Semi with historic/vintage tags in PA

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Semi with historic/vintage tags in PA

I am in the middle of buying a 1986 Ford LTL 9000

I plan on just bob tailing the first couple years but Then I want to buy a trailer to haul my historic/vintage show trucks to and from show and events.

According to PA's laws I can use it as such as long as I am not using it commercially, more than one day a week or as long as it is for events and such.

Am I reading that correctly?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What does your insurance agent say? I bet they have an opinion, and it would be pretty important too, if say the brakes failed and you took out a bus full of nuns, and then that took out a bridge, then that fell on a railroad car full of hazardous Nuclear Waste from Hanford, etc. Jus' Sayin'

Old 02-24-2016, 04:38 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tedster9
What does your insurance agent say? I bet they have an opinion, and it would be pretty important too, if say the brakes failed and you took out a bus full of nuns, and then that took out a bridge, then that fell on a railroad car full of hazardous Nuclear Waste from Hanford, etc. Jus' Sayin'
They asked how the truck would be used and I said exactly what my original post says. They have no problem with it. But as far as the registration goes......

Old 02-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I have been doing just that for over 30 years. Perfectly legal. Some jurisdictions may think you need a CDL, (you don't). I happen to have a CDL. You do not need a DOT# if not in commerce. You are also exempt from Federal Motor Carrier regs. For insurance, Check out Gulfway, as well as others.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:15 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Might check into the state regs On this.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Tomc750
I have been doing just that for over 30 years. Perfectly legal. Some jurisdictions may think you need a CDL, (you don't). I happen to have a CDL. You do not need a DOT# if not in commerce. You are also exempt from Federal Motor Carrier regs. For insurance, Check out Gulfway, as well as others.

I have an A so that is no biggie to me. You appear to be in NY so it may be a little different. Gulfwayis who I have for insurance.

Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Might check into the state regs On this.

I did ......

PURPOSE
This fact sheet outlines the policy for issuance of antique, classic and vintage registration plates.
DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.
Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance.
Vintage Registration Plates - A vintage registration plate is a “period-issued” registration plate from 1906 to 1976 to be displayed on an antique or classic vehicle with the same corresponding year of manufacture. Vintage registration plates are not manufactured or issued by PennDOT. Applicants are required to provide the vintage registration plate they wish to display on their antique or classic vehicle.
USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as one day a week.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I run around OH, PA, IN, MI with my historically plated Mack, pulling a 40ft trailer. Never much mind is given to me. I have a Class A also.

Ohio says I can only be "going to a show or club function or getting it repaired". Well, mostly I'm going to a drag race but who is to say. Been doing it for 15 yrs now. I have a couple hot rods with hist tags and I drive them whenever I want. I don't make a habit of driving them to work everyday but I don't concern myself.

Check with Gulfway, as some carriers are getting very picky on what you can do with a truck. Sometimes they won't allow trailers! Even if you own it and what is in it. I have State Farm for the truck, but Hagerty for trailer. Specialty coverage for race car and trailer.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Freightrain
I run around OH, PA, IN, MI with my historically plated Mack, pulling a 40ft trailer. Never much mind is given to me. I have a Class A also.

Ohio says I can only be "going to a show or club function or getting it repaired". Well, mostly I'm going to a drag race but who is to say. Been doing it for 15 yrs now. I have a couple hot rods with hist tags and I drive them whenever I want. I don't make a habit of driving them to work everyday but I don't concern myself.

Check with Gulfway, as some carriers are getting very picky on what you can do with a truck. Sometimes they won't allow trailers! Even if you own it and what is in it. I have State Farm for the truck, but Hagerty for trailer. Specialty coverage for race car and trailer.
Gulfweed doesnt care how I use the truck as long as it is not commercially

Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

That's good. Seems lots of guys on the antique truck board have issues with getting insurance that allows a trailer. Some get grandfathered in, but with new policies they are putting restrictions on what you can do. I guess it depends on what state you are in also?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Freighttrain

Been involved with antique trucks a long time, but not aware of an antique truck board other than ATHS, is that the one you are referring to, or is there another?

TomC750

Old 03-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Hi Tom. This is the spin off from ATHS board. Not sure if you know the back story to it or not? Bill Johnson was going to take over controls of the website a few years ago and the core group started another board with the money donated from a member that passed away suddenly.

just old trucks

If you are into Macks, then Forums - BigMackTrucks.com is another good board. I've put all my build stuff here. I'm Freightrain on most boards.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Well the seller was Full of S#!+. Truck was a rust bucket compared to how he described it and took the photos.

Lost a $1000 depost and 24 hours worth of driving

Old 03-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Hi Tom. This is the spin off from ATHS board. Not sure if you know the back story to it or not? Bill Johnson was going to take over controls of the website a few years ago and the core group started another board with the money donated from a member that passed away suddenly.

just old trucks

If you are into Macks, then Forums - BigMackTrucks.com is another good board. I've put all my build stuff here. I'm Freightrain on most boards.
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I knew Bill Johnson, but he came on the scene after my tenure as a Regional VP. I have been out of the loop for a while. Did attend York with my '53 C750 and Kingham trailer. I also have a '74 KW K100. Thanks for the link.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Ugh, sorry to hear that Brad. Where was the truck located?

Tom, I'll check the Showtime for your trucks. Mine is the black/white 59 B model Mack with 40ft Haulmark trailer(with my race car hanging out the back). I didn't have a good show if you saw my truck you would understand. Ugh. I send you a PM.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Well the seller was Full of S#!+. Truck was a rust bucket compared to how he described it and took the photos.

Lost a $1000 depost and 24 hours worth of driving
How do you loose the deposit if the truck wasn't as described?

Quick Reply: Semi with historic/vintage tags in PA