Forrest's major mods round 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Forrest's major mods round 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Elder User

SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Forrest's major mods round 2

Round 1 has pretty much occurred in the last 1.5 years and is reflected in my sig. Onto round 2 which consists of: new PIS 175/80 injectors, 910 comp springs shimmed .030, new valve seals, fluidampr, M208 LPOP, confirming if the injector cups are sealed, military battery terminal mod, and new Gearhead tunes!

Starting point:

Click the image to open in full size.

Evacuating the HPOP with an air powered siphon gun. Used the small bucket with the rags on top to seal off the air nozzle through a small cut I made in the rags. Worked well. Took some time but much faster and easier than the mityvac I started to use. I had drained the coolant and fuel bowl by this time.

Pulled injectors #7/8 to let the fluid drain into those cylinders. Removed all the glow plugs, rocker arms, and pushrods while waiting.

Evacuating #8 and then 7. Quite a bit of fluid.

There the injector cores be. O rings were in reasonable condition, no brittle or broken ones.

Two injectors had these marks. What do they indicate?

Starting to look a little lonely in there.

Pressurized the cooling system to 15psi for an hour while I performed a quick clean on the cups and sprayed them with silicone looking for leaks. Unfortunately, my flip camera decided to not work so, I could only perform a visual on cylinders 1 through 4. The system held 15psi for an hour with no loss in pressure. I then decreased to 11psi and it held for 3 more hours. Is this sufficient to say the cups are not leaking?

38R, PIS 175/80, T500, RR billet plenums, Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs, AFE spyder, S&B Intake kit, PHP Hydra, CNC HPOP & Quad fuel feed, 6.0 cooler, Built trans & Billet converter, Warn hubs, TrueTrac, PMF traction bars, Flo-Pro 4" exhaust, H&H tank mod.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Elder User

SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SRBF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Starting the work on the first valve spring.

Different shot.

Comp 910 spring wire diameter. Compressing the springs by hand confirmed the Comp springs are substantially stiffer. Extraordinary scientific method.

OEM spring wire diameter.

38R, PIS 175/80, T500, RR billet plenums, Fluidampr, Melling LPOP, 910 springs, AFE spyder, S&B Intake kit, PHP Hydra, CNC HPOP & Quad fuel feed, 6.0 cooler, Built trans & Billet converter, Warn hubs, TrueTrac, PMF traction bars, Flo-Pro 4" exhaust, H&H tank mod.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Elder User

1.850" height. Used .030" shims to arrive at 1.780" installed height with valve seals for 125lbs seat pressure.

Shim and new valve seal in place.

First cylinder finished, 7 more to go.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Posting Guru

Sous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to behold
You are a braver man than I am. I may venture into swapping out my injectors one day, but the harmonic balancer, LPOP and valve springs are out of my ability I reckon.

Did you buy new battery cable or do you think there will be enough on the harness to install the military terminals?

Subscribed, and love to see the pictures.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Under Construction

scotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to beholdscotttahoe is a splendid one to behold
Nice job and great pics!

Sous, the harmonic balancer, LPOP and valve springs are pretty easy to do. It's all in the right tooling.
Scotty-Grinch is an E99 Ford f-250 7.3 4X4 with 215K miles, 6" lift, 6637 intake kit, 4" exhaust turbo back, 7 gauges, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, Warn premium locking hubs, F-650 dash kit, FRx, HPx, Melling LPOP, 38R, AFe intake, 3 trumpet air chime train horn, and more.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Postmaster

z31freakify has a very good reputation on FTE.z31freakify has a very good reputation on FTE.z31freakify has a very good reputation on FTE.
Did you replace the valve stem seals to?
The Mule: 1995 f350 xlt cclb 7.3 2wd 3.55 800k+miles, 6637 DIY intake, 160/0 Rosewood injectors,T-500 hpop Freakify turbo mod with SPX billet wheel, gutted ebpv,Tony W. tunned, DIY 6.0 trans cooler-intercooler, diamond eye 3''to 4'' straight pipe,sd 44gal tank,custom interior[B]
Work truck 2001 f250 ccsb 4×4 Platinum Eddition 3.73 388k Riffraff ic boots
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Postmaster

ExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to beholdExPACamper is a splendid one to behold
Subscribing...
2002 7.3L Aspen Green Ex, Med Parch w/wood grain. 166k. 2008 Heated mirrors, 2005 Front clip. AIS, 6.0 trans cooler, MBRP 4" SS Turbo-back, Hellwig sway bar. Bilstein steering damper, F350 springs, Westin Open Country Brush Guard. Fuel bowl rebuild, Hutch Mod, International ICP, new IPR. ELC. Prodigy P2. Mostly Stock motor. John Wood VB. HPx and FRx. 95 WW , 35" tires on 22" wheels. Starts in 2 secs. Belllowed Uppipes. Rancho RS9000XL shocks. HYDRA w/ GH Tunes
Build thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...-the-ugly.html
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Elder User

The cables are long enough. The eyelets extend them a bit at any rate. Just finished this on a friends EX and the results are great. I will be increasing the gauge from the D side postive terminal to the P side batter since I happen to have a nice piece of cable left from a battery relocation deal I did a while ago.

