1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

*New* Insurance Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Connecticut Calvin
The policy was $140 plus a "mandatory" $30 for Hagerty Plus which was some towing gimmick. I think my insurance agency took me for a ride on that one. I have AAA. I don't need your fancy towing thank you!

All in all not bad for a $7500 agreed upon value. But I see many of you agree with me that the price should be replacement value and not what the truck would sell for.

I do wonder if in fact the insurance varies state by state. The gray area makes me uneasy. And the whole "don't use your classic truck to commute to work" thing always seemed bogus to me. If someone works three miles from home that's six miles a day, 30 miles a week and 1,560 miles a year. That's well under the 2500 miles. Oh the joys of insurance.

I have yet to see a response of what other stock big truck owners have listed as their agreed upon value. Any takers?
You better check to make sure AAA will tow your big truck. I was in my 70 F350 and needed a tow. I called AAA. The girl on the other end asked what kind of truck. I told her a 1970 F350. She asked is it a pickup bed? I said no a flatbed. She said AAA will not cover that kind of truck. I would have to pay.

So next time I need a tow I tell her it is a pickup.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Calvin, did you buy your Hagerty insurance thru your regular agent? I did and if I could, I'd cut him out of it. Didn't seem to increase the cost, but he was screwing me on my DD insurance, and no longer have those cars covered by him. I did the "15 minutes" thing and cut my DD insurance in half.

A lot of variation from state to state is the Uninsured Motorists coverage. Less than half of NM drivers have insurance (or a valid license for that matter), and we get popped for that.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
This is one area where Zip code matters. If you live in a high crime area, rates are gonna be higher. If you've had six DUIs and credit score is 252, they won't like that much either.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
PHXHawk
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Hagerty policy says all tow trucks are flatbeds.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:22 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did get my Hagerty insurance through my regular agent. I wish I hadn't. I have to call Hagerty directly and ask if the Hagerty Plus towing stuff was in fact mandatory as my agent put it.

Will AAA tow my truck? Good question. I guess I broke my own rule by assuming. I'll have to ask my AAA office if they have details on towing.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
I'm a big State Farm fan, but it would have cost me somewhere between $50-$100 per trip if I had stayed with them for my f100. So, now I'm a Haggerty fan. The last I saw, buyback option of your totaled vehicle was part of their sales pitch. I hope to never file a claim with them, so I don't know how that experience would pan out. They've never asked for a mileage number from me which is good as I've yet to work the bugs out of my speedometer/odometer.
I'm curious about your comment about the $50-100 per trip cost? I have Edith insured through State Farm, I have compared it to haggerty and SF is lower cost. Both have the same basic Liability Limit, however Haggerty pay$1K for medical while SF pays $50K, Liability PD Haggerty pays $100K, my State Farm pays $50K, Uninsured Property, haggerty $15K, sf $50K. On collision and comp, both same declared value, $0 deductables on haggerty, $250 deductible collision and $100 comp with sf. Towing is a big difference, haggerty $60 towing covers up to 60 miles towing, sf 100 miles towing is $10.
The caveat with towing, with State farm, I can call anybody I want, I pay the bill and sf reimburses me right away, they will cover up to 100 miles and there is not limit on what they will reimburse for towing or roadside assistance. A couple of years ago I was at a cruise in on a Sunday, on the way home the fuel pump quit. I called a flatbed to haul her home, 25 miles. The tow bill was $125, and my agent wrote me a check the next morning.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:36 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Go here, directly into Hagerty site. You'll see exactly what your options are and it will price it out for you.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/co...om&pmt=e&pdv=c

Old 02-18-2016, 04:20 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Hagerty's application gives you the option to choose your liability amount coverage. IMO, this should be the most important part of the insurance package.
Thank you and I totally agree, with the sue happy world we live in you can lose more then your truck

Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 969 Likes on 863 Posts
Hagerty is a long established company, in this business and I don't belittle them at any level. But I was referred to a company by my primary, who does not cover classics. At first I thought I was getting a poor package I could tolerate for a year, just to get the issue resolved. After reviewing some comments here, Maybe that is not the case.

I have my F1 covered at $15,500, which was more than I paid, but probably less than I should have. I have 100/30/100 liability, uninsured/underinsured coverage, towing and labor with a 5000 mile annual usage. They are fairly strict on the usage, Club events, parades, shows, (other related), and occasional personal usage, (evening dinner, pleasure drive).
As I sit here looking at my policy, I was actually thinking of switching to Hagerty. But, I think I will instead, adjust my coverage up a couple thousand and call myself satisfied. This, by the , is not their best plan, there another with better "fringe benefits" that include, "occasional general use" and extra miles.

