Sponsored by: Moser

75 F100 Pictures + Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by axidjw
My tech(Bobby) thinks after headers, intake, carb, cistom tune and head work, that we will be in the (275-300 range). That's just an educated guess. We talked some tonight and he wants to help bring this motor alive. He has drafted a build which includes a .30 bore, a crane cam, a guerilla gas system, new pan and oil pick up, new crank and a 50 shot of nos. He said he can order all the parts for under 1k and he will charge me ciggarette and beer money to do the work. His blueprint build is shooting for 400-425hp. He has done a lot of the 289 and 302 motors for t bucket hot rods that can push 500 safely. He says he already has a tranny lined up for me as well. Probably start that long journey in the summer as it means substantial down time.
I am at .060 over, flat top pistons, shaved GT40 heads, Comp Extreme energy cam, Weiand Stealth intake, Demon 625 CFM 4bbl., and a yet to be determined set of headers. Also running under drive pulleys a high flow water pump and an HEI dizzy. I'm just hoping for more pep then the 130 HP the motor came with stock.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GM4WALLS
I am at .060 over, flat top pistons, shaved GT40 heads, Comp Extreme energy cam, Weiand Stealth intake, Demon 625 CFM 4bbl., and a yet to be determined set of headers. Also running under drive pulleys a high flow water pump and an HEI dizzy. I'm just hoping for more pep then the 130 HP the motor came with stock.

ughmm..a considerable amount more i would say..lol
I have a little motor and it is what it is, anything will be better. I think once i do the bore, crank, cam, intake and 4bbl, heads,new gas delivery and new oil system, tune and finally the nos kit. it should be a street monster..well, for 1975 technology anyways..haha
I will be honest though, if it wasnt for the cheapness that im going to have all this done, i wouldnt do it. Pushing the envelope almost of what is a hot rod motor versus reliability.. Cool and functional usually never show up int he same sentance

You def need to get it dyno'd and see what numbers your running at the crank.
Im going to go over this weekend and get it dyno'd and get some base lines and i will def post results. i believe hes on the little "high" side for numbers..did i mention he drinks....lol

Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 PM
GM4WALLS
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was originally doing a budget, stockish build. It didn't end up that way. Lol

Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
Sounds good. A gain of 275 -300hp would be impressive.
Yea, I am seriously doubting I'll achieve those kind of numbers but my motor will be built out and stout and piece of mind is worth its weight in gold. Ill just have to see. Its going to be a lonh road and I'll def post the pulls before and after..

Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck. In to follow along.

While you have the heads being worked on I suggest having screw in studs added for the rocker arms.
Also for the header install support the motor and pull the motor mounts it will make life easier.
I started with the same motor you have and graduated up to a 347, it moves pretty good and sounds alright.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Originally Posted by axidjw
Talked to my buddy who is a machinist and works on hot rods (its good to have a friend like this..lol). Going to take truck over to his shop saturday and take off heads for him to check them out and do some work (port, polish, hone and flow the heads). Hes going to do all the work for $100 and a 6 pack. Once thats assembled and done saturday hes going to help me put on the hopoker headers. Once intake/carb comes, going to tackle that, take it over to him and see what kind of numbers we get on his dyno and then go from there. He suggests new guides, rods and valves (we will know more once we take heads off. Next will be crank, cam and bottom end work. The rear main seal needs to be replaced anyways.
Wow, it seems like I need to live near you. I know its not the case but its sounds like great things are falling into place with a couple dollars and beer. I guess I have some fishing to do to find GA counterparts for me. I am looking to cleanup my f100 with similar work. I sanded it metal and painted it so I could use it in my wedding but it took me 4 months. I love your posts because it seams like big things are only taking days or weeks for you. I appreciate this alot.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 AM
axidjw
Elder User
update 3/3/16 -Engine build begins

So, I talked to bobby some more last night. He came over andhelped me put on the headers (ill get to that nightmare here in another post)
We sat down and started talking about the blueprint to getthis little c.i.d. motor to the hp/tq levels he was talking about and it wasway overwhelming. Other than the normal go fast parts, he stated that we wouldneed all new forged internals, new valves, rods, pistons, crank, etc..the pricesticker kept going up and up and amount of down time went way up since he wasgoing to have to do this in his off time. I just bought this truck and amreally enjoying working on it and breaking my knuckles to fix her up and don’t knowif I want downtime of up to three months during the spring/summer. We drank acouple more beers and discussed more reasonable aspirations for now and came upwith a plan to reach 350hp/375tq -375hp/400tq. Going to need to do .30 bore to get all these internals to work as almost all parts are from a early 80's 302. Not amazing but still not too shabby for a 302 with 140 original horsepower and it will be much safer overall for the block and the core components and the build will be there if I want to swapout some things to make more power. So the shopping list begins, bobby is actually going to buy the products but here’s a short list for the first go round, still a million little strengthened bolts, screw, etc to order but this is going to be it for this round until next month and I will order the next set of items.. Have already ordered the intake/carb from edelbrock. He says he can get all the parts way cheaper than wholesale for me, don’t know how but its all good for my wallet..lol

FordRacing Roller Rocker Arm Set 1.7
FordRacing Hydraulic Roller Lifter Kit
FordRacing E303 Performance Camshaft
FordRacing 5.0L Oil Pan Kit
Engine Kit including all forged internals

Attached Images      
Old 03-03-2016, 11:24 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Good luck. In to follow along.

