1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

woodward guages

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM
bruce h
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woodward guages

New Vintage USA WOODWARD SERIES

Hi guys just fitted a set of these guages and having trouble with the fuel guage .. reads full even when not connected to the sender in the tank,,

any ideas ?

Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Have you tried connecting it up yet? Sometimes a floating ground (earth) can cause issues. You could always bench test it with a 12 VDC power source and a 100 OHM resistor...I keep a variable resistor/rheostat in my tool chest for just such occasions.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 PM
bruce h
Junior User
yes connected as per instructions, seems its getting a source from an unknown place

Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
We had a discussion about fuel senders some time ago. The point was raised about the OEM sender on the F1 being a "non-standard" sender...something about a heated bi-metal arrangement that did not act like a "modern" variable resistance to ground unit. Maybe some one else who is more learned will chime in...

EDIT: I found the link...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like an earth issue. Some of us guys are on Mars and we don't have that issue. Earth your gauge to the chassis or block. Check to see if your tank is earthed as well.
Is the sender an original sender or part of the same kit? Might be an issue there?

Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Hooking up the positive and negative backwards will make some gauges read full all the time. hooking the negative to the sender position will definitely make the gauge read full.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm having similar issues with my Dolphin gauges and new tank, when I picked up my truck,it was at half a tank. Filled it up and the gauge went to empty, I'm thinking he might have the wires backwards, but I really don't know. Didn't mean to hijack,I just want it back on the road. Thanks in advance, L8R ZFLASH

Old 02-20-2016, 11:58 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFLASH
I'm having similar issues with my Dolphin gauges and new tank, when I picked up my truck,it was at half a tank. Filled it up and the gauge went to empty, I'm thinking he might have the wires backwards, but I really don't know. Didn't mean to hijack,I just want it back on the road. Thanks in advance, L8R ZFLASH
I'm not sure what year truck you have as it isn't in your signature block but with dolphin gauges you cannot use the stock 48-52 sender. You have to use their sender AND an adapter to match the sender to the stock tank. I think that I have an extra Dolphin sender and adapter. If you are interested send me a PM.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Originally Posted by petemcl
I'm not sure what year truck you have as it isn't in your signature block but with dolphin gauges you cannot use the stock 48-52 sender. You have to use their sender AND an adapter to match the sender to the stock tank. I think that I have an extra Dolphin sender and adapter. If you are interested send me a PM.
I have a 55 with a ls2 engine and Mustangs Unlimited after market in the bed tank. My problem and ignorance is I didn't know the different ohms needed, looking for a 0-90ohm sender unit. I saw a company in Texas that has a tube like unit instead of a swing one. Just don't know what the guy who is working on it has figured out, I know he's getting frustrated. I sent him this and the other link, hopefully it will be figured out
Thanks, L8R ZFLASH

Old 02-20-2016, 04:28 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFLASH
I have a 55 with a ls2 engine and Mustangs Unlimited after market in the bed tank. My problem and ignorance is I didn't know the different ohms needed, looking for a 0-90ohm sender unit. I saw a company in Texas that has a tube like unit instead of a swing one. Just don't know what the guy who is working on it has figured out, I know he's getting frustrated. I sent him this and the other link, hopefully it will be figured out
Thanks, L8R ZFLASH
All you need is the working range in ohms of the gauge (Dolphin can give you that based upon the model of gauge you have) and the tank working range measure (i.e. Depth from tank top to empty and depth to full). The latter can be tricky as most tank manufacturers want some sort of vapor gap at the top. That can sometimes be as much as 2 ½ gal depending on the tank shape. With those measurements Dolphin can probably recommend a sending unit. Also don't forget the size and bolt pattern for the sending unit to tank mount.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Bruce,
Hmmm... Sender Unit Issues. I spent some time on that one in the dark past. We had Autometer Gauges
& 22 gallon 70 Mustang Tank. The Autometer (modern gauges) wanted a range of 0- 200ohms to work.
Our '70 Mustang tank sender unit wanted to send 11 ohms to 77 or so. Not compatible.

We took the sender unit back out of tank clipped off the original sending unit & soldered on a universal
sending unit working on the modern range of 0 ohms - 200 ohms. Set the float range to work with your tank & you are good to go. '

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-21-2016, 10:40 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Bruce,
Hmmm... Sender Unit Issues. I spent some time on that one in the dark past. We had Autometer Gauges
& 22 gallon 70 Mustang Tank. The Autometer (modern gauges) wanted a range of 0- 200ohms to work.
Our '70 Mustang tank sender unit wanted to send 11 ohms to 77 or so. Not compatible.

We took the sender unit back out of tank clipped off the original sending unit & soldered on a universal
sending unit working on the modern range of 0 ohms - 200 ohms. Set the float range to work with your tank & you are good to go. '

Good luck over there!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Hey Ben, is this you volunteering to do mine over next weekend , and while it's up there I can help you do my new door rollers and window felt,and the new actuators for my electric bed lift . Please, pretty PLEASE,.L8R ZFLASH

Old 02-21-2016, 10:43 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Or maybe we can go over to Toms since he's here in Htown,and he can do it

Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Now Derrick I think going by Tom's is a splendid idea!
I left my windows as the old crank style - too many painful
posts here on the electric windows & (1) piece glass.

You can help me change out the rear seal on my 351W -
I think I'd swap that one for your electric windows.

An electric lift bed? Kind of like a murphy bed for trucks?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-21-2016, 11:39 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Originally Posted by ben73058
Now Derrick I think going by Tom's is a splendid idea!
I left my windows as the old crank style - too many painful
posts here on the electric windows & (1) piece glass.

You can help me change out the rear seal on my 351W -
I think I'd swap that one for your electric windows.

An electric lift bed? Kind of like a murphy bed for trucks?

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
I'm leaving the windows crank style, I'm just replacing the rollers and felt. No the bed cover which is really heavy is what I'm using the actuators for,good to see that you're still on here and doing well. L8R ZFLASH

Quick Reply: woodward guages