1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Electric fuel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used both so here are my thoughts.

Bar None diesel makes some fine products and reviews on the E-Fuel system are good. One thing that kind of turned me off on them is they would not send me the installation instructions before hand so I could visualize the installation. After purchasing they e-mail you the instructions. In comparison the Strictly Diesel instructions are available on their site for download so you know what your are getting into, before purchase, and they are very good.

The Bar None installation went pretty easy and the instructions were well written. Once installed I had a few issues with leaks in areas that should not leak such as fittings to the regulator, maybe China knockoffs, don't know but had to use thread sealant. I thought I had leaks at the banjo bolt area so I was attempting to tighten it and the holding wrench slipped. This caused the entire banjo assembly to turn which torqued those two small lines that go to the rear heads and pinched the drivers side one at the head connector. It was still running OK but I was sure pissed off at myself. Also I did not like the fuel lines, supply and return, cluttering up the valley and the regulator bracket was kind of flimsy, IMO and bent easily.

Once I got my head out of my a$$ I decided I had made a mistake and ordered the Strictly Diesel fuel bowl delete kit only. I'm glad I did as the quality of everything was top notch, should of ordered the entire kit in the first place. I ended keeping the Bar None (pre -post) filter and pump assembly and IMO is OK, never had an issue with it. Also using the Bar None electrical wiring which I've never had an issue with.

Strictly diesel you need to remove the turbo, took me only 1.5 days to accomplish that task. The Air conditioner/ PS bracket needs to be moved sideways to access the fuel lines because all new lines are with the kit. Also the alternator needs to be removed to access the front passenger port.

All in all I've spent way more than if I had just bit the bullet and ordered the entire Strictly diesel kit. Bar None kit with a buddy you probably can do the entire thing in 1 day. If you go with Strictly Diesel with a buddy, once the turbo is off a, few days, took me a week by myself, but I work slow.

It's all about if you want to deal removing the turbo or not, I did not, but ended up doing it anyway. Both kits work great, just your preference on how you want it to look, how long you want to keep the truck ...

Either kit is way better than stock.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:57 PM
BradSmith-7.3L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Hussler, that is very informative. I'll probably go with the strictly diesel kit, and get some bellowed up pipes and maybe a wicked wheel and upgrade all that at once.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:44 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't know that the Strictly Diesel kit also includes the front fuel lines. I didn't replace mine when I did my more or less DIY efuel and one of them started leaking shortly thereafter. It isn't too much of a problem to get the alternator and AC pump out of the way. My DIY kit took forever to plan out and install and unless you're an incorrigible hobbyist, if your time is worth anything the Strictly Diesel kit is probably worth the money.

Removing the turbo is a project but once you've done it once and collected the right tools it should go a lot better if you need to do it again.

I've only had my truck for two years but it's great to look at the valley and find it completely dry and with no drips at all at the flywheel inspection cover drain hole either. Some guys report better fuel mileage and a better running engine with efuel. I don't think my mileage has noticeably increased or that the engine runs any better. One of the advantages is that now it will be real easy to replace the fuel pump if it fails on a trip. Not the case with the original mechanical pump.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 AM
1bigjoe
Senior User
to fix the leak----$1---- for some fuel line--is todays--economic lesson--class

Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 AM
kegomatix
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1bigjoe
to fix the leak----$1---- for some fuel line--is todays--economic lesson--class
Wish it had been that easy for me. Just did all of this yesterday and it was my fuel pump that was leaking.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
What is the benefit of the electric pump? Im not sure what it does? Is this a fuel pump to replace a mechanical pump? There are filters added to this kit ? di they replace other filters or just additional filters? Sorry I'm a noob to this.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM
95OBS
New User
I also have a leak in the valley somewhere, not a large one but seeing a pool of green down there agitates me. I dont think I want to spend the money on efuel but was wondering if anyone knows of a good rebuild kit for the stock fuel bowl. Recommendations on fuel line for those short lil b&stards between the bowl and pump? Thanks fellas

Old 02-28-2016, 09:29 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
The bar non kit says it is a fuel bowl delete kit. is it not ? or not the same as the Strictly Diesel kit?

Old 02-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcali2
The bar non kit says it is a fuel bowl delete kit. is it not ? or not the same as the Strictly Diesel kit?
They both do the same thing but they are not equal.

Bar None system uses the original fuel lines including the Banjo y-splitter back to the rear heads and also uses the original front fuel lines from front of heads. It eliminates the fuel bowl, mechanical pump and has the pre-post filters with electric pump mounted on frame. It also comes with a wiring harness.

Strictly diesel supplies larger fuel lines, supplies fuel to the front of the heads with new lines, return fuel is now at rear of heads with new lines and overall layout is much cleaner IMO. It also eliminates the fuel bowl, mechanical pump and has the pre-post filters with electric pump mounted on frame. They also have a better pump wiring harness IMO.

Strictly diesel sells two different version.

1. Fuel bowl delete only. You need to provide the filters, pump and wiring harness.

2. Entire system which includes everything needed, but takes longer to install then Bar None.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:22 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hussler
They both do the same thing but they are not equal.

Bar None system uses the original fuel lines including the Banjo y-splitter back to the rear heads and also uses the original front fuel lines from front of heads. It eliminates the fuel bowl, mechanical pump and has the pre-post filters with electric pump mounted on frame. It also comes with a wiring harness.

Strictly diesel supplies larger fuel lines, supplies fuel to the front of the heads with new lines, return fuel is now at rear of heads with new lines and overall layout is much cleaner IMO. It also eliminates the fuel bowl, mechanical pump and has the pre-post filters with electric pump mounted on frame. They also have a better pump wiring harness IMO.

Strictly diesel sells two different version.

1. Fuel bowl delete only. You need to provide the filters, pump and wiring harness.

2. Entire system which includes everything needed, but takes longer to install then Bar None.
Thank you
That clears up a lot. That seems worth the extra 200.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:06 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Isn't there a different fuel pump used in the simply diesel kit? I know the bar none uses the Bosch 044, and that the simply diesel uses a stock SD fuel pump.