Sponsored by:

Rebuilt C6...can't put into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM
jtart2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt C6...can't put into gear.

I replaced a broken pump select thrust washer in my C6 and now since re-installing I cannot get it to go into any gear. When the truck is off, I can cycle through the gears on the column, but when I start the engine I can only change the column gearing to Reverse and Neutral. Even then, the wheels won't turn, so it doesn't really go into reverse.

I cannot get it to go into any drive gear while running. I've put about 13 quarts of ATF in it so there should be enough to make it work.

The first time I re-installed it the torque converter was not situated properly and I couldn't turn the engine. This time I'm pretty sure it's on correctly because the back wheels turn, I can start the engine, and there are no funny noises coming from the tranny.

So what's the next step? Remove the valve body?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Always good to list year and engine too.

When the truck is off, I can cycle through the gears on the column, but when I start the engine I can only change the column gearing to Reverse and Neutral. Even then, the wheels won't turn, so it doesn't really go into reverse.
So when the engine is running, you physically can not move the shifter past Neutral to Drive???

The first time I re-installed it the torque converter was not situated properly and I couldn't turn the engine. This time I'm pretty sure it's on correctly because the back wheels turn, I can start the engine, and there are no funny noises coming from the tranny.
Oh that ain't soundin' good... Probably the #1 screw-up of re-installing an auto trans is to have the torque converter's flats not properly seated into the pump's flats. Or, having it seated properly, but letting the TC slide forward out of position when jockeying the trans into position.

When out of seated position, the TC will press onto the face of the pump's gerotor (the driven gear-like part that turns inside the pump), making the assembly "too long". Bolting it to the engine that way may/usually/will break the gerotor.
Not being able to rotate the engine can be a symptom of that pressure of TC out of position "too long".

Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 AM
jtart2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help, but I've figured it out. My gear shifter was not correctly attatched to the valve body.