2002 Escape radio really isn't Double-DIN...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 06:53 PM
WB4IUY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Escape radio really isn't Double-DIN...

This is probably nothing new to some of you, but after reading a zillion messages here, I couldn't find anything about converting it. The hole in the dash has to be opened up with a dremel tool or saw, and the std double-DIN brackets don't work.

I cut the hole out in the sub-dash to accept the new double-DIN radio, and picked up some light weight 1" aluminum angle at the hdwr store today to build some "L" brackets to bolt to the sides of the new radio and allow it to be screwed to the sub-dash. I was able to fit the plastic slider from the back of the factory radio to the new double-DIN radio I'm installing, so the rear of the radio is stabilized by the factory bracket.

I'll upload some pics of this hack, once it's all working. From what I can see, it looks like there used to be some sort of adapter or installation kits for the early Escapes, but they all seem to be out of production now.

Dave

Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by WB4IUY
This is probably nothing new to some of you, but after reading a zillion messages here, I couldn't find anything about converting it. The hole in the dash has to be opened up with a dremel tool or saw, and the std double-DIN brackets don't work.

I cut the hole out in the sub-dash to accept the new double-DIN radio, and picked up some light weight 1" aluminum angle at the hdwr store today to build some "L" brackets to bolt to the sides of the new radio and allow it to be screwed to the sub-dash. I was able to fit the plastic slider from the back of the factory radio to the new double-DIN radio I'm installing, so the rear of the radio is stabilized by the factory bracket.

I'll upload some pics of this hack, once it's all working. From what I can see, it looks like there used to be some sort of adapter or installation kits for the early Escapes, but they all seem to be out of production now.

Dave
Here's one. Ford ESCAPE 02 2002 Car Radio Double Din Dash Kit for new Stereo

Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM
WB4IUY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I've already laid the dremel tool to the sub-dash. I wonder what the divider int he middle of the piece is in the double-DIN adapter in the link you sent? My radio is the size off both holes together,m without the center divider.

Oh well, thanks anyway, maybe that'll help someone else with an early Escape trying to do what I'm doing.

Dave

Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by WB4IUY
Thanks, I've already laid the dremel tool to the sub-dash. I wonder what the divider int he middle of the piece is in the double-DIN adapter in the link you sent? My radio is the size off both holes together,m without the center divider.

Oh well, thanks anyway, maybe that'll help someone else with an early Escape trying to do what I'm doing.

Dave
The divider is so you can either mount two single DIN's (i.e. deck and equalizer) or if you cut the divider out, and mount one double DIN deck.