1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

06 expedition limited 5.4l no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
nwlimited
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 expedition limited 5.4l no start

So I had a misfire in cyl4 the code reader said after that I drove and it cleared itself of the misfire then cpl weeks later it started missing again. I was driving and seemed if I was on the gas it was fine and soon as I kept same speed or came to a stop then it would miss. At the light on way home one day it was smoking out the tailpipe and a lot to. So I kept the R's up a little while waiting for the light then took off and was still missing. So I parked it at home and the next day came out to go to work and got click. Not just a click but it would almost start to turn then kind is click and it is a loud click like when it is trying to turn over but the motor was seized or locked up. Every Now and then it'd turn over and crank and then thud/click again. Then it'd do the thud/click for a while and if I let it sit for a few sometimes it crank and then go right back to the thud/click. It kept doing it and finally the starter went bad cuz it would just go weeeeeeee when I tried to start it so the starter went bad so I went and got one put it in and it cranked again and then thud it'd stop and seize up or load up again and thud/click I put it on a charger I tried jumping it and everything it still won't start and every time I try it just goes click but not just a regular click its like a turns over and then stops fast click. And every now and again it'll crank and go right backto the click right away. Its like its got vapor lock or somethin . Like it binds up and just stops the motor dead and won't budge. I know it not the motor cuz I can spin the crank by hand but idk maybe since it had the misfire its loaded up with gas and binds up and just goes click but the oil smells like its own gas tank in itself. I have it at the dealer where I bought it used cuz I bought it in December. I switched out starters to again so its not that not a bad motor or charging system so anyone have any ideas by what I've explained here?? Thoughts or input? The dealer is gonna take the plugs out and look at them and then turn it over to see if it still does that or if it cranks freely again. If it does crank with them out then we know its getting bound up with gas and hydro lockedd So I know I need a new coil pack for the one cylinder misfire but can just that one cause a vapor lock or hydro lock? Idk any input would be great cuz I can't keep it at the dealer it costs to much. I usedbto be a mechanic for a while when I was younger and never came across this tho. Thanks in advanc .

Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it was hydro-locked, perhaps a leaky injector? That would also explain the gas smell in the oil, as the gas would run into the oil from the cylinder.