Lets see those slide-ins !

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:38 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Sweet rig CG. I owned a few OBS rigs and my son owns a nice 97.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 AM
Fishing Wholesalers
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all and thanks for the thread. Mine is a 2005 XLT with rear airbags and 4 link. Just purchased a Trailblazers 11' Side on. Having some weight issues at the moment as with the steel tray and rock sliders/steps and bull bar, I'm at 3900GVM. Looking into upgrading suspension and airbags to get it to 5000GVM.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That's a good looking slide in.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:07 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Big to smaller

I've had a Lance 915 4 season slide in forever...Way to heavy and too tall for off roading (I have to 4 wheel into my property in Northern Michigan all the time, ford 2 streams and deal with some off camber stuff...and the Lance can't cut it so early this year I purchased a new SS1500 Palomino Backpack electric lift top. Full head and shower, everything but ac (who needs ac when the entire top is screened anyway?)

What a nice slide i n and I don't even notice it on my 1997 F350 OBS 7.3 crew cab.

I'm heading up in 2 weeks to my property 3rd time this year. I'll do some pictures and post them for everyone to check out.

Selling the Lance, I'm sold on the lower CG and the lower clearance. I'm getting just under 20 mpg with the camper in.

A grand takes the Lance. It's taking up too much room.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Have any of you guys checked out the Rayzr by Travel Lite? http://rayzrcamper.com

I really like the FK, which is the Full Kitchen model.

This camper really speaks to me and what I would use it for. And, for around $10k, it seems to be a pretty good value.

What do you slide in guys think?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Have any of you guys checked out the Rayzr by Travel Lite? Rayzr Camper - Half-Ton Ready Truck Campers

I really like the FK, which is the Full Kitchen model.

This camper really speaks to me and what I would use it for. And, for around $10k, it seems to be a pretty good value.

What do you slide in guys think?
For a grand more you can get a Palomino with an over the cab queen sized bed.

When I picked up the Palomino they had the Razyr's on the lot and I looked in one. IMO, not much room inside and room is always at a premium in any truck camper even with slideouts. Not much fresh water capacity either. You use a lot of fresh water washing dishes and washing yourself and the refrig is tiny too.

Might be fine for a weekend for one but for 2, you'd better be real good friends.

Everything is an option too. One reason I bought the Palomino. The only option is roof ac and electric jacks and I need neither, My Dewalt cordless drill and the jack adapter (comes with the unit, cranks it up and down with ease.

because it's a hard side the Cg will be higher and it's the Cg you feel in the wind and when driving off camber as in off road.

No head either. I have to have a marine head and shower for my wife. Myself, I can use TP in the woods. She cannot. All the Palomino Backpacks come standard with an outside shower so long as the model has a Hot water heater.

My SS1500 is top of the line and it was 12 OTD tax, title and prep.

I'll sell you my Lance for a grand. It has everything including outside awning, roof ac. microwave, 4 burner stove with oven 3 way frig, 2 way HWH, queen sized bed convertible dinette, extra bunk and full winter package with heated tanks and double pane windows..... and a kick butt stereo I never listened to.

You'll need a heavy 3/4 ton long bed or a 1 ton long bed SRW truck though.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Here's our slide in. Note the awesome tape job at the rear. We plan on fixing it right someday, but not until our other camper is done.

This was camping in a pasture next to the Cabbage Patch Bar during bike week. Always have a blast there.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
My new Palomino SS1500 on my 1997 F350 OBS. Excuse the front rim, I'm pulling the wheels, stripping them and polishing them a PITA but a necessary evil with the clearcoat.

Shore powered in the side yard. I keep it plugged in and on the truck (unless I need the truck for something else) all summer.

The Lance is for sale, a grand takes it.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
No rust anywhere btw. Never any rust probably because it sleeps all winter in the garage......lol

Full Banks kit, suspension flip, 6 over stock, 67K original miles, air bags and no, it's not for sale. I cannot afford a new one, I'm retired sort of.

The Lance comes with the tie down kit (HappyJack) but no truck attachments.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
No rust anywhere btw. Never any rust probably because it sleeps all winter in the garage......lol

Full Banks kit, suspension flip, 6 over stock, 67K original miles, air bags and no, it's not for sale. I cannot afford a new one, I'm retired sort of.

The Lance comes with the tie down kit (HappyJack) but no truck attachments.
If you were closer I would surely take the Lance of your hands.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
For a grand more you can get a Palomino with an over the cab queen sized bed.

When I picked up the Palomino they had the Razyr's on the lot and I looked in one. IMO, not much room inside and room is always at a premium in any truck camper even with slideouts. Not much fresh water capacity either. You use a lot of fresh water washing dishes and washing yourself and the refrig is tiny too.

Might be fine for a weekend for one but for 2, you'd better be real good friends.

