Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 f150 4.9L slight miss/hesitation under light gas pedal pressure

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by durbancic

Here is the picture of mine already taped off. This is the drivers side rear of my engine.

Don't feel bad, I had to call a friend to figure out where my EGR valve was.

-dan

Is your light always on now as a result of the tape/caping?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM
ghostshark
Senior User
My 90 f150 300 I6 had the same trouble till I read here about the egr issue and test.

To answer the questions.

After capping my egr vacuum line my issue of surging/sputtering under steady throttle at any speed/gear went completely away and my check engine light for lean fuel code went off.

BUT, after driving the truck like this for a wile the check light comes on when its warmed up coding for rich fuel mix detected. But it runs great and im not going back to the truck making me look like a headbanger listening to g&r paradise city "Although i do like that song ".

I read somewhere on here that I cant find atm about simply putting a body washer with a 1/8th hole in the middle in between the big nut and egr valve. This is to hide your custom work and have clean enough exhaust to pass state inspection where I live. They look for thing like egr tampering here.

The body washer is also supposed to keep the check light off in my situation normalizing the air/fuel mix and saving gas. Gonna give it a shot this weekend and see how this one works.

90 f-150 300 I6 250k+ miles and still teaches kittens how to purr...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ghostshark
My 90 f150 300 I6 had the same trouble till I read here about the egr issue and test.

To answer the questions.

After capping my egr vacuum line my issue of surging/sputtering under steady throttle at any speed/gear went completely away and my check engine light for lean fuel code went off.

BUT, after driving the truck like this for a wile the check light comes on when its warmed up coding for rich fuel mix detected. But it runs great and im not going back to the truck making me look like a headbanger listening to g&r paradise city "Although i do like that song ".

I read somewhere on here that I cant find atm about simply putting a body washer with a 1/8th hole in the middle in between the big nut and egr valve. This is to hide your custom work and have clean enough exhaust to pass state inspection where I live. They look for thing like egr tampering here.

The body washer is also supposed to keep the check light off in my situation normalizing the air/fuel mix and saving gas. Gonna give it a shot this weekend and see how this one works.

90 f-150 300 I6 250k+ miles and still teaches kittens how to purr...

Cool!...be sure to report your findings.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM
ghostshark
Senior User
a bit longer than expected

I was planning on doing this last weekend but time was not on my side lol.

I finally got the part a 3/4" fender washer with a 1/8" hole and I installed it today. I have some driving to do today as well so here's hoping it works. Found it at a hardware store not at an auto parts house if anyone else is looking.

Going to drive for about 1.5 hours as well as around town once I get there so lots of freeway and city. I have made this trip several times before and it costs exactly $20 in gas at current prices. I'm going to watch for the CEL and fuel mileage and post my findings here. Also goung to keep an eye out for the original surging problem when the egr was hooked up without the washer.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 AM
ghostshark
Senior User
A nice ride

Did my driving and was out all day as you can see by the time stamp for this post lol.

All is well. No CEL no surging and gas mileage went up but just slightly. All in all I would say I saved a half gallon but hey that 1.50 where im at and the part only cost .11 cents so it paid for itself already lol. I'm glad to see the CEL staying off now that is always nice.

A good fix and It does seem to work well. Hope this helps someone else out there in big 6 land.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Tom Carnright
New User
need some help fast

hi, i have a 1989 ford f150 4.9 l6 but i just put a new exhaust on it and it will start shut down and keep doing it over and over and once it starts running fine i put it in gear it either stalls or when u start driving it pops and sputters and then starts to stall again. any suggestions

Tom

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM
dpats83
New User
Aluminum Foil....

Hello. I am new to this WONDERFUL Site. I just used the foil trick and it worked for me. I too was at a loss. I have put so much into this truck just to have it still sputtering and hesitating. I was going to take it back to the shop and tell them that this brand new fuel pump was terrible.....Plenty of power now!!! Thanks for all of the great information!!!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
gilbert spleen
New User
91 4.9L 150K, Engine stumbled, bucked and snorted during light acceleration as in previous posts. Bought 10 cent body washer with 1/8 inch hole. Used liquid wrench on 1 1/16 nut soaked for 2 days. Removed nut, installed washer, reinstalled nut. Test drive rendered no more bucking or hesitation...All is well.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
ab1993f150
New User
1993 F-150 4.9/E4oD=Hesitation/Miss/Stumble/shutter

