Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who here runs lockers in their rig?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who here runs lockers in their rig?

Im think about purchasing a set of lockers and/or Lsd. What would you recommend for the front and rear of my f250 hd? Was thinking tru trac in rear, lock right front? I do drive in snow. Suggestions?

Old 02-15-2016, 01:00 AM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had lock rights in the rear of several trucks, including current 93 250. I like them, you do notice a little ratcheting on dry pavement in sharp corners. More noticeable with a stick shift. Only had one truck with a limited slip in front. It worked pretty well , especially off road. Jeeps & power wagons have front lockers but they are selectable, not sure about a mechanical locker in front. Might be a little quirky on the road.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
arb front and detroit rear.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 AM
CTC01
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a TruTrac in the rear of my F250 which tows my 18' flatbed, plows snow. Most of the time its on the road but it does some work in the fields and woods. The TruTrac made a HUGE difference and you don't even know its back there. If I was on wet roads taking off with a loaded trailer the truck wanted to spin a rear tire, but not now. Just smooth power to BOTH rear wheels even in turns.

Well worth the money.

Todd

Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I had an Aussie Locker in my F150 when it was still 4x2 and hated it. It chattered and bucked around corners something awful. I was told that my manual trans made this much worse, and I guess it did. I took it out and converted to 4x4 instead.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Truetrac in the rear is a good choice. Probably my first choice for a mostly street driven truck. Definitely my first choice if that truck will do much towing (personally I'd strongly consider a Detroit or a lunch box locker in the rear if the truck wasn't going to tow much, but there are downsides to that too).

If you plan to use 4WD on snowy highways DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER A LOCK RIGHT IN THE FRONT! I can't possibly stress that enough. I had one in the front of a '95 F-150. The first time I drove in on a snowy freeway in 4WD, first lane change I tried to make it jumped suddenly into the next lane before I had a chance to catch it. Then it did it again when I tried to change lanes back. I shifted it into 2WD and never used 4WD on the road again until after I had pulled the Lock Right out.

Only thing I'd even consider in the front axle on a truck that will be driven on snowy highways is a selectable locker like an ARB. And then I'd never engage it on the road, only when off-roading at lower speeds, or when trying to get unstuck.

By the way, here's link to a thread I started in the Offroad forum on diffs in general. It might help you out too. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erentials.html

Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
I have to agree with Nothing Special. My Trac-Lok will keep you on your toes anytime that the hubs are locked, in 4x4 or not. The steering will be heavier and will center after a turn faster than you can react at speed. If I was doing it again, I would put in a selectable locker.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:17 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
Thanks guys for your responses. I was thinking a no slip locker in the front might be a bad decision do to how squirrly they are on street. If money was no option i would definitely put air lockers in. But unfornunately im on a budget. So im cancelling my idea of lock right on the front. So im thinking two different options now...tru tracs on both axles? Or a lock right in the Rear and tru trac in front? Or do u guys think just leave the front diff open? I mainly drive on street with the common off roading adventure.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:21 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
Here is the truck we are talking about. Just alittle truck eye candy for your guys help!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I would never consider anything other than an open front diff driving on a snowy highway. So a selectable locker is the only traction-aiding diff I'd consider.

The problem is that when one front tire is pulling more than the other it trues to turns the steering, so you get a LOT of torque steer. An automatic locker (like a Lock Right) will be the worst for that, but any diff that will let one tire pull more than the other (which means anything other than an open diff) will do the same thing. Leave it open until / unless you same up for a selectable.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I have a Detroit in my Bronco and my pulling truck

HATE it in the bronco(99.5% street driven)
LOVE it in the pulling truck(1% street driven)

I have a Yukon Dura Grip in my Ranger

LOVE it Driven 98% on the road, plow snow all winter and go in the woods for firewood.

Moral of the story....
lockers belong OFF ROAD, limited slips for everyday work trucks

Old 02-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you could save some bucks and spool or weld rear

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I would never consider anything other than an open front diff driving on a snowy highway. So a selectable locker is the only traction-aiding diff I'd consider.

The problem is that when one front tire is pulling more than the other it trues to turns the steering, so you get a LOT of torque steer. An automatic locker (like a Lock Right) will be the worst for that, but any diff that will let one tire pull more than the other (which means anything other than an open diff) will do the same thing. Leave it open until / unless you same up for a selectable.
Thanks Nothing Special. Ill probably just leave the front open. Your diff post was very informative. I learned alot. Good work.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 PM
justcruzin125
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I have a Detroit in my Bronco and my pulling truck

HATE it in the bronco(99.5% street driven)
LOVE it in the pulling truck(1% street driven)

I have a Yukon Dura Grip in my Ranger

LOVE it Driven 98% on the road, plow snow all winter and go in the woods for firewood.

Moral of the story....
lockers belong OFF ROAD, limited slips for everyday work trucks
Thanks brad. Looks like i will go lsd. It spends more of its time on than off road

Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Scott03
Freshman User
Nothing Special,
If justcruzin doesn't mind I'd like your opinion on what to do in my own situation. I've also been looking into lockers and lsd's, ever since I tried to take my F250 up the gravel road into my timber property. There are some 10-15 degree grades, and one up out of a stream bed of maybe 15-20. But that thing wouldn't even go up the first, most gentle grade!

Then I put in a load of green 8' logs up to the bed rails for traction, and it was still no go, hardly any difference. The axle code says 39 (open diff, 3.55). I couldn't believe it, especially since my little Nissan 720 goes right up, even the steep part, and without a load on (it's also 2WD, open-diff, and somewhere around a 4.3 ratio). I wonder if the 3.55 ratio makes that much difference in traction, or maybe the long wheel base (extended cab and 8' bed) makes it harder for the tires to get a good bite?

I'd like to load up the bed with firewood and tow 3-4000 lbs of logs behind, but I've got to get up into the woods first. From what you say here, and in that other thread you wrote, it seems like the Truetrac is the way to go, or maybe one of the selectable lockers. We'll be mostly on the highway, aside from those forest roads.

Quick Reply: who here runs lockers in their rig?