1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Roaring noise.....not what I thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 08:12 PM
oahuobx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a roaring noise in my 2WD 2000 Expedition. It starts at about 20 mph and seems to get louder the faster I go. It sounds a lot like tire noise, so I had them balanced and rotated. This didn't help. Then someone suggested having a lube job done on the differential. That didn't work either. I have 42000 miles and it just started about 1500 miles ago while I was traveling out of town. It had never done this before. Now it seems to be getting worse each day. Some are telling me it could be bad wheel bearings or that I should have the transmission and trans axel fluid changed. There is no vibration and it sounds like it is coming from underneath the vehicle from the front back towards the area under the front seats but it is hard to pinpoint. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-15-2003, 10:56 PM
camarozz
New User

Could be just about anything; I would suggest finding a mechanic you can trust and check with them. Check around to find a reputable guy, remember the Dealer doesnt always hire the best mechanics. Ive had more bad luck with the dealer mechs than a shop that has been referred to me.
Good Luck,
Steve

Oh, PS, It kinda sounds like a bearing problem too, but with out being able to be there and check things out I couldnt be sure.

Old 08-16-2003, 01:01 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

I would try replacing the bearings and using some high quality, synthetic grease. I believe the bearings are, in a perfect world, supposed to be checked and repacked every 35,000 miles. I don't think anybody actually follows this guideline, but it could very well be what the problem is.

The tranny could make any number of noises - not to make light of your situation, but if the tranny's lunched, then you're SOL anyway, so I'd go ahead and do the bearings.

BTW- when was the last time you flushed and filled the tranny? 35,000 miles is the recommended interval. These transmissions are fairly sensitive to the fluid. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and I still change at 35,000 miles, even though I could probably go 50,000. Then again, I'm also paranoid of my truck getting sick

If you have some mechanical experience and don't mind getting dirty, the bearings aren't too tough to handle. Otherwise, any mechanic worth his salt can easily do the job in an afternoon.

Please keep us posted on your situation - I want to see what happens.

For the record, my store, National Tire & Battery, charges about $80 to repack bearings. In your case, it would work out to about $160 + parts (AFAIK, the bearings on these trucks are pressed into the rotors, so you may have to replace the rotor as well. You may be able to find single bearings, though - I haven't looked into it yet)

Good luck!

XXL

Old 08-16-2003, 07:43 AM
R1150R
New User

I replaced a fan clutch on a 92 explorer and resulted in a roar type of sound when the fan turned faster I guess. It wasn't all the time but was noticeable. If the roar sounds like its comming from under the hood, this might be a possibility.....unless the Expy has an electric fan....I don't know.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:26 AM
oahuobx
Junior User

Had the transmission fluid flushed and filled this morning. No affect on the noise. Having wheel bearings checked and repacked or replaced tomorrow morning.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:56 AM
1bigford
Junior User

I have the same problem, a mechanic said it was the trans. Said something about pressure and the clutches.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:34 AM
oahuobx
Junior User

I just jacked up the front end and there is no play in the wheels but when I spin them, there is a distinct rubbing sound and the wheels don't spin too freely. Could this be the source of the roaring? Should the wheels spin with no resistance?

Old 08-16-2003, 12:18 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

Originally posted by oahuobx
I just jacked up the front end and there is no play in the wheels but when I spin them, there is a distinct rubbing sound and the wheels don't spin too freely. Could this be the source of the roaring? Should the wheels spin with no resistance?
Quite possibly - take the wheel off and see if you have a siezed caliper or something. The fact that you can hear a distinct noise is a good thing - it means your problem isn't hiding.

Keep us posted.

XXL

Old 08-31-2003, 08:44 AM
gowings
New User

I jsut had the exact same noise/problem. I took off the wheel and caliper and pads, thinking it had to be something there and finally decide to check out the bearings, well, the outter wheel bearing came off jsut fine, but when I popped off the inner, it just feel into a million pieces. Somehow I had crunched it real good. I replaced, but still have a noise. I think it's because the race isn't as smooth as I would like, but at the moment I can not seem to punch it out. Might have to wait to get someone with a puller.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:45 AM
oahuobx
Junior User

I had my front wheel bearings replaced last week and the noise has gone away. Thanks to everyone especially BigMatt and cameroxx for your ideas and suggestions.

Old 08-31-2003, 11:06 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thumbs up Roaring noise.....not what I thought

Originally posted by oahuobx
I had my front wheel bearings replaced last week and the noise has gone away. Thanks to everyone especially BigMatt and cameroxx for your ideas and suggestions.

XXL

Old 08-31-2003, 02:59 PM
camarozz
New User

Thanks, and AMEN it wasnt any more serious.
Steve

Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 PM
1bigford
Junior User

So did I and fixed the problem