1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

3-on-the-tree power steering swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:27 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
3-on-the-tree power steering swap

I don't even have my 71 working properly with power steering with an automatic column, but wondering what it would take to get P/S on my 69.
Barring going to a pick-and-pull, are there other "reasonable" options for putting P/S on my 69 2wd with three-on-the-tree?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:35 PM
hardlyrider
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there are a lot of threads here that discuss P/S for these trucks, but I haven't read many. I did the conversion about '89 or '90 on a '72. What I learned and what you probably already know, is the column must me changed. PROBLEM: Three speed column shift with power steering was probably the least built combination on these trucks. I found a mid-late 70s column which had the 4-way flasher switch on the column and retrofitted it with the '72 turn signal switch and collar (retaining original 4-way switch in glove box). Using paint from the factory code, I pulled off a nice conversion, but gathering all pieces was a chore. Twenty-five plus years later makes the parts harder to find at the wrecking yards. With all that said, it was no doubt worth all the trouble and as far as comfort modifications, second only to A/C. Of course, you're also in Texas and know how much we love that.

As for reasonable options, there are numerous kits being built that are inclusive of most everything needed except that hard-to-find column!

Old 02-19-2016, 04:13 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
OK, All steering sets are the same overall length from 65-79, the column are shift specific, and pump mount specific.

The preferred upgrade is the Saginaw set 73-76 FE engine, 73-79 for 302 & I-6. There were not as many 3 on the tree sets offered as auto but if you look hard enough they can be found. The connect point for the Saginaw is about 2 1/3 in closer to the Firewall that the Bendix so buying a complete set is recommended.

John

Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM
hardlyrider
Senior User
I'm not sure I'm following you John. I don't know if I had a Saginaw or Bendix P/S sector. All I know is the sector was larger and when attempting to mount to the frame, the input shaft rose too high (closer to the firewall) to mount to the "standard steering" column. Hence, I had to get a (shorter) "power steering" column. So even if another brand sector would have fit my OEM column, there still had to be different lengths produced/used by Ford to accommodate different size sectors/boxes produced by Saginaw, Bendix, or whoever.

The way I see it, there were six different columns depending to the different options available:
a) Manual steering / 3 sp column shift,
b) Power steering / 3 sp column shift,
c) Manual steering / Auto Trans
e) Power steering / Auto Trans
f) Manual steering / Floor shift 4 sp
g) Power steering / Floor shift 4 sp

Of course, all manual shift trucks would have shared many column parts, the floorshift models eliminating the shift tube, shift collar, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM
yetiman38237
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know how you would find (affordable) pulleys brackets etc without a pick and pull option

Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

The sets have to be matched. You need to use the column and steering gear that care mated from the factory. A Bendix mated column is too long to use with a Saginaw gear. A Saginaw column is too short for the Bendix gear.

I pulled the 3 on the tree column, tranny, and non power Bendix gear from my 66 and installed a 76 donor C6 auto tranny, Saginaw power steering and column and everything bolted right up.

Sounds like you tried to mix match.

John

Old 02-22-2016, 04:58 PM
hardlyrider
Senior User
Originally Posted by jowilker

Sounds like you tried to mix match.

John
That would make sense, and now I understand your comment of "all the same length" meaning the "set" from top of column to box mounting holes, as opposed to the column by itself.

I bet we can agree that the manual shift (3-on-tree), power steering combination is the hardest to find!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:12 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by yetiman38237
Don't know how you would find (affordable) pulleys brackets etc without a pick and pull option
That can be accomplished a little easier as I can use the setup for a 85 or so f150 pulley, bracket, pump for a 300 engine. The column and gear... Arghh. Going aftermarket with a ididit 1130740010 would be about $700. Ouch.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 PM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts
Hill, since the 3 speed column is practically unobtanium, why not go with the Benchworks kit for $795 and be done with it?
Edit: that Ididit column you referenced is for an auto column. They don't make a manual shift column.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM
yetiman38237
Elder User
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
That can be accomplished a little easier as I can use the setup for a 85 or so f150 pulley, bracket, pump for a 300 engine. The column and gear... Arghh. Going aftermarket with a ididit 1130740010 would be about $700. Ouch.
I'm guessing you could shorten the shaft? Not sure how well it would align up though. Seems like there ought to be a simple solution out there. I never found it and ended up just going with an auto column and cutting a hole in the floorboard.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Yes you can cut and shorten the column & shaft the 2 1/3" needed. I would look for a direct replacement if you can't let your truck shift it's own gears.

John

Old 02-25-2016, 06:55 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I know a guy in Missouri who has one, a '69 column I think. Three-on-the-tree that came from a PS truck. He had it as of 5 days ago. A LOT cheaper than $795. 417-259-0014, he does NOT text.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:41 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by hoss73ford
I know a guy in Missouri who has one, a '69 column I think. Three-on-the-tree that came from a PS truck. He had it as of 5 days ago. A LOT cheaper than $795. 417-259-0014, he does NOT text.
thanks. I called him up. He had just sold and shipped the column that would have worked with a Ford power steering box. He told me if I could go with a Bendix power steering gear, I could use my existing steering column. If that is the case, then this might work:
http://r.ebay.com/gQdvDv

Old 02-26-2016, 04:17 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

That is correct for the Bendix gear. The preferred gear is the Saginaw that uses the shorter column.

John

Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
I am aware that the ford Saginaw gear is preferred, but it would appear that I could upgrade to power steering using the bendix gear with the least amount of disturbance to my 69.
I found the mounting bracket for the power steering pump today at a pick-and-pull in San Antonio. It came off of a 84 or so pickup. Same bracket that I used on my 71 p/s upgrade. Can I use the same hoses that I did with my upgrade on the 71 with the bendix gear?
Also, should I not be able to use my existing pitman arm for this upgrade.
Also, can someone specify the correct bendix gear for this application?
Interesting note - on the way out of town in the 69, I pulled into an Exxon for some fuel. A man and his family in a 90s f150 pulled up. Said they saw me leave the drive through breakfast taco place and had followed me. Seems he was on his way to El Paso to pick up a plain jane 69 f100. El Paso is about 600 miles west. He asked if I would sell mine. Told him it might come up on the market in the future, but I needed it while I work on my project truck. At that time I told him I figured it I would sell it for about $5K. Offered me cash on the spot. Repeated that I need my truck now. By the time I had left, he had offered me $6K for the truck in cash. If my 71 was a driver, I would have accepted the offer. But since I traded off my Mustang, the Harley and the 69 are my modes of transport.

Quick Reply: 3-on-the-tree power steering swap