While you have the heads being worked on I suggest having screw in studs added for the rocker arms.
Also for the header install support the motor and pull the motor mounts it will make life easier.
I started with the same motor you have and graduated up to a 347, it moves pretty good and sounds alright.

Thanks for the info blue, looking at your sig. it looks like we will have a somewhat similar engine/tranny set up once all done.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:37 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by axelgawn
Wow, it seems like I need to live near you. I know its not the case but its sounds like great things are falling into place with a couple dollars and beer. I guess I have some fishing to do to find GA counterparts for me. I am looking to cleanup my f100 with similar work. I sanded it metal and painted it so I could use it in my wedding but it took me 4 months. I love your posts because it seams like big things are only taking days or weeks for you. I appreciate this alot.

Yea, I have known bobby for about 20+ years. He's an old crotchety kook but he's a great guy and he's build skills are awesome. I swear he has gas in his blood..lol
Thanks for the compliments, I will say though I go home at night and work on the truck at least 3-4 hours every night. I don't sleep much, never have, maybe 5-6 hours a night so I have plenty down time to tinker and a big heated 3 car garage so I have plenty of room to play in there. I'm trying not to bite off ore than I can chew at once though, still have a million other things planned like bagging the truck but have to get the bed taken care of and other mounting issues first.
Do you have pics of the work you did? Would love to see them (a build thread perhaps?)

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Not knocking your mentors input but....the hp numbers are optimistic for ported stock heads. The tq guess I'm not buying at all.

I'd cancelled the 302 intake order.

Find a good roller 351w block or any 351w block. Start from there.

Your buddies trying build a mustang motor for a truck, you need more cubes, for more torque potential, across a broad rpm range.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:58 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Motorhead351
Not knocking your mentors input but....the hp numbers are optimistic for ported stock heads. The tq guess I'm not buying at all.

I'd cancelled the 302 intake order.

Find a good roller 351w block or any 351w block. Start from there.

Your buddies trying build a mustang motor for a truck, you need more cubes, for more torque potential, across a broad rpm range.
Really? Do you think so, Ill be honest I'm kind of way over my head with this motor stuff. Im an computer person by trade and I know my way around a wrench pretty okay but all this high end stuff has me kind of scared to be honest. The allure of more power might be stronger than comon sense on my part. I don't really want a monster motor or anything, Just simple bolt ons for me would suffice..the normal-intake, carb, headers (putting these on showed me how an easy little thing can go downhill quick). I haven't ordered anything yet but was doing a lot of research and reading today and it seems like to achieve these numbers my motor is going to try to be something it was never ever intended to be. I need to think about this a lot more before I pull the trigger. Plus I am enjoying working on the truck, fixing her up and driving it and I just got it, I don't really want to have months of downtime especially with nicer weather right around the corner. Thanks for the input, I was hoping some other more experienced peoplewould chime in and let me know if I was making a good choice or not, thanks

Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
The 350 HP is achievable with ported stock 302 heads but it's gonna be achieved up in the RPM range. Not really good for a heavy truck.
The 400 tq, just not happening with stock compression, even then....
If your truck runs good, drive it.
Find a roller 351w f4te stamped on the block or any 351w, build it up, when you get it done, drop it in place of the 302, you can reuse the headers, you'll have to modify the exhaust, as the 351w is taller and wider, but no big deal.
302 are more common, whether you go roller or not, or 302 or 351w, you need heads that breathe, efficiently aka not stock ones, a cam optimal for your performance intent and compression ratio, which should be closer to 9.5~10:1. Don't go overboard with the carb cfm.
But don't take my word for it, enjoy your truck as is, do your research, it's like anything, it seems unfamiliar and complicated, until you learn more.
Good luck

Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Good advice Motorhead.
Though my 347 will outrun a 351,I wish I would have gone to the 351 block and built it into a 408 stroker. The 347 is hard on tires so I bet the 408 would go through them quicker and possibly get my immature self in trouble. Lol, ayy last I'm mature enough to know I'm too immature for a motor like that.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Axidjw- there are ford small block specific sites with years of information on them you can look into for your motor build. Most places I read they don't recommend "letter cams" as there are better options. Letter cam being e,b,x I think. Anyway not trying to discourage you or try to act like I know what I'm talking about, just trying to let you know there is a lot of research you can do to help you decide what would work best for you. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Motorhead351
The 350 HP is achievable with ported stock 302 heads but it's gonna be achieved up in the RPM range. Not really good for a heavy truck.
The 400 tq, just not happening with stock compression, even then....
If your truck runs good, drive it.
Find a roller 351w f4te stamped on the block or any 351w, build it up, when you get it done, drop it in place of the 302, you can reuse the headers, you'll have to modify the exhaust, as the 351w is taller and wider, but no big deal.
302 are more common, whether you go roller or not, or 302 or 351w, you need heads that breathe, efficiently aka not stock ones, a cam optimal for your performance intent and compression ratio, which should be closer to 9.5~10:1. Don't go overboard with the carb cfm.
But don't take my word for it, enjoy your truck as is, do your research, it's like anything, it seems unfamiliar and complicated, until you learn more.
Good luck
No worries brother, thanks for all the input. I'm talking to another friend tonight, who's a mechanic and does this kind of work to get some input as well. Last thing I want to do is spend a lot of money for something I'll regret. I'm just a working family man, don't want to get into a money pit..lol

Quick Reply: 75 F100 Pictures + Budget Build