1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 f6 12v conversion, cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea, as I hook them up per the electrical schematic, I'll add fuses, etc. as needed. Thanx.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope this may clarify things. You want to be careful about adding fuses where there weren't any previously as they could add unnecessary resistance, or cause a critical circuit to open.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
well, mine was connected the same. The shrink tube was covering a connector extending the wire (I cut it too short (off) so had to add more ). My ground to the cluster was undersized but worked as it as readings coming in to all points showed solid 12V, etc.
#4, stop light wire on it, then another for testing lights
#1, there is a heavy red wire wrapping through batt gauge providing power.

what is weird, the voltage reducer didn't start working until I separated the grounds, i.e. unhook from cluster and run #5 ground off to another ground spot??

weird. Will check more tonight if rain holds out. Thanx!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by chrislynn5
My ground to the cluster was undersized but worked as it as readings coming in to all points showed solid 12V, etc.
#4, stop light wire on it, then another for testing lights
OK.

#1, there is a heavy red wire wrapping through batt gauge providing power.
Your alternator output wire must connect to that stud also. Where is it going now?

What is weird, the voltage reducer didn't start working until I separated the grounds, i.e. unhook from cluster and run #5 ground off to another ground spot??
Clearly you have grounding issues.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixer man
What's that supposed to mean?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
His reply was in the quoted section, but you have to have 10 digits to be able to Post.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
#1, I was instructed to run that wire (single wire alternator) directly to battery (as per mfg instructions).
Ground issues? That's odd. voltage check out on everything but the gauges and voltage reducer. I even took all the gauges out and cleaned all contacts. If I touch the cluster mount hole that the black wire runs to from the chassis, I can touch all the other connections and get good readings...
My ground is on the engine (main battery wire), and the smaller one directly to frame.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
#1, I was instructed to run that wire (single wire alternator) directly to battery (as per mfg instructions).
That will work, but your ammeter will constantly show discharge. Unless you run the wire from the alternator to the same post as the BAT wire, you won't see NET charging/discharging.

My ground is on the engine (main battery wire), and the smaller one directly to frame.
What smaller wire, one on the battery cable? The cab is isolated from the frame by rubber doughnuts. A ground can get to the cab thru other connections, but you should run from the battery ground to the cab and frame directly.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:26 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
on the neg (-) battery lead there was the main and a smaller one. Main hooks to engine, smaller to frame.

So are you saying I need on in the cab now? I touch the walls inside the cab and have ground? But will check. Thanx.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
For the statement about the alternator battery cable, if I hook to the same point (Starter relay), that would be a voltage issue (too much). I'm not using a voltage regulator since I've read it's not needed, single wire alternator. Thanx.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Connecting to the circuit breaker stud as indicated will provide the same electrical path as connecting to the battery, except that your ammeter will work. Just like Ross said.

Ground issues? That's odd. voltage check out on everything but the gauges and voltage reducer. I even took all the gauges out and cleaned all contacts. If I touch the cluster mount hole that the black wire runs to from the chassis, I can touch all the other connections and get good readings...
The ground wire between the engine and battery should be of the same gauge. The ground wire between the engine/battery and chassis should be a minimum of 4 gauge. The ground wire between the chassis and cab should be a minimum of 6 gauge. Remember that these ground wires carry the cumulative return path current for everything.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:57 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
#1, I've always read to connect it directly to starter relay or to battery (mfg instructions). You're suggesting going to the cluster circuit breaker?

Ground issue: ok, makes sense but those gauges are quite large. I will need to go buy some ground cables at my local auto parts store. But power isn't that large, the return off the alternator isn't much more than 10-12 gauge I think.

do I still need a ground cable going to cab, and if so where to connect?

Thanx!

Old 03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
How many amps is your alternator rated for? Usually a minimum of 65 amps, as high as 100. For that you want a #8 wire. For best results you should run a same-sized wire from the body of the alternator to a good ground (there is usually a threaded hole on the alternator body for this purpose).

If you have minimal accessories, your grounds to the frame can be a #12, with same to the cab. I think MixerMan is thinking in terms of 6V? You can ground the cab at the bolt hole where the voltage regulator used to mount.

Like has been pointed out, you can connect the alternator output to the starter solenoid or the battery itself, it will work fine, but your ammeter will only show the current being used, i.e., a constant discharge.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Great, thanx for the advice and tips everyone. As for the wire, I was using the wire that came with the alternator, I believe it's 10 gauge. And they suggested no ground wire unless no ground contact could be made. I believe it has a pretty solid ground off the engine, but I'll validate that.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 AM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Well I have all the new gauges in and well grounded. My oil pressure gauge now only goes to 15-20, and my temp gauge after starting goes to high/hot almost immediately.
The previous gauges for oil was in the middle at 30, and the temp gauge stayed right of center.
Ideas???

Quick Reply: 1948 f6 12v conversion, cluster question