Everything is an option too. One reason I bought the Palomino. The only option is roof ac and electric jacks and I need neither, My Dewalt cordless drill and the jack adapter (comes with the unit, cranks it up and down with ease.

because it's a hard side the Cg will be higher and it's the Cg you feel in the wind and when driving off camber as in off road.

No head either. I have to have a marine head and shower for my wife. Myself, I can use TP in the woods. She cannot. All the Palomino Backpacks come standard with an outside shower so long as the model has a Hot water heater.

My SS1500 is top of the line and it was 12 OTD tax, title and prep.

I'll sell you my Lance for a grand. It has everything including outside awning, roof ac. microwave, 4 burner stove with oven 3 way frig, 2 way HWH, queen sized bed convertible dinette, extra bunk and full winter package with heated tanks and double pane windows..... and a kick butt stereo I never listened to.

You'll need a heavy 3/4 ton long bed or a 1 ton long bed SRW truck though.
Thanks for your feedback! How is that vinyl/canvas siding during the winter or colder months? I see two sides to the pop up truck campers like the Palomino. One, I really like the lower center of gravity for more "true" boondocking but the other side of that is the wear and tear on the canvas parts as well as insulation factor during colder months. I hunt a lot and would be using one during pretty cold parts of the year. I have dealt with pop up bumper pull campers and am just not sure I want to deal with that again.
One thing that intrigued me about the Rayzr is the fact that it is only 1000 pounds and while the center of gravity would be a little higher, it still seems like it would not be a problem. They do have a shower hook up on the outside and while they don't have a built in head, they do have the portable one if needed. This would not be something my wife and I would stay in for a week, maybe a weekend and that would be it.
It would be more for me going out hunting it in and having a nice place to stay and get in out of weather etc. It is also nice I can use my regular hitch and not an extension to pull my ATV trailer.
I would like to see one close up and will try to do that some time soon. I don't know, they are just something that caught my eye as something very different in the market place that I do think fills a gap in the market between a truck camper and a camper shell.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:39 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by WyoBull
Thanks for your feedback! How is that vinyl/canvas siding during the winter or colder months? I see two sides to the pop up truck campers like the Palomino. One, I really like the lower center of gravity for more "true" boondocking but the other side of that is the wear and tear on the canvas parts as well as insulation factor during colder months. I hunt a lot and would be using one during pretty cold parts of the year. I have dealt with pop up bumper pull campers and am just not sure I want to deal with that again.
One thing that intrigued me about the Rayzr is the fact that it is only 1000 pounds and while the center of gravity would be a little higher, it still seems like it would not be a problem. They do have a shower hook up on the outside and while they don't have a built in head, they do have the portable one if needed. This would not be something my wife and I would stay in for a week, maybe a weekend and that would be it.
It would be more for me going out hunting it in and having a nice place to stay and get in out of weather etc. It is also nice I can use my regular hitch and not an extension to pull my ATV trailer.
I would like to see one close up and will try to do that some time soon. I don't know, they are just something that caught my eye as something very different in the market place that I do think fills a gap in the market between a truck camper and a camper shell.
I hunt as well. When it's real cold like extended season, I motel it anyway. Hard to beat clean sheets and a continental breakfast late winter snow hunts really demand a warm room and a place to dry hunting clothes.

The Palomino has a 30K btu furnace in it and the hard roof is insulated. I don't anticipate any issues with fall and early winter hunts at all and I can pull my trailers no issue with the standard class 5 receiver hitch, no extension needed. The roof up and down is electric, no cranking needed. The old ones you cranked, not the new ones.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
for an extra 500 bucks, I'll include a Yamaha 2600 I Inverter generator with the Lance that runs everything including the roof air.

The 2800 I is to big for the Palomino so I'm selling it too.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
I hunt as well. When it's real cold like extended season, I motel it anyway. Hard to beat clean sheets and a continental breakfast late winter snow hunts really demand a warm room and a place to dry hunting clothes.

The Palomino has a 30K btu furnace in it and the hard roof is insulated. I don't anticipate any issues with fall and early winter hunts at all and I can pull my trailers no issue with the standard class 5 receiver hitch, no extension needed. The roof up and down is electric, no cranking needed. The old ones you cranked, not the new ones.
Thanks for the good feedback!

Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
The ONLY reason I got the big one..SS1500 is, my wife insisted on a toilet/shower. The Backpack series comes in many configurations from a super short bed (import truck) to an 8 foot box model.

I would have opted for the shorter one that fits flush with the bed end and it also fits the 6 and 6.5 foot bed and it has everything but the toilet / shower combo. All if them have (I think) DSI water heaters and outside showers. The 1500 also has twin 20 pound propane tanks the others have one.

So far, 3 trips to the boonies it's worked very well. It's easy to set up (raise the roof, push botton) and stow everything when packing up. The one thing I may modify is I may add access doors to the inner sides, the Lance has them and it's nice to access the space in the bed between the camper and the box sides. Great place to stow a chainsaw and odds and ends like folding chairs.

Quick Reply: Lets see those slide-ins !