Computer Chips & Tuners  

Low idle after Superchips programming

Old 02-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low idle after Superchips programming

Hi all. Been a while. I have a problem. I decided to buy a Superchips flashpaq for my 05 F250 6.8 V10. I've had the truck for 9 years and it has had zero problems, I just finally decided to throw a tuner on it for fun. Heck, it still has the factory battery in it! Only 61k miles.

At any rate, I put the performance tune on it and took it for a quick spin about a half mile. Ran great and I was very happy with the performance increase. Problem is it died going into my garage. It then died 3 or 4 more times pulling into the garage. I freaked out and put the stock tune back in and nothing changed. Runs just fine driving, but the idle is low - approximately 450 RPM based on the tach. If I turn the wheels all the way I can cause it to die every time. Idle is smooth, just too low and I can't rev it up when in park or neutral. Do I have a problem here caused from the tuning or does it just need to relearn or something. Please let me know if you've heard anything like this before.

I'm worried it smoked my computer or something. No codes because the tune cleared them and no engine light. I took it out again after letting it sit for a couple hours and drove for about 15 min with no stalls, but when I pulled back into the garage, she died again about a half dozen times.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:15 PM
16F350
Freshman User
I am no super chips expert, but I have tuned with several other options on the market. Did you have any options during the process to adjust idle, timing or any other parameters ? Typically with that type of tuner options are very limited. I did use them for my Jeep and I had no issues. read the codes again even if there is no light, there may be a code pending that has not set the light yet. Look for any IAC issues. (idle air control )

Old 02-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Primetime1
Senior User
OK here's an update. Problem is persisting. It does idle up on a cold start, but as it warms up, the idle drops and drops until it will stall out. I can keep it running by keeping my foot on the gas while I stop or turn to keep the idle up. The engine light came on today and threw a P0506 code for idle too low. I just used the canned performance tune and upped the speed limiter. If I put the truck in park or neutral and try to step on the gas I get no response and the truck will die when I let off.

I did clean the K&N drop in filter and MAF last night just for the heck of it. I'm thinking about cleaning the throttle body tomorrow in case it is a crud buildup thing the computer has to relearn for the idle.

Hoping someone has some ideas.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Primetime1
Senior User
All right folks. I'm very happy to report that I pulled off the throttle body and cleaned it good. Problem solved. It runs just like it should now! Easy $5 fix!!!!