Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Yes, the WDH is a given. The rear sway bar underneath the Ex is something different specific to the Ex that many people get.

I'll have to look into that sway bar. The previous owner didn't say anything about adding one, so I don't suppose there is one. Are they really a good thing to have? Any idea how much they cost?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by karrun
I'll have to look into that sway bar. The previous owner didn't say anything about adding one, so I don't suppose there is one. Are they really a good thing to have? Any idea how much they cost?

Adding a rear (anti) sway bar to an EX that didn't come with one is a very nice upgrade, makes the big wagon much more stable at speed and removes a lot of the inherent body roll these things have. While towing any considerable weight the rear bar will also help to lessen the trailer's influence on the truck in corners.
The Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar is about $200 delivered and is a fairly easy driveway installation.
Take a look at your rear axle from the front side, some lucky EXs came with factory rear bars, but most did not.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Adding a rear (anti) sway bar to an EX that didn't come with one is a very nice upgrade, makes the big wagon much more stable at speed and removes a lot of the inherent body roll these things have. While towing any considerable weight the rear bar will also help to lessen the trailer's influence on the truck in corners.
The Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar is about $200 delivered and is a fairly easy driveway installation.
Take a look at your rear axle from the front side, some lucky EXs came with factory rear bars, but most did not.

Agreed, I love my Hellwig. I was lazy and even had the shop install it while it was in for regular maintenance. I believe they charged me 2 hours to install ($150ish)

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Really makes a difference, huh? We'll add this to the list of mods then, thanks.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
+1 on the anti-sway bar.

When I first got mine, I did not like going very fast in it. It felt grossly unstable at highway speeds. I would stay in the right lane doing 60 because I just didn't trust it. After I installed the V/B codes and the Hellwig it made an absolute world of difference. I now cruise at 75+ in the left lane and feel very comfortable doing it.

It's hard to say which made a bigger difference because they were both installed at about the same time. But I can't imagine that one or the other made all the difference.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
The Hellwig makes my Ex handle almost like a sports car.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
The Hellwig makes my Ex handle almost like a sports car.
LOL, if my X can handle like a sports car I'm in.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 PM
karrun
Mountain Pass
I checked when I got home and we have a front sway bar but no rear. See picture. I believe I've seen mention of the rear sway bar here.
We haven't put many miles on her since we brought her home but both my husband and I thought there was a wander in the handling, like if you took your attention off the road for a second she was apt to wander across the lane. Will a rear sway bar help with that, or is it more for side to side roll when cornering?

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Rear sway bar (anti roll bar) is more for controlling the body's roll. It may help a little with a wandering wagon but there are other things to check and work on that should have a bigger impact on lane keeping control. First off check the tire pressures, both too low or too high can make the EX want to wander around on you. Next up have the alignment checked, there are a few recent threads that discuss what the alignment specs should be for the best control and steering feedback.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
karrun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Rear sway bar (anti roll bar) is more for controlling the body's roll. It may help a little with a wandering wagon but there are other things to check and work on that should have a bigger impact on lane keeping control. First off check the tire pressures, both too low or too high can make the EX want to wander around on you. Next up have the alignment checked, there are a few recent threads that discuss what the alignment specs should be for the best control and steering feedback.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM
noonrock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it I'll be the first to say it, the Excursion is 100% NOT a Durango. That thing although useful in some ways is like comparing a Plymouth Prowler to a Mustang Cobra, sure they can both be fast but one is just made to look fast. You're talking about going from what Dodge made to put in their line-up so they could say they made an SUV to what Ford ADDED to their already impressive SUV line-up. Ford knew/knows what their doing and you won't be disappointed
For what it's worth, I had a 2001 v10 Excursion, put 150k on it and sold it during the gas crunch 10 years ago ($6K). Loved every minute I owned it. On the interstate it's like a 30 foot motor yacht compared to a 18 foot runabout. Found a 2001 250SD extra cab with short bed and V10and 110k. When I saw the Triton on it, I went for it. Now I'm happy again, and with the convenience of a PU. Preferred a quad cab but they were rare, even beyond the v10. I wouldn't worry about the engine, run Mobil 1 or equivalent, use 88 or higher octane, and have a ACE mechanic change the plugs if you ever have to have them replaced. For pulling they'll knock a 6.0 diesel over and much less pricey. Go for it. But then if it fails what am I out?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:57 PM
noonrock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
You came to the wrong place to be talked out of it I'll be the first to say it, the Excursion is 100% NOT a Durango. That thing although useful in some ways is like comparing a Plymouth Prowler to a Mustang Cobra, sure they can both be fast but one is just made to look fast. You're talking about going from what Dodge made to put in their line-up so they could say they made an SUV to what Ford ADDED to their already impressive SUV line-up. Ford knew/knows what their doing and you won't be disappointed
For what it's worth, I had a 2001 v10 Excursion, put 150k on it and sold it during the gas crunch 10 years ago ($6K). Loved every minute I owned it. On the interstate it's like a 30 foot motor yacht compared to a 18 foot runabout. Used it to pull a 28 foot Reinell to Lake Mead and Lake Powell with no trouble. Found a 2001 250SD extra cab with short bed and V10and 110k. When I saw the Triton on it, I went for it. Now I'm happy again, and with the convenience of a PU. Preferred a quad cab but they were rare, even beyond the v10. I wouldn't worry about the engine, run Mobil 1 or equivalent, use 88 or higher octane, and have a ACE mechanic change the plugs if you ever have to have them replaced. For pulling they'll knock a 6.0 diesel over and much less pricey. Go for it. But then if it fails what am I out?

Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM
gapman789
Tuned
Great thread...I've been looking at/for Excursions for a while now, but am serious about buying ASAP.

I'm on the fence about 2wd or 4wd. I'll be towing a '12 enclosed, single axle trailer with motorcycles in it, about 3000 lbs. But, i will be upgrading to '14 enclosed cargo trailer with dual axles sooner than later.

The X will only see maybe 5-6k miles a year. For trips to the racetracks a few times a year.

Definitely want the V10, but i have seen some low mileage 5.4's out there.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM
youknowitdadio
Mountain Pass
DO IT

I'm on my second one. Hands down the best vehicle anywhere. You cant beat the F250 platform. My V10 has 212k and still going no issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gapman789
Great thread...I've been looking at/for Excursions for a while now, but am serious about buying ASAP.

I'm on the fence about 2wd or 4wd. I'll be towing a '12 enclosed, single axle trailer with motorcycles in it, about 3000 lbs. But, i will be upgrading to '14 enclosed cargo trailer with dual axles sooner than later.

The X will only see maybe 5-6k miles a year. For trips to the racetracks a few times a year.

Definitely want the V10, but i have seen some low mileage 5.4's out there.
Get the V10 with the 4WD!!!

Better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

Quick Reply: Considering an Excursion-Talk me in/out of it?