6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Demco Slider Hitch (pn 8550024)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:10 AM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demco Slider Hitch (pn 8550024)

Anyone use this that has the factory prep package? If so, I have a question. Being a slider hitch, do you have to be perfectly straight to hook up & unhook from it? I know some brands of hitches are more finicky than others about how straight on you have to be. Just wondering how this one is, straight on, or little fudge room.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:49 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you're not getting any replies, I will give you my opinion.

I can't believe that any fifth wheel hitch of any brand or design that would not allow you to hook/unhook at any angle you wish. Anywhere between the 180° plane (maybe more depending on your trailer) should work fine.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
certainly you should look at the specs to make sure of the degree of angle.
It should be able to pivot a good amount

Old 02-13-2016, 07:07 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
The Demco is known to need a very straight hookup angle based on reports on all the RV forums. It's a nice unit despite that. One other thing to consider is that it is 1.5" taller at each of it's settings than the Reese Elite or B&W. So, if you have an already too tall SRW (which is the only reason to have a slider), you'll have a tough time getting many RV's level and not nose high.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
I know I'm gonna need slider, and the trailer we are getting has the axles flipped, and it sits Very tall. That said, the extra height of the hitch would not be an issue. Not too excited hearing that they're known to needing to be very straight, but the feedback is what I'm looking for.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:53 AM
8ball1974
New User
Yes you would have to be straight; maybe a very slight angle but you'll have a little harder time hooking up. It has a metal rail on each side on top of the 5th wheel that hug the pin box. This is what makes it slide back when you turn.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8ball1974
Yes you would have to be straight; maybe a very slight angle but you'll have a little harder time hooking up. It has a metal rail on each side on top of the 5th wheel that hug the pin box. This is what makes it slide back when you turn.
Thanks for that info. The video I had seen on the hitch didn't have the metal rails on both sides. They have adjustable rails that you slide and lock into place once it was hooked up. I thought if that was the case, I could hook up at an angle, pull forward to straighten out, then set those rails. I don't consider that a deal breaker anyway, I was just wondering how it was. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 PM
8ball1974
New User
Originally Posted by AzBlueOval
Thanks for that info. The video I had seen on the hitch didn't have the metal rails on both sides. They have adjustable rails that you slide and lock into place once it was hooked up. I thought if that was the case, I could hook up at an angle, pull forward to straighten out, then set those rails. I don't consider that a deal breaker anyway, I was just wondering how it was. Thanks for the info.
Ya I actually thought about doing that once but the whole 5th wheel is turned so if youre at 90 that means you would have to drag your truck out side ways since the opening is on the the driver side of your truck. You could take the plates off before turning so it would stay aligned with the truck but then you probably
Wouldn't get the full angle you needed in the first place. You'll see what I mean once you get it. Either way I like it no complaints.

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
That makes sense what your saying. In my mind I was thinking something different, but what you said makes sense now. Another question for you. Do you ever take yours out or leave it in? I know some hitches you can take out in two sections, like a pin that releases the hitch part, then you take out the rails separately, or is this one all in one?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:54 PM
8ball1974
New User
Originally Posted by AzBlueOval
That makes sense what your saying. In my mind I was thinking something different, but what you said makes sense now. Another question for you. Do you ever take yours out or leave it in? I know some hitches you can take out in two sections, like a pin that releases the hitch part, then you take out the rails separately, or is this one all in one?
Never taken it out, never had a need too. But you can take the top off, it has a pin the holds it in place with the base then you have the whole base left that is held by 4 pins; one at each corner. Once I get my cover I'll probably take the top off since it will probably not clear.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:15 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8ball1974
Never taken it out, never had a need too. But you can take the top off, it has a pin the holds it in place with the base then you have the whole base left that is held by 4 pins; one at each corner. Once I get my cover I'll probably take the top off since it will probably not clear.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a way to leave the hitch hanging from the kingpin and detach the head from the base or detach the whole hitch from the truck bed? The solution for hooking up at a severe angle might be explored with some creativity.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:27 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Is there a way to leave the hitch hanging from the kingpin and detach the head from the base or detach the whole hitch from the truck bed? The solution for hooking up at a severe angle might be explored with some creativity.
I've read where people leave their hitch on the kingpin when not in use, but I wouldn't want it sitting in the weather. I'm just gonna get a cherry picker from harbor freight for $200 and use it for removing the hitch and putting it back in. I'll just store the hitch in my garage on a furniture dolly so I can move it wherever. It sounds like the head will detach from the base. I'm not expecting any severe angles, just going to reposition where the trailer sits at my house. Where my current tongue pull sits will be too much angle for the 5er to hook/unhook without hitting a tree or fence. But I can move the trailer back further and have a straight shot at hooking up.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Why not buy a tonneau? I have an Extang Trifecta cover that can be removed in less than a minute and leave my hitch in all summer unless I need the bed for something. The cover keeps the bed and hitch 100% clean and dry while closed.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
I use my bed all the time. Kids, quads, shooting, hauling stuff to the dump, and so on. So I can't leave it in all the time. Although it might be an excuse to tell my wife just so I can get a tonneau, which I have been thinking about.

Quick Reply: Demco Slider Hitch (pn 8550024)