Officer Ball here....I gotta 1993 F Uno Fitty...with a 4.9/E40d...with stumble/miss/hesitation/shutter. Replaced following parts: Fuel filter, plugs/wires, dist. cap/ignition rotor...with no resolve..leading me to believe it was Torque Converter shutter...then on a hunch, i removed vac line coming off egr to egr relay/sensor....and seems to have made significant improvement...I read a post stating aluminem foil could be used in metal tube that delivers recirculated exhaust gas to the egr.... plunger can be pushed open from back side with screw driver...but it would seem to stiff for vaccuum/pressure generated to open and close it, and I'm no genius as it pertains to the functionality of said system.engine light stays on, but issue seems to be resolved for now....gonna see how she does for a few days...I commute to work about 55 mile round trip per day, mostly highway...hoping I get some kind of increase/improvement in gas mileage. Also, have noticed that temp gauge never seems to go up very high...runs really cool...has for the 2 years I've had it...About to cut off Cat Convert and run true duals with independent single in/out 2.25" mufflers...hoping it will breathe better..Anyone with advice is encouraged to comment. Thanks

Last edited by ab1993f150; 01-26-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: added information
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM
storchmj
Junior User
Storch here,
Another happy camper with EGR block...

1995 F150 4.9L 4x4 with slight hesitation stumble at light acceleration. Was fine until I did the del monte replacement vacuum canister. As a result of fixing the vacuum leak the EGR system began working properly leading to poor performance. I disconnected vacuum to EGR and performance has greatly improved. I no longer have the hesitation/stumble. Starting the truck is quicker/easier and it shifts better into second gear... which was stubborn. As noted check engine light came on. As a more permanent solution I did the restrictor plate with a 7/64 in. hole. Performance went back to being crappy. So instead of a restrictor plate I cut another piece of flashing with no holes (essentially blocked it off completely) reasembled and wha la... no check engine light & better performance. So yes, you can block it off completely and fool the check engine light. My successes here told inspired a beer run to the grocery store where some lady clipped me from behind in the parking lot. New paint job too!

no good deed goes unpunished ...

Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 AM
danman282
New User
will it pass smog?

hey there, I've been reading a lot about adding a restrictor plate to the EGR. I'm all for it I was just wondering if it will be able to pass a smog check. I know the CEL won't be on, but will it affect to CO2 percentages? Anyway just wanted to get your thoughts and first hand experiences...Thanks

Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM
ghostshark
Senior User
Good question, I passed inspection 2 times with my plate installed. But my truck was running buttery smooth and all other sensors were at 100% operation. I would estimate that the co2 levels would be un affected as the engine compensates by adjusting the air/fuel mixture to maintain a ~17% ratio. If i remember my number correctly.

But in short. If you have the surging problem this is the fix. I recommend the body washer in the egr intake nut it wont fail and its 100% hidden if thats necessary.

I have sense sold my 1990 and got my 1986, same engine but carbed. Loving it!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM
bigmacmondayf250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ghostshark
Good question, I passed inspection 2 times with my plate installed. But my truck was running buttery smooth and all other sensors were at 100% operation. I would estimate that the co2 levels would be un affected as the engine compensates by adjusting the air/fuel mixture to maintain a ~17% ratio. If i remember my number correctly.

But in short. If you have the surging problem this is the fix. I recommend the body washer in the egr intake nut it wont fail and its 100% hidden if thats necessary.

I have sense sold my 1990 and got my 1986, same engine but carbed. Loving it!
Would this also be helpful for the 5.8?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
hotrod351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did the same thing, 90 4.9. replaced the egr and still did it, finally disconnected the egr vacuum and plugged the hose, didnt do it anymore and the check engine light never came on. that was years ago. still disconnected.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM
mike20069
New User
thank you guys

Hi guys, i have a 95 f150 with the 4.9 on a5 speed. I love my truck but i was plagued by the famous hesitation. After reading some of the great advice on here i tried the restricter plate idea with 2 1/8 holes made from aluminum flat sock and i used 2 new gaskets and sealer. It works great! I'm so happy my girl is running like new again, even with 315k on her. Thank you very much for the advice guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 f150 4.9L slight miss/hesitation under light gas pedal pressure