Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittant no start up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:30 AM
alkazoo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermittant no start up

hi forum,, would like some ideas on what i can expect (problem wise with the truck not the dealer lol) when i take my 93 F150 4x4 into the dealer this week to have them troubleshoot/repair this VERY intermittant problem im having...Its the 302 V8 by the way.
3 times in the past month,upon turning the key/ignition,,no start. no clicking ,,,nothing...accesories/windows/radio all work.. Happens at random, example: started this am, drove to gas station, shut off, started right up..went to store,,dead,when try to start..get person to jump battery, fired right up 2 weeks ago when it happened, this morning at store wouldnt start even with jump...waited 10 minutes, got one more person to jump battery,after several turn key trys, fired up. once it does start, alt gauge shows full charge,everything normal...
Starter problems? nuetral switch problems? will the dealer be able to troublshoot even though vehicle will start fine when they test it? Just lookin for some ideas and what i may be lookin at later in the week when i drop it off to them...thankyou PS. when it does(did) happen, i moved the transmission selecter thru its range to no avail...

Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM
meanmutha
New User
intermittant no start up

Check the connection at the starter. My exhaust fried mine and every so often I have to crawl under and snap it back on tight. Just a thought.

Old 08-14-2003, 02:39 PM
javieljb
Senior User
intermittant no start up

I have had a similar problem on mine. There is a small wire connected to the starter. If it's not making a good connection, it won't start. I usually hold the key to the start posistion and slam the door closed. It's a cool party trick. I need to get down there and put a new connector on it.

Old 08-14-2003, 03:17 PM
fishin1976
Elder User
intermittant no start up

Do not take it to a dealer, find a local mechanic! A dealer will overcharge you for anything they do.

Get a new battery, you may have a cracked plate in the battery that is not making connection to one of the posts. Get a new starter soleniod, this can stop power to the rest of the truck by way of corrosion. Get new cables, if needed peel back the insulation and look for green or very discolored wire underneath.

In general, look for corrosion on all connectors around battery and starter soleniod. BUT don't take it to a dealer, you will pay 65 or more for the diagnosis and then parts and labor to fix a ~$15 soleniod. Doesn't make sense does it? All of the above things anybody can do with a few common sockets and a screww driver. Take it to Autozone or advance and have them do a full starting and charging test for FREE!!!!!!! Sounding better,eh?

Save yourself some money, try the FREE and EASY stuff first. Before the dealer serviceman want to put a $300 ECM in your truck to solve a $50 battery problem. SEEN IT HAPPEN!!!!!

Keep coming back to the forums, we will stick with you until your problem is solved with a little of your time to check things as we go.

This web site just save me from getting a new reman engine which saved me over $1000. I found some one that had the same problem as me, and did what they did. I now have a very good running heathly engine, and still the original engine!

Let us help you,

Old 08-19-2003, 05:33 PM
KevVer
Junior User
intermittant no start up

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I drove the truck down to the gas station, filled it up, and it was dead when I tried to start it. Called AAA, the mechanic checked it and said the positive battery cable wasn't making a good connection. He moved it around to get it started. I replaced the cable and have not had a problem since.