1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Instrument Cluster Compatability

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Instrument Cluster Compatability

I'm about to purchase a 1995 Powerstroke F250. I haven't yet seen it in person, but for the price and direction I'm going, I think it's the best option on the market for me.

What I'm going to do is swap the engine/fuel pump and all needed wiring and accessories from the F-250 into my 1996 Bronco. The truck is in fair-ish condition, so I'm not going to be destroying something nice when doing this. However, I would like to keep my current odometer in my truck if possible.

For instrument clusters, I know that 96 is a special year, so 96 cluster won't work in a 95. I also know that the diesel and gas clusters do not swap. My questions are:

Does anyone know what wiring changes would need to be done to swap a 1996 gas cluster into a 1995 powerstroke?

Or better yet:

Does anyone know if I can just swap my 1996 ODOMETER into the 1995 powerstroke cluster without any wiring changes? Or again, if I need changes for just the odometer, does anyone know what may need to be changed?

Thank you in advanced! I'm super excited to finally be getting a powerstroke into my Bronco after almost 10 years. I'm hoping that I can get this swap done while doing my last semester of college at the same time! I'm going to keep my stock axles temporarily until I can get around to doing a SAS swap, so I won't be going to crazy with the stock axles. I will have to upgrade the front springs to F-250 diesel 4" lift springs, but that shouldn't be too bad. That will save me about 4k on new tires/wheels/front axle until I can get around to that. I will be getting a diesel ZF5 so at least there's that!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
YOu're going to be swapping almost the whole wiring harness. you could swap the whole dash harness as well.

96 clusters were different cause of OBDII. IIRC.

The PSD's had a different type of cluster all around.

Power on with this mod though. It's one i want to do really bad.
As well as what you have setup now.
I have a 302 with a m5od sitting around waiting to go in a bronco.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
You will need to swap front susspension to do this mod though.
The coils wont hold up the 1000 lb motor.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
You will need to swap front susspension to do this mod though.
The coils wont hold up the 1000 lb motor.
That is why he said he will be using F250 coils

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
That is why he said he will be using F250 coils
yeah, the 2wd 250 had front coils didn't it?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
yeah, the 2wd 250 had front coils didn't it?
Yup along with the F350s. VERY common mod for F150/bronco owners

Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yup along with the F350s. VERY common mod for F150/bronco owners
All my F150's were Coil fronts, never needed to upgrade them, they worked great.
Never thought about doing the swap into a 4wd though, that might be interesting.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There shouldn't be anything in the cluster that's depenent on OBD-I or OBD-II. The CE light is just an analog light. The PSOM is a stand-alone device that sends a speed signal out, but what picks up that signal could be an OBD-II PCM, an OBS PSD PCM (which is its own protocol), an IDI TECA/TCM, an EEC-IV module (possibly), or whatever. The PSOM should be the same in any case, however. The only other thing that would be dependent is the tach, and of course, you'll be using the diesel tach no matter what else you do.

Waitaminit - you're putting the engine in the Bronco, right, so why are you asking about swapping the Bronco cluster into the '95? Anyway, if you use both the underhood and full-dash harnesses from the '95 truck in the Bronco, the cluster from the truck will connect right up to it. Not sure why you'd want the Bronco odometer to be in play, since its mileage count would be for an engine that's no longer in service, but you could just swap the speedo heads, as they're interchangeable.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:41 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with madpogue that you shouldn't want to change the odometer.

But if you want to change the odometer, you can dismantle the cluster and change out the PSOM. Will it interchange? I don't know since I have never tried a gas PSOM with a diesel.

Here is what a PSOM looks like when removed from the cluster. Ignore the golden ribbon cable that is a duplicate LCD display. I had to change the LCD display on the cluster in my '92 Bronco because it was turning black.

I think the tire ratio to keep the speedometer correct is stored in the PSOM and may affect its accuracy. Or maybe I am just overthinking it.

Kevin

Old 02-12-2016, 06:39 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^ Yes, good call, calibration is one thing to consider. The PSOMs are interchangeable, but it depends on what tires the OP is eventually going to run. If they're close to the Bronco's current tire size, you could use that PSOM without recalibration. If they're close to the tires on the truck, you could use the truck PSOM. If they're something completely different, whichever PSOM you use, you'd have to recalibrate it. There are instructions on how to do it on the Intertubez; some sequence with the Select and Reset buttons.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I got super busy this weekend but now have had a time to take a look back here.

I decided I'm getting the truck so I'm getting it towed back to my place tomorrow. It's stuck in 5th gear and the shifter is super sloppy (moving all over the place but not getting out of 5th), so I'm hoping the shift lever itself somehow broke and I can take that off to put it back in neutral. I did buy a 4x4 ZF5 so I have an extra shift top I can try swapping in.

As for tire size. I have 33" tires and think I would like to keep that size, even when I eventually swap my axles out which will require 8 lug wheels and bigger rims. The tires on the F250 now are not 33", so my calibration would be off.

The odometer for the 250 is around 186k, and my Bronco is 232. I kinda wanted to keep my Broncos mileage just to keep a record of how many miles are on the Frame etc overall. I know at this point it won't really matter with a new engine/transmission (and eventually axles too), but I kinda like that it's the miles on my Bronco. That picture you posted krifenbu should be very helpful if I change things around so thank you!

I'm glad that swapping in 250 or 350 coils will be an easy sway too. I hope I can get some good 4" lift springs that won't cost me a fortune. Do the shock absorbers themselves have different ratings for heavy duty trucks, or is that mainly based on the springs? I know I need new shocks soon, so I don't know if I can buy replacement 4" rancho shocks like I have now, or if I'll need to upgrade those as well in the front for the diesel.