6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Random Smoke, need help diagnosing please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Injectors are easy to change out by yourself. The hardest ones to do are #5 & #7.

I have 214k on my Ex and just did an HPOP. I had the turbo on the bench and looked it over. I was amazed that the turbo didn't look to bad on the inside.

From what I read in the service folder the telltale sign of an oil issue in the turbo is on the down pipe side. If there is a wet swirl then the seal is bad. I had none of that.

From the picture I see oil in your compressor fins. That is more likely caused by oil being pulled up from the pcv vent on the driver side valve cover.

Is the smoke you are seeing black, white or blue?

Start with the injectors. Ford OEM if you are not going to put a bigger turbo and studs on it. Around 205.00 each for the 03's. Call around and price shop. You will find a dealer that will sell to you around that price.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bthr22
I'm having almost the exact same problem as you. Cold start I'll get a light haze at idle, but seems ok on acceleration. Then when ECT/EOT is right around 160* I'll get some heavier white smoke under light acceleration, with some loss of power. It clears up when I get into the pedal a bit more. Then once I hit 170+ it seems to stop, although, it may still have some light smoke at idle that I just am not seeing.

I was literally about to make a post about it when I saw your thread!

It would be a good idea to start a thread. Yours might not be injectors or a turbo. Plus hijacking a thread is not cool! lol

Old 03-27-2016, 02:00 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Is the smoke you are seeing black, white or blue?.
It's like a Gray, my very 1st post has a Video
Thanks for the Tip

Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
It would be a good idea to start a thread. Yours might not be injectors or a turbo. Plus hijacking a thread is not cool! lol
Definitely wasn't trying to hijack. Just remarking on what seems to me to be a similar problem, and that I'm interested in what the root cause ends up being.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Poured a bottle of Archoil AR9100 straight down the Oil Filter Housing, after draining the appropriate amount from the crankcase of course.
Sure is nice having that Fumoto Valve sometimes.

Fingers crossed it helps, just can't tear her down right now, due to financial limitations and the fact we can't have the Truck out of operation at this time.

Plus, I am curious to see what if any symptoms its having, are affected from using this product over time. "IF" it really helps the Injectors (like it says) and the random smoke subsides, I guess that confirms the fact of the smoke being caused by the Injectors and not the Turbo as well...We shall see

P.S... I barely have 1500 miles on her since the last oil change, so I wasn't going to change the oil again, however I did have 1.5 qt of fresh T6 in garage. So w/that & the 16 oz of Archoil, I was able to drain 2 qt from crankcase & add in the fresh stuff. Besides it takes me forever to reach the 5k mark for an oil change (over a year).

Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm with Jack here. I don't think it's your turbo at all, I think it's injectors. As long as they're not seriously over fueling and the trucks running "OK" then give the Archoil a chance and save your $$$ for some new injectors.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I'm with Jack here. I don't think it's your turbo at all, I think it's injectors. As long as they're not seriously over fueling and the trucks running "OK" then give the Archoil a chance and save your $$$ for some new injectors.
Hey Tim,
Yeah Jack has been very convincing & made me think a lot, plus the Turbo was diagnosed as soon as it pulled in his driveway (weird). I am not saying its definitely not the Turbo, but after numerous people have said they had similar smoke with Injector issues, kinda makes u go hmmm....

As far as "running ok" yes she absolutely is. Aside from the smoke every so often (honestly rare) the only drivability issue I have is...after a cold start & its under a light acceleration, u can just feel a stutter. After it warms up a bit OR if u mash the go pedal, the issue is gone...So not bad at all

We'll just watch her a bit now....Thanks guys

Old 03-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been watching this thread for a while and waited to see where it would go. Throw the Archoil in and double up on the Diesel kleen or Stynedyne and run the snot out of it on the Hyway with a load on it to heat it up for awhile.........bet it goes away,had the problem too when I first got my truck.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:56 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I've been watching this thread for a while and waited to see where it would go. Throw the Archoil in and double up on the Diesel kleen or Stynedyne and run the snot out of it on the Hyway with a load on it to heat it up for awhile.........bet it goes away,had the problem too when I first got my truck.
Your issue was similar & u never had to take it apart ?
Thanks for the tip

Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Naa ,It cleared after a 1000 miles or so,but it also sat for 18 months at a lot and got jump started a bunch of times. I'm in the the middle of work on it now but it had nothing to do with that issue.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Hey Tim,
Yeah Jack has been very convincing & made me think a lot, plus the Turbo was diagnosed as soon as it pulled in his driveway (weird). I am not saying its definitely not the Turbo, but after numerous people have said they had similar smoke with Injector issues, kinda makes u go hmmm....

As far as "running ok" yes she absolutely is. Aside from the smoke every so often (honestly rare) the only drivability issue I have is...after a cold start & its under a light acceleration, u can just feel a stutter. After it warms up a bit OR if u mash the go pedal, the issue is gone...So not bad at all

We'll just watch her a bit now....Thanks guys
That's almost classic injector stiction IMHO. At this point I don't think you need to do any more than you've done and been advised to do until the Archoil has a chance to work for a while.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Just thought I'd post a little update....

20 days ago now I poured that Archoil AR9100 in it & I am happy to say, she has Not Smoked once (de-bunked that Turbo diagnoses) & believe it or not, I haven't been feeling that stutter feel during light acceleration, after a cold start.

I don't know if the warmer temp's are playing a role or if its strictly the Archoil, but I haven't felt her stutter & I am very happy it isn't smoking anymore.

I realize this is a Band-Aid repair & the Injector's will need to be replaced eventually, but for now that Band-Aid is working very well

Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
For some reason this seems like Déjà vu. Glad to hear it, warm weather does help.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
There ya go,now run it like ya stole after it's warmed up........Then you'll REALLY start liking that truck