-mounted gauges do, because it's all digital. It does read codes, and will also clear them from the vehicle's memory after you have corrected the problem. They retail for about $160, but I found mine on EBay for $135. I'm still playing with it to know what all this little thing is capable of. Look up their website, that will tell you way more than I could. ScangaugeII made by Linear Logic. I just got it hooked up Friday night so I'm still new to it, yet. Doesn't hook up to any phone, it's a separate device.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 PM
srpservices
Senior User
i will check the scangaugeII out. i havent gotten anything yet.

thanks scott

Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 PM
24 Carat
Junior User
I've had an Innnova Equus 3145 for several years. Probably new old stock. I know they were like $85.00 + ten years ago and about $30.00 on Ebay now with free shipping.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:14 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
I have ZERO experience with Scanguage or Innova, and certainly am not knocking them. But one feature the BlueTooth connected systems (Dash Command or Torque Pro) offer that is very convenient (and I think useful) is the freedom of movement afforded by the wireless connection. It's handy to take the display unit under the hood while connected.
I find it very useful to 'challenge' specific sensor outputs while monitoring live data. (ie: watch O2 sensor(s) output while spraying starting fluid around the intake manifold / vacuum lines looking for a vacuum leak. Or, spraying computer keyboard cleaner on the Intake Air Temperature sensor. OR momentarily GROUND the signal wire on a VCT solenoid while monitoring CAMERRR!!!! Or, monitor Mass Air Flow while you plug the exhaust pipe!!! ) And their are hundreds more such informative examples.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:04 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's the really cool thing about having so many on the market, is you get to find one that works just right for you! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Black Helmet
Senior User
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
OK, got the dongle me torquepro app. Now what? Lol. Started exploring tonight but not really sure where to go with it. I have the coarse reader portion figured out I think. Any tips/tricks? Did anyone ever make a thread? If so, my searching must be lacking I'm not seeing it. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Black Helmet
OK, got the dongle me torquepro app. Now what? Lol. Started exploring tonight but not really sure where to go with it. I have the coarse reader portion figured out I think. Any tips/tricks? Did anyone ever make a thread? If so, my searching must be lacking I'm not seeing it. Thanks!

Congrats @Black Helmet
You have acquired the BEST OBDII scanner / logger / code reader that is on the market ---- bar none.

I am not a salesman for them and have nothing to gain by promoting Torque Pro &/or sharing my experience (other than helping fellow members get the best bang for their buck). I've just been using Torque Pro for two to three years and beat my brains out unraveling OBDII sensors / parameters on my '04 Lariat 5.4. Here are some subtle, phenomenal capabilities of Torque Pro that will help you get MUCH more out of it. They are not obvious on the surface, and do not effect any other options you may choose to set or not set.

These steps will literally give you MULTIPLE different 'scanners' for your $4.95 and are SO IMPORTANT because the Federally mandated parameters (ALL that most scanners provide) are very limited. No other scanner facilitates setting up manufacturer specific OBDII sensors/parameters so completely and easily.

FIRST: Go to >Settings >General Preferences >Number of dashboard screens, and increase the number. I think the Default is 7, I use 15. Use an odd number so you will have the same number swiping left as right from opening dashboard. Keep the center dashboard gauges there on the center screen. They are common (mandated OBDII things) and are available on most ALL OBD vehicles.

SECOND: SET UP VEHICLE PROFILE(S): Leave the "Default" vehicle profile alone (You will want to use the scanner on Friends / Neighbors vehicles) and their characteristics will be different - you may have NO idea of reasonable settings for them. When you use it on strange vehicles - you can garbage up default vehicle profile settings without effecting the integrity of settings for YOUR vehicle when you re-select YOUR vehicle profile.

THIRD: From the front screen, select >Menu button or 'Gear', Go to >Vehicle Profile > Create New Profile... and add and name a profile for "YOUR" truck. While doing that scroll down to >Advanced Settings - and "check" >enable this profile to use it's own dashboard layout and custom PIDs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have _well learned_ that OBDII sensors/pid assignments are ***NOT*** consistent or organized in their assignments between manufacturers. In fact EVEN within FORD models, they vary widely. I note your sig contains Three (3) vehicles and MANY MANY sensors on one will NOT exist on the other. The Torque Pro capability described here will occomodate that VERY NICELY - and is NOt availbale on any other scanner, eveh some costing literally thousands of dollers.

FORTH: Add 'Separate' vehicle Profiles for each of your other vehicles - > Check the Advanced box for separage dashboard layout / PIDs on each one. (Add one for your wife's car or any vehicle of different brand or characteristics that you may frequently analyze.)

FINALLY: From the 'opening screen', tap on Vehicle Profile name (at upper right) and from the popup menue >select a desired Vehicle Profile - then >Settings >Manage extra PIDs/Sensors , press the menu button and >ADD predefined set, and >chose the set for THIS vehicle profile. Repeat these steps for each vehicle you have setup a profile for.

----------------
After doing these steps - you have a Scanner customized for each vehicle you entered and the MAXIMUM number of gauges / parameters will be available for each.

Familarize yourself with "Adding" custom Gauges/PIDs. That's the real POWER within Torque Pro - that 'virtually' NO OTHER scanner, that I've ever ran across, offers. You can find lots of interesting parameters that manufacturers sneek into their OBDII systems for their own techs - and many can be found on line.

ALSO, an "Plug In" that you may want to investigate from Google Play store that is ' phenomenal ' and equally intuative and flexible as Torque Pro is "Realtime Charts for Torque Pro" (couple of bucks). You can "GRAPH" onscreen any (up to 8) gauge/parameter (even custom ones you have added) in a variety of colors / type graphs.

Hope this helps you get full benefit out of your purchase.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 07-19-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Can't spell ' phenomenal ' the same twice!

Quick Reply: Code Reader-Which one is good