The work isn't technical nor difficult. The right tools are key and I do have a good bit of experience doing this sort of work on hotrods so, I'm totally fine with it. The diesel aspect is newish to me but I've been reading up on this stuff for a year now, time to get it done.

Yes, new valve seals.

On edit, I need to clarify "difficult". Changing the springs int he rear 4 cylinders and in particular 7/8 is difficult to hold a plank over the nose of the truck that long while utilizing fine motor skills and focus to reinstall the valve locks.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:58 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Roland Mueck
Glad to see my McTool is working out great for you. Get'r done!
Roland... '01 F-250 Lariat "Big Red" CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6, live tuned, AFE II, Modified GTP38R, Banks 6.0 CAC, Full Force Singles, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, M-208, mueckster 4R100 & Fuel System, Comp Cams 910's, 4" SS MBRP, Truetrac, 6.0 Trans cooler ....Found a new home
'13 F150 XLT "Bubba" Supercrew 4x4 5.0 SB Texas Edition Tuxedo Black...Tuner, Intake, Exhaust, Suspension, LED Light mods
Old 02-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueckster View Post
Glad to see my McTool is working out great for you. Get'r done!
Indeed, it works very well and simplifies this job. I got 3 cylinders done by quitting time. I hope to get the rest done tomorrow, but it is Sunday and the brown water may derail best intentions.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Elder User

sean23johnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribed! Looks like a fun project.

Couple questions, maybe I missed this.
Why 175/80 injectors? What is your plan for the truck? Towing? I ask because I am looking to do an injector swap this year and am looking at new AC's but considering a little bigger.
Why new springs? Are yours wore out? Preventive maintenance?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:25 AM
Posting Guru

Sous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to beholdSous is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post
The cables are long enough. The eyelets extend them a bit at any rate. Just finished this on a friends EX and the results are great. I will be increasing the gauge from the D side postive terminal to the P side batter since I happen to have a nice piece of cable left from a battery relocation deal I did a while ago.
What gauge wire are you swapping to between the batteries? I look forward to the pictures of the project as you progress.

I am on the fence about wiring up the military terminals. I think my OEM ones are OK, but the new military style would certainly be more secure and look better. I would run heavier gauge wire as well, and possibly wire in an additional 4 gauge wire from the alternator for future higher amperage models.

So much to do, so little time.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Elder User

First, the primary reason to change injectors is #8 is not doing very well. It is very noisy once pushed hard while towing. With 170K, I felt it was better to change the set instead of 1 and if I'm doing that, well, it's time to upgrade. Yes, we tow a travel trailer throughout the Pacific Northwest with a number of steep mountain passes. Last year I scaled: Front axle 4,500lbs, Rear 6,700lbs, Trailer axles 5,500lbs and this was without the kayaks/canoe and racks to carry them as well as an empty fresh water tank in the trailer and room for the firewood we burned :-).

The injector decision has taken me 6 months or reading, thinking, talking to various vendors, tuners, and references from a handful of folks on different forums. I'm not exaggerating even a little. My initial thought was to use AC injectors, but with the T500, Fuel upgrade, and finally 38R, it was evident the 175/80's would take full advantage of these mods whereas the AC's would leave a lot of torque and tuning control on the table. Still, I nearly went with the AC's as PIS is selling them for only $1650...

The springs are mainly a PM thing but with an eye towards the RPM range and boost level while pulling the mountains.

A 1.7" intake valve has a surface area of 2.26". 2.26X40pis (max for 38R) is 90.4 psi acting against the back of the intake valve. This would be a Max scenario as I will be targeting 35psi as a max for a little headroom. Given this, stock springs age and are a bit soft as designed for the stock parameters which I will have clearly exceeded. Thus, changing the springs and valve seals while there for the amount of boost and age of the engine seems worthwhile.

The fluidampr, also seems like a reasonable proactive measure as all these modifications will take the stock damper out of its designed range of effectiveness. I never could find specific 7.3 testing on this, but with my background and understanding of dampers, I believe it's a wise move.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
What gauge wire are you swapping to between the batteries? I look forward to the pictures of the project as you progress.
1/0 will be used. The cable is even red. It's just long enough I believe, I'll bring it with me today to confirm.

It's a bit of a job in the sense that to properly crimp the cables on truck, you need a hydraulic crimper. You could just heat the terminals/cable with a torch and fill with solder, but I am an advocate of a proper crimp and solder. The solder only method would work very well to be clear though.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Elder User

Today I finished up the valve spring replacement. I then redid the coolant pressure test with a flip camera to see if any of the rear 4 cylinders had leaking cups and again, pressure held well and in the camera replay I didn't see any bubbles. I proceeded with cleaning the cups using:

I wrapped a very fine scotch brite type pad used in autobody around the bristles to clean the cup and the follwed up with a few towels sprayed with a little silicone spray.

Here's what they look like after.