Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2003, 08:29 PM
New User

Razor19454 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Oil drain plug location--Please help!

For some reason, I am unable to locate the oil pan drain plug on my 2003 Ford Escape (1st oil change).

Maybe I am blind, but I would appreciate any help.
There's no Chilton's or Haynes manual available yet.

Needless to say, I feel like a knucklehead and am more than a little frustrated.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Postmaster

V10man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Oil drain plug location--Please help!

On a V6 right?? OK, going in from the front, if you look under the car, you'll see the pan. It's cast aluminum, looks like a waffel. It's on the back side if that facing the rear of the vehicle. If it's your first time then expect the plug and filter to be TIGHT!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Elder User

pilot10 is starting off with a positive reputation.

One other thing. Expect to drain oil all over your exhaust when you remove the filter!!!! Ford should fire the dang brain donor engineer who placed the filter there. At least my 150 has a plastic piece to direct the dripping oil onto the ground(or properly placed pan) instead of all over the bottom of the engine.

It's about time to change the oil again on the wife's Tribute(2nd time) and this time I'm thinking of fashioning some sort of funnel(it's a tight space) to collect the filter's oil in a container instead of having to wipe it off the ground.

Tim
94 B4000 4x4
59 F100- 125 miles between fill-ups
78 Datsun
Old 08-13-2003, 09:00 PM
New User

Razor19454 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks much. that's a big help. I think I will use a piece of one inch hose to minimize the mess.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:37 PM
New User

cyclenut is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello all,
I have a 99 f-150 and for some reason I have become as blind as anything out there and I cannot find my oil drain plug . I would greatly take any advise anyone can give. It's a 4.2L , Thanks much , Signed Blind as a bat
Old 08-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Senior User

MSRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor19454
Thanks much. that's a big help. I think I will use a piece of one inch hose to minimize the mess.
Fram is now selling an replacment oil drain plug fitting/hose combination which would eliminate the mess from the drain plug area. I saw them in the WallyMart the other day. They were over $10 though...

As for the oil filter, I don't know about the Escapes particularly, but maybe a one gallon milk plastic milk jug with the bottom cut out might help funnel the drain oil from the filter area off of the exhaust?

Loosen the filter first, then reach up with the funnel in one hand, and twist the filter loose with the other?

Leave the funnel in place for a few minutes while the initial oil drains off, then remove the filter the rest of the way.

Depending on whether the Escape filter is mounted straight up, or angled to the side, it might work well.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Elder User

PrPlayboy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Most oil filters are a pain in that way. I just let the oil filter drain into the black drian pan. After everything finishes I clean the screw and screw the new filter in. i wipe off any excess oil and the rest burn offs.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
2003, 2007f150oildrainplug, 42, drain, drian, escape, f150, ford, located, location, mazda, oil, pan, plug, tribute