Rubber Roof Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:31 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Rubber Roof Repairs

I just picked up my '06 Jayflight on Friday. Didn't have a chance to look at the roof before I bought it as it was in a storage yard. There were no signs though inside of any leaks. I finally climbed up on the roof on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised how good it looks considering we are in the desert. I did notice three minor issues though and considering my last trailer had an aluminum roof I wanted to be sure I am approaching this correctly.

1 - The front edge where the trim is between the aluminum and the rubber roof it appears the dicor is starting to crack a bit. I was just planning on putting new dicor on this. Should I remove any of the old stuff or just put another layer on?

2 - It appears a tree might of skipped along the drivers side edge up front. Doesn't look like it penetrated all the way through, just left little cuts in the rubber. I was just planning on covering this with a strip of Eternabond which is already on order.

3 - The skylight over the shower is cracked like it was hit with something. From what I understand I should just carefully remove it. Clean the roof of old sealant best I can without damaging it, and install a new skylight with a bead of dicor (or sealant recommended by the skylight manufacturer) and then another layer on top also covering the screws. My only concern here is if I should use any chemical cleaners, I've already read that mineral spirits can damage the roof.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
denatured alcohol to clean the surfaces and then apply the dicor.

You got it.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
In regards to the skylight, you can use butyl tape between the skylight plastic and the rubber surface of the roof. Once you have the skylight secured to the trailer, use some self leveling Dicor and don't be afraid to use a lot.

The front edge, just clean it very well like Scott said, then if you think the self leveling Dicor may run a bit, you can get non-leveling Dicor for the more vertical sections. Depending on the color of the trailer, you can get matching colors if you are willing to wait a bit.

Eternabond is incredible stuff, you will see what I mean when you get it. Well worth the money.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Remove all the old Dicor you can, then put down a new bead.
Under the skylight - I agree butyl tape is good. Alternatively you can use double sided Eternabond. Of course, the new skylight will never come off.
Eternabond is great stuff, but you should regard it as a permanent sealer.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Eternabond and Dicor are 'standards of the industry'. Acetone (Eternabond's recommendation) or 90% rubbing alcohol cleanup before installing either.

That skylight - I have to say that the Lexan replacement I bought for a past RV that came from here was many times better then the original brittle acrylic piece: Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc.

Then the fact that even with shipping, the replacement was a fair number of bucks cheaper then an acrylic piece from a regular RV supply house. When they say it will ship in 15 business days, that's when it will leave their factory as it will be custom made

Old 03-02-2016, 04:51 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The skylight I'm ordering comes with SB140 sealant. Should I use that for the first bead between the roof (which is TPO) and skylight, or just use butyl tape or dicor? The one I found for around $90 is Lexan and is darkly tinted. Living in the desert I wanted to avoid anymore heat loading than necessary, especially when boondocking and not able to run the A/C.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
It's Surebond's version of butyl rubber. It'll work fine.