Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f250 rear wheel seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 AM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cityjack
Morning all,

I need to do this same thing. Got the passenger side seal leaking. I was told to do the bearings while I'm in there. I am actually trying to find out how to get my axle out. 96' F350 7.5L 4 x 4 crew cab long bed, axle code C5.
I was watching some Youtubes where they remove the rear cover, remove a clip or something and then the axle slides out. But here I see a special axle or hub socket is needed. I am assuming a slide hammer to remove the bearing also. Any particular kind? the refill oil, does mine need the friction modifier also? What type or brand? Sorry for all of the questions guys. I want to purchase everything this weekend and do the work next weekend.

Thank you for all of your help.

Sid
The axle itself comes out by just removing the 6? Bolts in the center of the hub. It just slides right out. The only special tool you'll need is the hub socket. The bearings are just regular tapered roller bearings.

The procedure you're describing is for a half ton style non-full-floating axle.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath
....The procedure you're describing is for a half ton style non-full-floating axle.
... or a 10.25" semi-float from an F-250 (F-250HD and F-350 use the full-float 10.25")

Old 03-11-2016, 12:19 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
... or a 10.25" semi-float from an F-250 (F-250HD and F-350 use the full-float 10.25")
I think I covered that via "non-full-floating".

Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath
I think I covered that via "non-full-floating".
You had said "Half ton style." Arguable a 3/4 ton semi-float axle is a "half-ton style", but I wanted to point out that 3/4 tons have them too, and that there are 10.25" semi-floaters.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 PM
ifrythings
Laughing Gas
Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
What ever you do make sure you check and clean out the rear breather line AND fitting! They plug up and your axle starts to leak everywhere possible.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
I mean if we want to head off topic, half ton style fits.. It is essentially the same design, it's just a bit stronger. Gotta love a good technicality!

It still has an axle shaft that bears both the load and the torque, and doesn't use a separate hub that the FF 10.25" has. Eh either way, he stated F350 CC. No danger of a semi-floater there.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again guys. I picked up some Amsoil "SLIP LOCK" today as the friction modifier. NAPA man said good stuff. I run AMSOIL in a bunch of other stuff I have so I figured OK. Even though I had no idea that I needed a friction modifier and why. Just following your guys' advice. The salesman asked if I needed gear oil. I know I do but not sure if I need synthetic or non. I only pull my boat a few blocks to the boat ramp once a week. Nothing crazy other than that.
Thanks for the tip on the breather tube and fitting. On the bearing and 2 piece seal I you guys talk about from SKF. I like SKF. Do they offer a seal/bearing kit for my vehicle anyone know?

Thanks again guys and enjoy the rest of your guys' weekend.

Sid

Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
No need to run friction modifier with synthetic oil as it is already in the oil.

All adding the modifier will do is make the limited slip NOT work

Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford had a lot of trouble with the full float axle seals leaking. There is actual a TSB's out there for the problem. And yes use the new 2 piece seal. Also there is very little if any loss of fluid when doing this job. You do not have to pull the differential cover. Be sure and fill the hub with with the recommended differential lube before reinstalling. And yes make sure the differential vent and hose is clear.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Thank you guys. I'll return the modifier. I will order the Scottseal 2 piece seal. Do I just call SKF for this seal? Or can I get it from someone else? Sorry for the newb questions here guys. Not sure of the part # for the seal or the bearing I need. Also, I heard when replacing the bearing always do the race. Do I need to do that also?

WT, you mention filling the hub with the correct diff lube. Not sure whatthe recommended fluid is. not sure if I even need synthetic. Am I just filling the differential thru the axle end here? Is that what you are saying? To clean the vent and hose, do I just remove and clean and put it back? That's it?

thank you very much guys. I really appreciate you guys putting up with my questions.

Have a great day.

Sid

Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 AM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Hey guys,

Real quick couple of questions please. After I return the friction modifier that I do not need, what type and how much fluid for the rearend? Also, you all mention not having to remove the cover off the rearend. Do I just drain all and refill through the top hole? That's it? This differential vent, can I clean it while not removing the cover?

Thank you very much again guys.

Sid

Old 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
You'll need to pull the cover if you're changing the fluid. You don't need to pull the cover just to change the hub seal is what was meant.

If you jack up the one side so it's pointing up hill you won't lose very much oil. I didn't lose enough to warrant adding any when I did mine.

I'm not sure what the capacity is on the axle if you change the oil. According to the internet it's 3.25-3.5QT

And yes anytime you replace a bearing you need to replace the race also. They wear into each other.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Thanks death. Any special tool to remove the race and how hard is it?

I have the SKF34384 ScottSeal x2 and the bearing SKFBR3992 x2. Not sure what the SKF number is for the race? Any idea?

Thanks again.

Sid

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 AM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Friction modifier?

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
No need to run friction modifier with synthetic oil as it is already in the oil.

All adding the modifier will do is make the limited slip NOT work
Hey Diesel,

heading out for some oil for the rear before I do these seals finally. Just want to be straight. If I use conventional gear oil, I need the friction modifier? If I use synthetic, no modifier? Correct? It is a 4 L 10 on the rear tag.

4 qts ought to do me?

Thanks

Sid

Old 04-02-2016, 10:19 AM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Originally Posted by cityjack
Hey Diesel,

heading out for some oil for the rear before I do these seals finally. Just want to be straight. If I use conventional gear oil, I need the friction modifier? If I use synthetic, no modifier? Correct? It is a 4 L 10 on the rear tag.

4 qts ought to do me?

Thanks

Sid
Read the bottle, it will state if it already had the modifier in it, no matter what you buy.

Quick Reply: f250 rear wheel seal