Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 XLT 4x4 Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 AM
douglcfl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 XLT 4x4 Project

I am new to the site and love what I see so far. Just recently started a restore of a 95 F150 4x4. Since bringing her home I have removed the bed, sandblasted and painted the frame, all new springs and shocks, and am now removing the motor and replacing the body mount bushings. I have also started replacing two of the rusted out bed supports and will be cleaning and undercoating the bed. Pulling the old worn out motor this weekend and will begin cleaning up the engine bay. Plan on completely stripping it, sandblasting and repainting. Already removed the bumper, grill, radiator and radiator support. Will be replacing the radiator support and putting in a new all aluminum 3 row radiator.

Here is my question, hoping some of you can steer me in the right direction. I was planning a rebuild of the motor that has over 240,000 miles on it. However I just inherited a late 60's era Mustang motor that was professionally rebuilt. I am planning to sell the Edellbrock Performer 289 intake that came with the motor and useing my EFI setup. I know I will probably have to replace the oil pan as the one on the motor is the double sump. I don't have specs on the motor other than it is bored .30 over, 10 to 1 compression, Comp 1.6.1 Roller Cam, (don't know the lift and duration but was told it was relatively mild but greater than stock). I am prepared to swap out the cam if needed. My truck has the AOD transmission.

What issues am I likely to run into if I use this motor? Will she work with my transmission, flywheel, torque converter?

Would you recommend bigger injectors to feed it? I believe I will have to change the firing order, haven't purchased a distributor yet but have new MSD Street Fire coil, MSD cap and rotor and Ford Racing 9 MM wires.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Need to know the cam specs to be sure, otherwise it's a "see if it runs" deal....but assuming you have mass air it is as easy as a tune.

What heads are on it?

That engine is pretty, but if it were mine, I'd build a stroker out of the old engine with a roller cam. It's certainly possible the Ole 302 is roller but it'd be a retrofit.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 AM
douglcfl
New User
I am trying to contact the builder to get specs. It does have a roller cam. I was originally looking at a rebuild on mine but this was almost given to me and I am on a budget so I want to make this one work. I do have mass air.

I will post the specs as soon as I get them.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
It'll work fine then. You'll need to just make sure you use everything off the efi engine; accessories, timing cover/water pump, etc.

The head and cam specs will allow me, or others, to recommend any changes if needed. Car engines are no good in street trucks.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its a pre 82 block , don't bother, no dipstick hole in the block, 2 piece rear main, non roller, and in mimicking what 89f2furd said, you don't now what cam it is and I would never run a car spec cam in a truck, the power band isn't there

Old 02-27-2016, 02:19 PM
douglcfl
New User
I checked and it does have the dipstick hole in the block and I know it is a roller just don't have the cam specs; lift, duration, etc. But as I said in my original post I am willing to swap the cam out if it turns out to be wrong for the truck. I pulled the old block today and removed all of my accessories; timing cover, water pump, etc. I will be cleaning every thing up this week and testing to make sure everything bolts up to the new engine.

I'll post the cam specs as soon as I get them. Thanks for all the input.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
douglcfl
New User
Well I took some time tonight to compare the new engine and the block that came out of my truck and I was mistaken about the dipstick hole. It isn't there in the new engine. I have to change the oil pan anyway so any reason I can't get one of the oil pans that have the pickup and the dipstick in the pan?

Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
personally I think your going backwards, with that particular engine. but yes you can use a pan that is set up with a dipstick in the side of the block.,

Old 02-28-2016, 08:06 PM
douglcfl
New User
Originally Posted by jk89cat
personally I think your going backwards, with that particular engine.,
Well I may be but that's why I am hear asking questions. if this motor can be adapted to my truck relatively easily without a great deal of cost then I will save quite a bit. I am looking for reliability, reasonably good performance, and trying not to break the bank. The pan with the dipstick seems like a pretty simple solution that doesn't cost that much.

So far it looks like the only significant issue with the motor will be whether or not the cam is right for my application. I'll know the specs in a day or so.

Any other potential issues I should look for?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:07 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
your going to need your front cover, you need to make sure the bolt holes in the heads will accept your brackets you need to use the studs off your front cover, if you can get a pan with a dipstick your ok, but the cam profile is definitely a concern, the non roller is what really hurts you, but you can get a decent cam profile for that

Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...-SUMP-OIL-PAN/ if you look it has the side mount for the dipstick and lists all need parts ,

Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 PM
44vulcan
Junior User
personally I think your going backwards, with that particular engine. but yes you can use a pan that is set up with a dipstick in the side of the block.,
Oh boy. ^the Critic^
Haha I'm just messin' with ya

Old 02-28-2016, 11:24 PM
44vulcan
Junior User
Originally Posted by douglcfl
Well I may be but that's why I am hear asking questions. if this motor can be adapted to my truck relatively easily without a great deal of cost then I will save quite a bit. I am looking for reliability, reasonably good performance, and trying not to break the bank. The pan with the dipstick seems like a pretty simple solution that doesn't cost that much.

So far it looks like the only significant issue with the motor will be whether or not the cam is right for my application. I'll know the specs in a day or so.

Any other potential issues I should look for?
Do a 460 swap with a 545ci stroke (or maybe 600ci ?). You'll be roasting tires everywhere you go.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:40 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 44vulcan
Oh boy. ^the Critic^
Haha I'm just messin' with ya

lol its ok, I have played with so many of these engines and combinations, the fact he has a fully rebuilt engine is the issue at hand to use what he has, the roller blocks are far superior to the old 2 piece rear main blocks and the roller cam make its so much better for cam choices and longevity with our current oils

Old 02-29-2016, 09:22 AM
douglcfl
New User
lol its ok, I have played with so many of these engines and combinations, the fact he has a fully rebuilt engine is the issue at hand to use what he has, the roller blocks are far superior to the old 2 piece rear main blocks and the roller cam make its so much better for cam choices and longevity with our current oils
I will be checking the fit of the brackets tonight. One thing though I was told that the new motor does have a roller cam. I've attached a pick of the rocker arms. Excuse my ignorance but could a roller cam be installed in an older non roller block?

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1995 XLT 4x4 Project