1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Compression fittings Aluminum only???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Compression fittings Aluminum only???

Im working on some plumbing using AN fittings and have repeatedly come across where it says For aluminum tubing only when it comes to compression fittings.. I even asked the summit tech dept. and got no answer. I don't understand why you cant use a brass olive on steel or a stainless steel tubing. I did end up using one on my tank to fuel pump line as there is no pressure on the inlet side of the FP. But now Im going from the SS trans cooler line which Im told is a max of 50 PSI. Ideally what I really need is a 1/4" female inverted flare to 6 an fitting. 4,5, an or so would work (I could use reducers to get the 6AN), but after a solid hour on Summits tech support line who could not find my ideal fitting. So This brings me to using either a IFF to hose barb , which I have, or cut off the IF end that came on the cooler lines and use the compression fitting which I also have. Does anybody know why they say tat a compression fitting is to be used on aluminum only, thank you guys for any input. PS I did see a fitting that used a rubber sleeve that goes over the flare or bubble flare on the tube end that is part of a tube to an fitting. cool beans right, but I cant for the life of me find where I saw it last week. Bummer. OK enough of my ramblings, thanks again.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:29 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim sometimes the best bet is to go to a fleet service dealer as they have all the fittings or find a really good hardware store and not lowes or home despot they only have fans and washer and drier combo's. Besides that they really suck on service. No offense to anyone but that is the way it is with stores like that.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I could understand that a brass olive might not bite into a SS line, and you'd have to use a Swagelok on it. But I've used brass fittings on steel lines many times.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:35 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
ART , I have to show my ignorance once again but what would I look up to find a fleet service dealer? What type of fleet service, auto, truck?

Ross, OK I see where SS mite not give the needed bite, I thought it might of been the fact that they were two dissimilar metals. And Ill look up Swagelok, I had never heard the name B4, but will do some research.

There is so much I don't know about, and Id be dead in the water with out all you guys. So thank you very much. FTE Rocks on!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Swagelok isn't something you want to use, it's a very expensive system. Their "medium pressure" line is good for up to 20,000 psi....

But you can see how it provides a lot more bite in SS than an olive.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:07 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Swagelok isn't something you want to use, it's a very expensive system. Their "medium pressure" line is good for up to 20,000 psi....

But you can see how it provides a lot more bite in SS than an olive.

10-4 on that Ross. If Im unable to find an all threaded together solution, Ill probably go with the Inverted flare to a hose barb set up. IT wont be visible, (except I will know its there).

Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Jim in my area we have a shop called Fleet Pride they handle all truck type parts make hydraulic fittings and a lot of tube fittings. Like Ross said swagelok is very expensive and over kill. Go to your local hydraulic fitting house and ask for a catolog of their tube fittings it will have most everything in it plus it is educational and free. Parker, Weatherhead or Gates has them.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:27 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by artscott61
Jim in my area we have a shop called Fleet Pride they handle all truck type parts make hydraulic fittings and a lot of tube fittings. Like Ross said swagelok is very expensive and over kill. Go to your local hydraulic fitting house and ask for a catolog of their tube fittings it will have most everything in it plus it is educational and free. Parker, Weatherhead or Gates has them.
Cool, Im pretty sure we have a hydraulic shop in the next town over, thanks for that clarification. I always like learning new things.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:33 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Jim, Speedway has 1/4" IFF female to 1/8" male pipe thread. I believe Aeroquip makes a -6 AN to 1/8" female pipe thread. I could check my Aeroquip hose and fittings catalog tomorrow and get you a part #.
Mark

Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Thank you mark, I do still have the 1/4 iff to1/8 npt that I used on the original hard line to radiator conection, and also have the 1/8 to an 6 fitting , however the threads don't match pitch differences. My laptop just crashed, so it may be a week or two to get back to you. .I hate when this happens, I'll try to borrow this tablet again to get back on the board.Thanks again , I know that took a lot of looking, and I really appreciate it. I gotta give back this laptop now. RockOn

Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Jim, I checked the Aeroquip catalog and found this. I know Gates makes a fitting that is similar. My local auto parts store makes hydraulic hoses and they have the Gates tube to AN fittings. They are used to adapt a hose to a steel line and can also be used to replace a hose on a hose assembly that has a steel tube made as part of the assembly.

The 37 degree JIC fitting shown is the same as an AN fitting, Aeroquip calls them JIC in their catalog. I highlighted the numbers that might work for you.
Mark

Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Im working on some plumbing using AN fittings and have repeatedly come across where it says For aluminum tubing only when it comes to compression fittings.. I even asked the summit tech dept. and got no answer.
My recommendation is that you call AN Plumbing (Earl's Store #1) in Hawthorne CA. Ask for Tom (you can tell him Gustave referred you). He knows everything there is to know about automotive plumbing. He bought the store from Earl's and works extensively with Earl's in their new headquarters in Bowling Green.

https://www.anplumbing.com

Gustave

Old 02-14-2016, 02:25 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Thanks for posting the link Dr G, I am going to bookmark that one.
Jim, There is a compression fitting listed under adapters, on the above link, that is -6 AN to 1/4" hardline, good for up to 250PSI.
Mark

Old 02-14-2016, 02:30 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Well my laptop came on while I was cleaning it up to take in for repair, it acts like a mother board issue. Anyway Im glad I got on the net today, I see you guys are doing a lot of research trying to help me, and I appreciate more than you know. Mark I had been thru all those catalogs but didn't have a clue what the all the things meant. Thank goodness you do. I don't know how long B4 this laptop dies again, so Ill say again thank everybody for your help, I think Ill order the Versa Flare pieces Mark so kindly looked up, and Ill find a way to the site for updates even if its with a magnifying glass and my wife's 5year old cell phone LOL as the laptop is going in for repair.

Doesn't FTE rock? You bet it does!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Jimmy, here is a place in Chico for you to try.

Quick Reply: Compression fittings Aluminum only???