I don't work for them, but a little shopping around can't hurt. Best Collectors Insurance Companies | Classic Car Insurance Rates & Quotes | Americans Collectors Insurance | www.americancollectors.com | American Collectors

BTW, I pay very comfortably close to the $200 a year mark.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
I'm curious about your comment about the $50-100 per trip cost? I have Edith insured through State Farm, I have compared it to Hagerty and SF is lower cost.
State Farm will only let you go to shows, club meetings and be in parades for their cheap insurance. However, I don't belong to a club, go to maybe 3 car shows a year, and I don't drive in parades. I do like driving the truck into town to go shopping once in awhile and I thought I'd drive it to work (which I did twice before retiring). State Farms' comparable insurance (to Hagerty's) was quoted to me at about $1,000 per year. Last year I drove the truck maybe 10 times and this year will probably be about the same amount of trips.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:46 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Word of caution. I just got the Hagerty insurance as I just purchased the auto a few weeks ago.I filled out the application on line and put the value at $15000 -- what I paid for it. They called me gave me a total amount and I gave them CC info. The next day I got a call saying they over charged me by $18 no big deal. Today I thought I would just check to see it they applied the overcharge to the account. It shows as a credit - which is OK. The problem is they have the value as $3500 !!!!! I called and they have no idea how it was changed as the application says $15,000. Check your policy after you sign up to be sure you are getting what you asked for. Have Fun

Edit after post.
Just got a call from the Regional Supervisor. They fixed it and found the error - the agent put the 3500 mileage allotment in the value and 15,000 in the mileage. It is fixed and at least they stepped up to the plate and admitted it was their error.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

State Farm will only let you go to shows, club meetings and be in parades for their cheap insurance. However, I don't belong to a club, go to maybe 3 car shows a year, and I don't drive in parades. I do like driving the truck into town to go shopping once in awhile and I thought I'd drive it to work (which I did twice before retiring). State Farms' comparable insurance (to Hagerty's) was quoted to me at about $1,000 per year. Last year I drove the truck maybe 10 times and this year will probably be about the same amount of trips.
Wow, maybe an agent problem? My State Farm policy ($15,000) valuation 100/300/50 coverage is less than $200 year including towing. I was told that they 'preferred' 2500 miles per year average, ( I have put about 2K miles on since 2009, so I guess I can put 15,500 miles on it this year) I am not restricted on usage other than it not be the DD or principle vehicle.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious no one has mentioned Grundy's? I've heard nothing but good things about both of them paying out claims in full and quickly. Now with that being said,neither would insure my Vette or Truck because I drive both equally. The Vette 4 days, the Truck 3 days, the thing is,I only drive around 36 miles a day to and from work. I put more miles on them going to play golf on my days off. So I'll chalk this up to being in a big city with a lot of traffic, Houston,Tx. I'm with Travelers and have a declared value of 50k on the truck and a modification policy of all the things done to the Vette (25k had to show all the receipts) on top of the value if totalled. Have full coverage on both, in H-town with all the uninsured motorist on the road,I'm not taking any chances. I would do Haggerty's or Grundy's if I could, but I have to use what I can. L8R ZFLASH

Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Wow, maybe an agent problem? My State Farm policy ($15,000) valuation 100/300/50 coverage is less than $200 year including towing. I was told that they 'preferred' 2500 miles per year average, ( I have put about 2K miles on since 2009, so I guess I can put 15,500 miles on it this year) I am not restricted on usage other than it not be the DD or principle vehicle.
I suspect the agent thing is correct, or at least the representative of the agent is correct. I had one that was great and then they gave us over to this guy. It was so bad that my agent put me back with my previous agent, but he confirmed the quote price. So, I went to Haverty. State Farm has/is missing out on some easy money.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

I suspect the agent thing is correct, or at least the representative of the agent is correct. I had one that was great and then they gave us over to this guy. It was so bad that my agent put me back with my previous agent, but he confirmed the quote price. So, I went to Haverty. State Farm has/is missing out on some easy money.
Before I went to Truckstock 13, I called them and told them I was driving it out of state and pulling a camping trailer..."Your covered..have fun" was the response.

Quick Reply: *New* Insurance Discussion