6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is the best oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
OEM oil cooler (updated version) paired with a coolant filter setup is the way to go.

The coolant filter should catch any crud in your system before the oil cooler does.

When i bought my truck, it had a new oil cooler with a delta of 4 at 65mph. My delta climbed to 10 over the course of 5k miles and 4 months. I installed a coolant filter setup and 16k miles later, my delta remains at 10-11 at 65mph. The first 2 filters were full of crud and the 3rd looked decent. The first was changed at 1k miles, the 2nd at 3k and 3rd at 5k. I am currently on my 4th filter. I am getting ready to change the filter again and will post results on filter #4.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Wvstream71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You using sinister diesels coolant filter Brandon?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Wvstream71
Senior User
*correction* dealer recommends a dorman egr cooler.... Isn't dorman the original maker of the failing oil coolers? Hmmm....

Old 03-10-2016, 06:32 AM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know about the cooler themselves,but the gaskets are junk.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by KIDkiser
I'm up in the air about the so called upgraded cooler.seems both coolers are the same size,but they added another row,wouldn't that make the passages smaller in the new cooler making it easier to clogg up?and if it didn't clogg wouldn't the smaller passages slow coolant down? Maybe I'm over thinking.
Howdy,

I think you might be. The newer OEM cooler is physically (slightly) taller due to the additional row of cooling area. The passages aren't really any larger or smaller, there's just a little more cooling area.

The additional passage will just postpone the inevitable. The newer cooler will still clog, (if you don't take steps to prevent it) it'll just take longer.

The ONLY way to prevent a clogged cooler is to use a cooler that doesn't pass coolant through it. (an AIR:OIL heat exchanger)

If you use the OEM or newer OEM cooler, you'll still have to do extraordinary cooling system maintenance (flushing, the right kind of coolant and/or use a coolant filter.)

If you do not want to do that, your only other choice is the BPD AIR:OIL cooler or other AIR:OIL cooler

Yes........ you can get 1 of a few remotely mounted OEM coolers. But when they plug, you're still going to have to replace them. Try adding up the kit price using a remote system + 2 or 3 OEM coolers (IPR kit is around $1200) and you're approaching what a BPD kit costs (and you only do that once)

This i why I am going to install the BPD kit. (with the "Vernitherm" T-stat) Aircraft engines have been using this type of oil cooling and heat control since the 1940s. It's not rocket science.

I only want to do it once and I don't want to have to do extraordinary cooling system maintenance and then have to worry about it all the time I am driving. (& we shouldn't have to constantly monitor oil & coolant temps and the difference!)

Cheers,

Rick

Old 03-10-2016, 01:11 PM
AL`
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
The newer OEM cooler is physically (slightly) taller due to the additional row of cooling area. The passages aren't really any larger or smaller, there's just a little more cooling area.
Does anyone have an actual measurement of the height of the updated OEM oil cooler versus the original oil coolers? It would be nice to confirm if one purchases an updated cooler that it actually is one since there appears to be no other external indicator.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:22 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by AL`
Does anyone have an actual measurement of the height of the updated OEM oil cooler versus the original oil coolers? It would be nice to confirm if one purchases an updated cooler that it actually is one since there appears to be no other external indicator.
Seems like someone posted actual pictures indicating the differences between the original cooler and the newer one in a side-by-side comparison.

I seem to remember the newer one being slightly "taller". but there's evidently adequate clearance in the valley for it.

But that may not be true. I found the reference comparison. It appears that they may have keep the external dimensions the same, but still added an additional "row" of cooling.
https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/v/...oil_cooler.pdf

Referring to the above cutaway picture, they clearly were able to make the actual cooling "fin" height slightly higher by making the upper and/or lower housing a tad thinner to accommodate the additional cooling area......

No doubt it's an improvement over the original model because it increases the "clogging area" .......but it doesn't eliminate the clogging......... It evidently just postpones it......

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a big fan of BPD's air cooled oil cooler system. When I bought my truck the oil cooler was clogged. I did a ton of research and asked alot of questions on here before I tore into it. I did a coolant flush with Restore and Restore Plus before pulling the clogged oil cooler. I installed a new OEM oil cooler and buttoned everything back up. It was clogged again within 1500 miles. Now I didn't install a coolant filter and I should have cause that may well have kept the new cooler from clogging but hind sight is 20/20. At that point I said heck with this and ordered the BPD system. It was easy to install and works great. Never have to worry about a clogged oil cooler again. And before somebody makes the comment....I know I still need to maintain my coolant system and I will.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
After the second oil cooler started clogging (with a coolant filter in place) I went with the BPD remote cooler and filter. Very happy with it now for two years.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM
AL`
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LSO1123
I'm a big fan of BPD's air cooled oil cooler system. When I bought my truck the oil cooler was clogged. I did a ton of research and asked alot of questions on here before I tore into it. I did a coolant flush with Restore and Restore Plus before pulling the clogged oil cooler. I installed a new OEM oil cooler and buttoned everything back up. It was clogged again within 1500 miles. Now I didn't install a coolant filter and I should have cause that may well have kept the new cooler from clogging but hind sight is 20/20. At that point I said heck with this and ordered the BPD system. It was easy to install and works great. Never have to worry about a clogged oil cooler again. And before somebody makes the comment....I know I still need to maintain my coolant system and I will.
Just curious, but how many miles did you have on it when it clogged? I have a 2006 with the original oil cooler. My temps are typically 4 to 6 degrees of each other at normal steady state driving temperature. Currently have about 53K on it. I did have the coolant fluid changed at the dealer when I bought it at around 26K miles. I don't have a coolant filter installed yet but I haven't been worried since my temps track each other so well. I do have one though, just need to get some valves and figure out where I want to install it.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:55 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AL`
Just curious, but how many miles did you have on it when it clogged? I have a 2006 with the original oil cooler. My temps are typically 4 to 6 degrees of each other at normal steady state driving temperature. Currently have about 53K on it. I did have the coolant fluid changed at the dealer when I bought it at around 26K miles. I don't have a coolant filter installed yet but I haven't been worried since my temps track each other so well. I do have one though, just need to get some valves and figure out where I want to install it.
The truck had 200k miles on it when I bought it. According to the oasis report the oil cooler had been changed by the dealer before I bought it but I don't remember at what mileage. When I bought it at 200k it was clogged again.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:20 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by AL`
A lot of what seems to be circulating in there is casting sand. I've heard both sides of this: but as the story goes Navistar started double washing the blocks sometime in MY '06. It does make some sense as folks who have cut open their coolant filters seem to find most of crap in the 1st few filter changes, and usually its decreasing from the 1st one on. Waiting for a Sale and getting the XDP filter, which in my opinion is one of the best values for the bypass style, it really is a cheap PM item -- and if I can install one ANYONE can!

Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by LSO1123
And before somebody makes the comment....I know I still need to maintain my coolant system and I will.
But now, you can just do "normal" cooling system maintenance......... (like all the other engines in vehicles on the planet!!)

Old 03-18-2016, 07:45 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
But now, you can just do "normal" cooling system maintenance......... (like all the other engines in vehicles on the planet!!)
Exactly!!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 PM
stanley6.0
Freshman User
I'm wondering the same thing.. I don't do much towing (besides taking the rangers down to the deer lease every so often) so would BPD's air-to-oil cooler be a good choice? Or should I stick with the coolant-to-oil cooler instead.

Quick Reply: What is the best oil cooler?